Dell Laptop Intermittent Boot Problem


  1. Posts : 7,964
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    Dell Laptop Intermittent Boot Problem


    I have a 2014 Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop which was working fine until last week. Now when I do a cold boot I can see the hard drive LED flickering but nothing on the screen not even the Dell logo. Several long presses on the on button will eventually result in a normal boot. I've removed the battery for a while and the Dell diagnostics run OK. Any idea what's wrong here since I should always see the Dell logo and be able enter the BIOS?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 3,541
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 (May 2021 build 19043.1083)
       #2

    Looks like your hard disk might have a problem. When the laptop is stuck it probably tries to detect the hard disk and gets no response. You can check its health with many tools, such as Hard Disk Sentinel, Crystal Disk etc. I suggest that you backup your data and replace it immediately.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7,964
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    spapakons said:
    Looks like your hard disk might have a problem. When the laptop is stuck it probably tries to detect the hard disk and gets no response. You can check its health with many tools, such as Hard Disk Sentinel, Crystal Disk etc. I suggest that you backup your data and replace it immediately.
    It's an SSD and checks OK with chkdsk. Doesn't really explain why I don't see the Dell logo or can't enter the BIOS.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 18,034
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #4

    Hello @Steve C,

    Probably not, but did you have ANY external drives attached when you installed Windows that have now been detached ?

    Can you post a screenshot from your Disk Management. Make sure that ALL the text in ALL the columns is visible and showing the whole window. UPLOAD the screenshot using one of the following methods . . .

    > How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management
    > How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

    Alternatively, if you have > MiniTool Partition Wizard Free or > AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, use one of those instead.

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,728
    Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
       #5

    @Steve C
    1. Perhaps you installed software from mobo site which let's you control some aspects of BIOS?
    2. Can you confirm your keyboard keys used to enter BIOS work normally in the OS.
    3. Start -> Settings -> System -> Recovery -> Advanced startup option should let you reboot directly into BIOS.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,049
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #6

    The logo & POST are the first actions of the Bios.
    Not that I am a Bios expert but it seems to me that your Bios is not operating, not even starting.
    I suggest you check for imperfect motherboard connections.


    Best of luck,
    Denis
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,541
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 (May 2021 build 19043.1083)
       #7

    This is a common issue, when a disk either mechanical or SSD is faulty, the BIOS takes too long to detect it and the whole computer freezes until it can properly detect the disk and proceed to booting the OS. When your computer freezes at POST 99% is a faulty disk the other 1% is RAM or something else (CPU, motherboard, PSU). Check the disk's health with a utility, consider replacing if health is less than 95%. Also it might be that your PSU doesn't deliver adequate power to the disk. Try connecting a different SATA power cable. If issue persist maybe your PSU is faulty or too low and you should replaced it with a higher rating. 500W is considered minimum by today standards.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,404
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #8

    Check the RAM modules for error.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums