Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 210
    Windows 10 Professional
       #1

    Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office


    The other day I move my PC. Other than maybe changing some USB wires. I had to extend my USB 3.0 cable to reach the monitor. I have not measured, but I would guess it is nearly 10' going to a hub on my monitor and I have another un-powered up connected to that. There is only one USB device plugged in.

    Since doing this work I have been getting period USB disconnect and reconnect sounds. I have checked the event viewer and saw this. Can anyone help me trouble shoot from here?
    Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office-2023-03-22_07-26-42.jpg


    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 5,024
    Windows 10/11 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #2

    Hi.

    Disconnect all USB cables from the system except the 10 foot one using the same USB port. Reboot and check again. If no good, try another USB 3.x port.
    Is your PC a Desktop? Check that nothing came loose internally, just in case.

    If that doesn't solve the issue, I have a question:

    Has this 10 foot cable been tested on another system? Who makes it?

    TIA

      My Computer


  3. Posts : 210
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Compumind said:
    Hi.

    Disconnect all USB cables from the system except the 10 foot one using the same USB port. Reboot and check again. If no good, try another USB 3.x port.
    Is your PC a Desktop? Check that nothing came loose internally, just in case.

    If that doesn't solve the issue, I have a question:

    Has this 10 foot cable been tested on another system? Who makes it?

    TIA

    As far as the cable, I can only say I had no issues before the wiring. It is the same cable, but could be in a different port. I will give your tips and try and get back to you.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,600
    win10 home
       #4

    Does Device Manager have any warning flags ?
    With the device plugged in and in Device Manager,select View>devices by connection>plug & play software device enumerator>action>scan for hardware changes.
    Also in View,try the "Update Driver"option.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 210
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #5

    joeandmarg0 said:
    Does Device Manager have any warning flags ?
    With the device plugged in and in Device Manager,select View>devices by connection>plug & play software device enumerator>action>scan for hardware changes.
    Also in View,try the "Update Driver"option.
    Yes, that helped. I had checked earlier and saw nothing, but thought to check back as this seems to be a transient condition. Now, there was a flag on one usb entry.
    Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office-2023-03-22_16-08-49.jpg


    I guessed it might be related to the cable in question. The cable I am referring to is actually two cables connected end to end- a USB 3.0 Extension Cable Type A Male to Female
    Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office-71gjtd2krvl._sl1200_-phone-.jpg


    which is plugged into a mainboard USB 3.0 port. The other end is connected to a USB 3.0 Cable - A-Male to B-Male
    Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office-71gtgojctal._sl1500_-phone-.jpg


    which is then plugged into the USB hub built into my monitor.

    I have disconnected the USB 3.0 A to B Cable and the error flag disappears immediately. I plugged in my wireless headset USB dongle into the end of the extension cable and it has been working flawlessly. This leads me to think the problem is related to either the USB 3.0 Cable - A-Male to B-Male or the usb hub in the monitor.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 5,024
    Windows 10/11 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #6

    SJMaye said:
    As far as the cable, I can only say I had no issues before the wiring. It is the same cable, but could be in a different port. I will give your tips and try and get back to you.
    Do you have another cable to test with? Kind of interesting that this happened after a move.

      My Computer


  7. Posts : 210
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Compumind said:
    Do you have another cable to test with? Kind of interesting that this happened after a move.

    This cable is the one in question now and no, I don't have another.
    Weird USB disconnects and reconnects since reorganizing office-71gtgojctal._sl1500_-phone-.jpg

    As far as this happening after the move, that is correct, but reminds me my original statement was incorrect. I did make a change and it was this cable and trying to use the monitor USB hub. I did not use these before.

    What are the odds the cable is bad? The monitor USB hub is bad?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 6,393
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #8

    USB 3.x works at 5G bps or higher. USB cable are made with some twisted pair cables.
    Long USB 3.x cable won't work.
    Try to plug on a USB 2.0 port.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 210
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Megahertz said:
    USB 3.x works at 5G bps or higher. USB cable are made with some twisted pair cables.
    Long USB 3.x cable won't work.
    Try to plug on a USB 2.0 port.
    The cable length was the issue. I was able to rewire using shorter cable lengths and the issue is gone. Thank you guys for all your help!
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 5,024
    Windows 10/11 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #10

    SJMaye said:
    The cable length was the issue. I was able to rewire using shorter cable lengths and the issue is gone. Thank you guys for all your help!
    I also have a 12 foot low-loss USB 3.x Cable. Works fine. Did you buy a no-name?
    The USB 3.0 spec is good for about 9 feet.

      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums