Windows 10: HG's PC upgrade

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    04 Oct 2014 #11

    You might want to upgrade (build a new one) everything soon, That MB has only SATA1 (SATA 1.5 Gbit/s) only, I'm not sure how an eventual SSD would behave with it. Even with SATA2 they run half speed. AHCI mode is essential for it's work too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    04 Oct 2014 #12

    I also agree with Mike.

    I would only upgrade that PC for the Now.

    Don't spend money on components that might just not
    be up to par in the near future. A waste of good money.

    Put the money asside and when you're ready to build you'll
    a bit more to spend on something worth spending on.

    This would be akin to a money pit.


    Flashorn.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    04 Oct 2014 #13

    I avoid ready made and brand name computers like a plague. They are always "something special", BIOS is usually a mess or poor with options and upradability next to none. They also tend to install marginal components.
    With a little help of manuals and common sense, anybody capable of using a screwdriver can put one together. Easier than average toaster I'd say.
    I never bought a complete desktop in my life since last Atari (and that one got modified in a hurry), just keep on upgrading one or few pieces at a time, I'm almost sure there are at least a screw or two since 1995 in my desktop. There's I think only an SSD and RAM that I bought from a store, all other parts were used, bought second hand or leftovers from a junked computer and everything works perfectly, full speed and OCed to max.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 31,251
    Dual boot Windows 10 Pro x 64 CU build 15063 & Insider Build 16273
    Thread Starter
       04 Oct 2014 #14

    Thanks for your concern, guys. Like I wrote in the OP, I'm going to be careful as to what I spend and can use on a new mobo.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 16,902
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       04 Oct 2014 #15

    CountMike said: View Post
    I avoid ready made and brand name computers like a plague. They are always "something special", BIOS is usually a mess or poor with options and upradability next to none. They also tend to install marginal components.
    With a little help of manuals and common sense, anybody capable of using a screwdriver can put one together. Easier than average toaster I'd say.
    I never bought a complete desktop in my life since last Atari (and that one got modified in a hurry), just keep on upgrading one or few pieces at a time, I'm almost sure there are at least a screw or two since 1995 in my desktop. There's I think only an SSD and RAM that I bought from a store, all other parts were used, bought second hand or leftovers from a junked computer and everything works perfectly, full speed and OCed to max.
    Just don't buy from eBay unless they have a return policy.

    All in all, it's much better to buy new. It may be expensive, but it will save you from having to replace in a year or two.

    -Chuck
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    04 Oct 2014 #16

    Chuck38 said: View Post
    Just don't buy from eBay unless they have a return policy.

    All in all, it's much better to buy new. It may be expensive, but it will save you from having to replace in a year or two.

    -Chuck
    I buy locally only, Ebay's too far for me, there's big market for stuff like that here, too many people with no means to buy new. For instance, there were/are many doing Bitcoin mining, AMD/ATI video cards are best for that. As that business is winding down there's a lot of top GPUs going half price with more than a year of warranty left. Many are upgrading piece by piece too so a gen or two back parts are aplenty. Some extra stuff I use to put together computers and give to kids that wouldn't get it otherwise.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 31,251
    Dual boot Windows 10 Pro x 64 CU build 15063 & Insider Build 16273
    Thread Starter
       07 Oct 2014 #17

    Just received my new PSU. Going to install. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll be broadcasting from 10 Preview soon.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    07 Oct 2014 #18

    ...I allways hate pulling them out of the box...you can't tell if they're dead from the outside... lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Oct 2014 #19

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Just received my new PSU. Going to install. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll be broadcasting from 10 Preview soon.
    Have fun HG! Mounting the psu is the easy part. It's making sure the wiring is neat and tidy that takes time. At least that was case for me!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 10,203
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       07 Oct 2014 #20

    Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38.
Find Us