micro sd card showing as OTHER file system

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 428
    w10 1803
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Ah OK
    I have a Bootable Ubuntu and it doesn't recognize the drive at all.
    There was a small partition at the start of the micro sd card too
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 428
    w10 1803
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Guys any more thoughts on this?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6,194
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #13

    bartjunited said:
    Ah OK
    I have a Bootable Ubuntu and it doesn't recognize the drive at all.
    There was a small partition at the start of the micro sd card too
    Linux can't recognize the SD card is a bad signal.
    Sorry, but cant think on anything else.

    Maybe @jumanji has some ideas.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 428
    w10 1803
    Thread Starter
       #14

    No worries, if you guys can't think of anything then that's good enough for me. I'll just reformat the card.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 11,600
    Windows11 Home 64bit v:23H2 b:22631.2861
       #15

    Micro SD cards are generally formatted as exFat filesystem, which is a Microsoft proprietary file system. It will have a small unallocated volume at the beginning. Don't know whether Linux will recognise this proprietary file system. I normally reformat it to NTFS when received..

    micro sd card showing as OTHER file system-10-04-2023-10-01-41.jpg

    Note: Busy preparing for my flight to USA on 13th morning. Will not be available on these forums for any serious mind-wrenching technical posts till my return to India on 24th May and normalcy restored. .

    My Itinerary US trip 2023
    Last edited by jumanji; 10 Apr 2023 at 04:53.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 15,360
    Windows10
       #16

    jumanji said:
    Micro SD cards are generally formatted as exFat filesystem, which is a Microsoft proprietary file system. It will have a small unallocated volume at the beginning. Don't know whether Linux will recognise this proprietary file system. I normally reformat it to NTFS when received..

    micro sd card showing as OTHER file system-10-04-2023-10-01-41.jpg

    Note: Busy preparing for my flight to USA on 13th morning. Wiil not be available on these forums for any serious mind-wrenching technical posts till my return to India on 24th May and normalcy restored. .

    My Itinerary US trip 2023
    It is my experience most sd cards are usually preformatted as fat32. I cannot think of a single instance for an sd card being exFat formatted unless being deliberately done by a user.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 428
    w10 1803
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Thanks again everyone we can close this. I will just reformat the card as I can't see how we can retrieve anything on it
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 11,600
    Windows11 Home 64bit v:23H2 b:22631.2861
       #18

    cereberus said:
    It is my experience most sd cards are usually preformatted as fat32. I cannot think of a single instance for an sd card being exFat formatted unless being deliberately done by a user.
    May be. May be I delliberately did it for some experiment and forgot about it . But what I remembered was that when exFat formatted, there is an Unallocated volume in the beginning.

    And when viewed in Partition Wizard the exFat partition shows as "Other" as described by the OP.

    micro sd card showing as OTHER file system-10-04-2023-15-52-56.jpg

    In Windows 10, I can see all the data I had loaded into it.
    Last edited by jumanji; 10 Apr 2023 at 05:41.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums