Windows 10: How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume? Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    05 Oct 2015 #1

    How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume?


    Hi All,
    Just shrank my boot system "E" drive slightly, now how do I move the new volume into the "C" drive?
    Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip_20151005100745.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	41149
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Oct 2015 #2

    Short answer.. you can't. As far as I know the empty volume has to be on the right had side of your C partition before you can expand it.

    Someone might have a better answer and I would like to know it it's possible.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Oct 2015 #3

    You can't do it with disk management but you can do it with MiniTool Free Partition Manager| Partition Wizard Free Edition or similar. This will physically move the data leftwards when you restart and are running outside of windows.

    They have a good tutorial on their website.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Oct 2015 #5

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Short answer.. you can't. As far as I know the empty volume has to be on the right had side of your C partition before you can expand it.

    Someone might have a better answer and I would like to know it it's possible.


    Jeff
    I thought this was going to be easy!
    I might expand my "E" drive back to it's original size.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Oct 2015 #6

    Cornishman said: View Post
    I thought this was going to be easy!
    I might expand my "E" drive back to it's original size.
    I think that's the right thing to do. That 800 MB you could add to C: is totally insignificant.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Oct 2015 #7

    Kari said: View Post
    I think that's the right thing to do. That 800 MB you could add to C: is totally insignificant.
    I think you're right!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Oct 2015 #8

    Well I am surprised to hear some of these answers. I've done what you want to do on my old computer, using MiniTool and from a Boot disk and it was EASY!!! no problem. left side or right side. Seeing how your New Volume is right next to your C-drive, MiniTool can extend your C-drive in about 5 sec's. BUT, like I always say, and do myself ... Make a image backup first. Then extend your C-drive. Bottom line is THIS can be done....with MiniTool ISO which is a free program.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Oct 2015 #9

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Well I am surprised to hear some of these answers. I've done what you want to do on my old computer, using MiniTool and from a Boot disk and it was EASY!!! no problem. left side or right side. Seeing how your New Volume is right next to your C-drive, MiniTool can extend your C-drive in about 5 sec's. BUT, like I always say, and do myself ... Make a image backup first. Then extend your C-drive. Bottom line is THIS can be done....with MiniTool ISO which is a free program.
    I think in this particular case it is not relevant if it is easy or not; the space OP could add to C: is 0.8 GB whereas the C: is already over 460 GB. The additional space gained is so insignificant the process is not worth doing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Oct 2015 #10

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Well I am surprised to hear some of these answers. I've done what you want to do on my old computer, using MiniTool and from a Boot disk and it was EASY!!! no problem. left side or right side. Seeing how your New Volume is right next to your C-drive, MiniTool can extend your C-drive in about 5 sec's. BUT, like I always say, and do myself ... Make a image backup first. Then extend your C-drive. Bottom line is THIS can be done....with MiniTool ISO which is a free program.
    I'm worried that if this doesn't work, I might not be able to restore my "E" boot disk into a smaller partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Please help! I am using am iMac with Bootcamp running Win 7. I have just upgraded to Win 10 with no problems. Except I can now not read my 2 x WD USB external drives. I am getting "the parameter is incorrect" error. In disk management it says the...
    Hi So my sister's Windows 8.1 laptop's hard drive is broken... with her OS on it. I'm getting her a new hard drive (internal) which I will fit, but it seems pointless to buy windows all over again when she still owns it. I was thinking I could...
    Hi, when restarting my laptop after a windows 10 update yesterday, got an " unmountable boot volume" message on start up with windows trying to repair but then goes to a black screen with nothing but a white cursor. only displaying black screen....
    Unable to delete folder, unable to change permissions, and unable to get One Drive to read to Documents folder correctly. I have attempted five times and each time it fails. So I try to delete the One Drive folder so I can reboot and try again,...
    Here is the story: I have one 64 bit mini-tower and a number of laptops. I held back on converting the mini-tower to W10 until about a week ago as it has ALL of my files (capitalized "all" for dramatic effect). I figured we were so close to the...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.
    Find Us