Windows 10: What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Sep 2015 #1

    What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives?


    Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they spin down something else causes them to start up again.

    They will eventually turn off but spin up again at a later time for no reason.
    I see that there is no data being written to them in task manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Sep 2015 #2

    Windows itself will wake the drives periodically for maintenance and such, if they are on USB then the drive itself may be just coming in and out of sleep mode.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 21,942
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       09 Sep 2015 #3

    Take a look here.. in power settings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-09-09_17h39_57.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	36646
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    09 Sep 2015 #4

    elbeasto said: View Post
    Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they spin down something else causes them to start up again.

    They will eventually turn off but spin up again at a later time for no reason.
    I see that there is no data being written to them in task manager.
    Unless you have a really good reason expecting them to turn off after one minute seems a bit drastic to me. Parking their heads that often may be worse than letting them spin all the time. The default of twenty minutes seems to be more realistic. HDDs are pretty resilient things , I've only had one fail in twenty years and I've had a lot from 420MB's upwards.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Sep 2015 #5

    mine are on 24x7 all the time never sleep at all never once failed and mine are at least 10 yrs old.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,338
    Windows 10 Professional
       09 Sep 2015 #6

    elbeasto said: View Post
    Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they spin down something else causes them to start up again.

    They will eventually turn off but spin up again at a later time for no reason.
    I see that there is no data being written to them in task manager.
    The drives will only stay idle if the machine is idle with no scans or searches, and probably numerous other things, going on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 21,942
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       09 Sep 2015 #7

    Edwin said: View Post
    The drives will only stay idle if the machine is idle with no scans or searches, and probably numerous other things, going on.
    Edwin, as always, you have an elegant way of stating the obvious.....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    09 Sep 2015 #8

    LoL @ Tomcat

    but yeah, thanks for the Wake settings, I didn't know it existed.

    The reason for the one minute setting is purely noise related & I'm looking to have everything on a silent NAS at some point so I only have an SSD in the desktop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    12 Sep 2015 #9

    My drives are still waking for no reason (that I can see).

    Is there a command that I can see what is actually accessing the drives? That way I can disable it, uninstall it or delete it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,338
    Windows 10 Professional
       12 Sep 2015 #10

    elbeasto said: View Post
    My drives are still waking for no reason (that I can see).

    Is there a command that I can see what is actually accessing the drives? That way I can disable it, uninstall it or delete it.
    You could try excluding certain drives from Defender monitoring.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000108.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	37160 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000109.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	37161
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Following the last updates I can no longer get my computer to wake up without shutting it off and restarting it. Why? Thank you so much you folks are so helpful to a Nana that knows so little about computers.
Hi, I have a Dell S2415h monitor which comes with built in speakers in the monitor. I also have set the turn off monitor at 5 mins, and sleep at 15 mins. My problem is that when I view youtube videos more than 5 mins, the screen will turn off...
Hi everyone! Since I've upgraded to windows 10 I've been experiencing some sporadic problems where my PC will not go into sleep mode. I ran powercfg lastwake in command prompt and it came up with Intel (R) USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller. I then...
So my computer goes to sleep every 10 minutes and I have to restart it , which takes a long time because my laptop is a low end com. Anyone know how to fix the black screen when I come back ? I tried to move my mouse no cursor no nothing just the...
disk storage in Drivers and Hardware
This is a odd one for even a support geek like me. For some reason windows 10 is reporting my total storage as 983gb and that all 983 has been used up even though I deleted a bunch of stuff and uninstalled some programs. I might add i also have a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:32.
Find Us