Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    27 Sep 2015 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetailz View Post
    Ok thanks, then i won't be doing anything 50 mb isn't that important to get back leaving it as it is after the move
    Well, I actually just did mine. My system reserved partition with the boot files was 500mb and it would not let me shrink it below about 400mb, so I unchecked that box and it let me shrink it down further to 350mb. Everything worked OK on my laptop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Sep 2015 #12
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 38
    xx
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Well, I actually just did mine. My system reserved partition with the boot files was 500mb and it would not let me shrink it below about 400mb, so I unchecked that box and it let me shrink it down further to 350mb. Everything worked OK on my laptop.
    Well i will keep the 407mb just in case something happens and who knows if it will work the same way it did for you.
    Now that i remember, i deleted my reserved partition also recovery partition, will there be any problem for that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Sep 2015 #13
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,082
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    If I may make a suggestion, when you receive software updates for all your 3rd party programs start saving the installers, and get ahold of any drivers from your OEM and save them to an external device, and think about a clean install and during install, destroy all partitions, then let Windows, set everything up as it needs. It should look like this then:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 001.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	39876
    ***Note the unallocated is for my SSD for Garbage collection.***
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    28 Sep 2015 #14
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 38
    xx
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    If I may make a suggestion, when you receive software updates for all your 3rd party programs start saving the installers, and get ahold of any drivers from your OEM and save them to an external device, and think about a clean install and during install, destroy all partitions, then let Windows, set everything up as it needs. It should look like this then:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 001.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	39876
    ***Note the unallocated is for my SSD for Garbage collection.***
    Well i have yet to backup, i will backup first then do that
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Sep 2015 #15
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,082
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetailz View Post
    Well i have yet to backup, i will backup first then do that
    There is no rush to do it as long as everything is functioning well and you have a working system.
    I waited a while then prepared everything, made a pot of coffee, then spent about 2 hours and was finished. To help speedup a re- or clean install to get the same desktop as before, let windows sync all your settings, that's one of my favorite features on 8 & 10, as it saves about an hours work. Important with 10 is get your video driver before hand, so you can install it right away, to be able to see everything else better in the correct resolution for your screen.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    28 Sep 2015 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetailz View Post
    Well i will keep the 407mb just in case something happens and who knows if it will work the same way it did for you.
    Now that i remember, i deleted my reserved partition also recovery partition, will there be any problem for that?
    The only problem with deleting the recovery partition is that you cannot reset your system without having a Windows 10 install media - which you should have anyway because if your hard drive goes bad, so does the recovery partition on that hard drive :-).

    So, incorporating what Cliff S said. There are two ways to maintain a good backup. 1 is to have a Windows 10 install USB or DVD available, and to have your data and programs backed up separately. The other is just to keep a complete system image backup and a rescue disk/USB that can restore the complete system image. (Such as Macrium Reflect Free). When you restore the system image, the Windows that was installed also gets restored with the image.

    Personally, I have both. I have a Windows 10 install USB and a full system image on an external hard drive (second, internal hard drive would also work).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Disk Partition Tool can't extend C
My desktop computer has a few hard drives in it and for some reason C: is on the second disk. It's maxed out and needs to be made bigger. I've uninstalled everything but have failed to make enough space to even backup my phone (Silly iTunes insists...
Performance & Maintenance
Reclaim space on hdd
I need to reclaim some space on the hard drive that my Windows 10 is installed on this pc. There is a Windows.old.000 folder (13.2 GB) and a Windows.old folder (9.09 GB). Can I still use Disk Cleanup with Windows 10 to do this, and is...
Performance & Maintenance
cannot extend and duplicate to second monitor & cant adjust brightness
hi everyone when i press win+p then click duplicate or extend it doesn't work. i tried connecting my laptop to my samsung tv via hdmi cable, it does not detect my laptop. and also i cannot adjust the brightness of my laptop. your help will be...
Drivers and Hardware
Space saver
Brink has a tutorial posted on cleaning up the Win10 WindowsSxS folder. Those same commands work on Win8.1 and possibly Win7, I can't recall for sure about Win7:huh: With all the large ISOs and ESDs floating around some may be low on space. I...
General Support
Solved can not extend monitor on build 9926 but could in old one
can anyone help me on this one? the old build I could extend my monitor but can't get it to detect my additional monitor on this, any advice? With a new dowload it now works, apparently they have fixed it.
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums