Windows 10: GPT vs MBR

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #31

    topgundcp said: View Post
    To allow you to quickly boot up into the recovery environment for rapair/diagnostic by:
    1. Win+R->Power->Restart with the SHIFT Key held down
    2. From Admin command prompt, run: shutdown /r /o /t 0

    It is your PC, you do what you want with it but Windows created it for a reason so I just keep mine the way Windows set up for and who knows what else you'll break by doing that. Saving a GB or 2 should not be a reason to delete those because during a Windows session, a lot of GB's might be created for tmp files, cache etc...
    Those are pretty good reasons, IF that is a users only way to TRY an recover. But if a user does image backups, and keeps them. The image backup is MUCH better to restoring the users system back to original, without having to reinstall the whole OS. Plus from past experience with some of windows features, I don't trust a few of them anyhow. Like having TWO restore partitions on the C-drive does not make sense. If windows installed correctly, should have made only 1 restore partition, OR added to or deleted the older recovery partition, thus, not making two. Just my thoughts.
    On another note, IF I messed up my C-drive partitions, wouldn't windows NOT boot up????
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #32

    Ok topgundcp, I will admit that the recovery partition is not working, cause I deleted it. But, I don't see what I broke to be able to run windows 10. Windows 10 does not need a recovery partition in order to run.....its an added feature.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #33

    Ok just for giggles sake, IF I would put ONE of those recovery partitions back......AND I CAN.......which one, 1st recovery partition that was almost a gig, OR the last one listed, that was 450megs????
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       24 Sep 2015 #34

    OldMike - check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...rved_Partition

    This is not intended as a high school or college paper reference, I know they're not allowed to cite Wikipedia. BUT, you never know, you may get something out of it - especially if you follow the Reference links at the bottom of the article.

    I've tried to explain this before but I don't appear to have the cred to carry the message.

    If your system works the way you like it to and you've got a robust imaging system, I think you're OK to keep on going as is for time being until you figure out for yourself why it needs to be different.

    HOWEVER, by "robust imaging system", particularly with the word "robust", I mean you've taken the leap and actually done full disk image restores, know for a fact that they work, and that your full (and/or differential-incremental) disk image schedule and organization is redundant.

    P.S. - if you have Macrium Reflect (free or paid, no matter), make a full disk image, then browse the image in Macrium (mount any of those partitions as a drive) and use File Explorer to look at all the files on each partition. You and google can figure out what you're looking at most likely - I know it worked for me - and you'll be able to sort out what you think is fluff and what is not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #35

    Word Man said: View Post
    OldMike - check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...rved_Partition

    This is not intended as a high school or college paper reference, I know they're not allowed to cite Wikipedia. BUT, you never know, you may get something out of it - especially if you follow the Reference links at the bottom of the article.

    I've tried to explain this before but I don't appear to have the cred to carry the message.

    If your system works the way you like it to and you've got a robust imaging system, I think you're OK to keep on going as is for time being until you figure out for yourself why it needs to be different.

    HOWEVER, by "robust imaging system", particularly with the word "robust", I mean you've taken the leap and actually done full disk image restores, know for a fact that they work, and your full disk images (and/or differential-incremental) schedule and organization is redundant.
    1st, thanks for the interest and reply. Now lets get into this. I make Complete image backups, have had to restore my OS MANY times in the past, using my image backups. They WORK better than anything Microsoft has. (In my opinion) So yes I know my image backups work. Acronis is what I use. Also tried Macrium Reflect, made an image backup using Reflect, took about 5 mins just to boot the dvd, then once I finally got their, took about 15 mins for a complete image of my C-drive. Acronis, which I have used for years, going back to 2006 anyhow, boots quicker on my dvd, does a complete image in less than 7 mins, restores in about 6 mins. It just works VERY well for me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       24 Sep 2015 #36

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    1st, thanks for the interest and reply. Now lets get into this. I make Complete image backups, have had to restore my OS MANY times in the past, using my image backups. They WORK better than anything Microsoft has. (In my opinion) So yes I know my image backups work. Acronis is what I use. Also tried Macrium Reflect, made an image backup using Reflect, took about 5 mins just to boot the dvd, then once I finally got their, took about 15 mins for a complete image of my C-drive. Acronis, which I have used for years, going back to 2006 anyhow, boots quicker on my dvd, does a complete image in less than 7 mins, restores in about 6 mins. It just works VERY well for me.
    That's a plus for you. I was in Acronis some years back but felt they went the bloat route and got tired of the major upgrades. But there's alot to be said for sticking with what you feel is most reliable for YOU.

    Myself, after Acronis, turned to Terabyte Software's Image for Windows/DOS/Linux and then, in past year, Macrium Reflect. I now use both (remember, REDUNDANT) and have, among many others I've tried (that aren't god-awful expensive), found those two to be extremely reliable - and hear the same from many others "out there".

    Terabyte is more complex that some folks like in its options but works great at default settings. Macrium's scheduling features intimidate some but, again, the defaults can serve one well, especially the Grandfather-Father-Son schedule template among the ones they provide to use as is or modify at will.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #37

    Word Man said: View Post
    That's a plus for you. I was in Acronis some years back but felt they went the bloat route and got tired of the major upgrades. But there's alot to be said for sticking with what you feel is most reliable for YOU.

    Myself, after Acronis, turned to Terabyte Software's Image for Windows/DOS/Linux and then, in past year, Macrium Reflect. I now use both (remember, REDUNDANT) and have, among many others I've tried (that aren't god-awful expensive), found those two to be extremely reliable - and hear the same from many others "out there".

    Terabyte is more complex that some folks like in its options but works great at default settings. Macrium's scheduling features intimidate some but, again, the defaults can serve one well, especially the Grandfather-Father-Son schedule template among the ones they provide to use as is or modify at will.
    Macrium didn't intimate me, it pissed me off for running so slow. plus the price tag if you want to buy it for home use is 69.99. I know about the free version, its installed right now, along with the boot disk I made. I don't like programs that run at a snails pace, or ask too high a price for their software, which, is not as good as my Acronis,which is faster, does the exact same thing, and is ALOT cheaper for the user to buy. Updates have only cost me about 29.00, last update 15 to 16 was free.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       24 Sep 2015 #38

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Macrium didn't intimate me, it pissed me off for running so slow. plus the price tag if you want to buy it for home use is 69.99. I know about the free version, its installed right now, along with the boot disk I made. I don't like programs that run at a snails pace, or ask too high a price for their software, which, is not as good as my Acronis,which is faster, does the exact same thing, and is ALOT cheaper for the user to buy. Updates have only cost me about 29.00, last update 15 to 16 was free.
    That's fine. You're not a horse I'll force to drink and I'd rather hand you a fishing pole than a silver platter piled with fish that you won't eat. But we're getting off the point of the thread, aren't we?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #39

    Again, if I have messed up my C-drive, then I will go back to the way it was this morning, and then, see what else I can do to make it acceptable for me, AND you guys, WHICH I RESPECT YOUR opinions VERY MUCH!!!! Hell I just might do it, to keep you guys happy. and prove that I CAN go back of course.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 26,345
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
    Thread Starter
       24 Sep 2015 #40

    Word Man said: View Post
    That's fine. You're not a horse I'll force to drink and I'd rather hand you a fishing pole than a silver platter piled with fish that you won't eat. But we're getting off the point of the thread, aren't we?
    Yes we are a little....not much thou. but nobody is giving my good reasons to change my c-drive partitions??? THAT is what I want, using the "recovery is needed" line, is just not sitting right with me. Even if you ask a Microsoft tech, they will tell you that its NOT needed, but you should have one......that doesn't sit right with me either. But, I am worried about that 128 meg partition that is unallocated, because its the MSR partition, and should not be unallocated. So I just might have messed that one up!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06.
Find Us