Use DriverStore Explorer to remove installed drivers?


  1. Posts : 1,744
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Use DriverStore Explorer to remove installed drivers?


    I don't know enough about this area to know if I can actually remove a problematic driver using this tool.

    I was tying to update my existing Win 10 64 Pro installation with AMD X670E chipset drivers. I just installed this board, to replace an AMD X570 chipset board. Even though the driver install failed, Windows seems to run OK.

    Right now I'm having problems with some non-functioning USB ports.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 22,696
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4046 (x64) [22H2]
       #2

    x509 said:
    I don't know enough about this area to know if I can actually remove a problematic driver using this tool.

    I was tying to update my existing Win 10 64 Pro installation with AMD X670E chipset drivers. I just installed this board, to replace an AMD X570 chipset board. Even though the driver install failed, Windows seems to run OK.

    Right now I'm having problems with some non-functioning USB ports.


    I would try it the normal way... first.

    Use Programs & Features to remove the existing chipset driver.
    Then... install this driver...
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/chips...cket-am5/x670e
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,744
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ghot said:
    I would try it the normal way... first.

    Use Programs & Features to remove the existing chipset driver.
    Then... install this driver...
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/chips...cket-am5/x670e
    @Ghot,

    Programs and Features did not display any drivers from AMD (or many other drivers)

    I've been thinking that at some point soon, I need to do a wipe and clean of the C: partition and upgrade to Win 11. Am I at this point, or can I get by for a while by just getting a proper install of the AMD X670E drivers?
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 22,696
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4046 (x64) [22H2]
       #4

    x509 said:
    @Ghot,

    Programs and Features did not display any drivers from AMD (or many other drivers)

    I've been thinking that at some point soon, I need to do a wipe and clean of the C: partition and upgrade to Win 11. Am I at this point, or can I get by for a while by just getting a proper install of the AMD X670E drivers?



    Yeah, you definitely "need" chipset drivers. I'm guessing you're now running with some generic MS chipset drivers.
    Install the AMD chipset drivers... post haste. The chipset drivers are responsible for all kinds of weird little things in Device Manager. This is from an ASUS X670E Pro motherboard, but they're all pretty much the same...
    And they DO show in Programs & Features.

    The "chipset is shown in the RED boxes...
    Use DriverStore Explorer to remove installed drivers?-image1.jpg


    Use DriverStore Explorer to remove installed drivers?-image1.png




    Think of the chipset as similar to a traffic cop at a very busy intersection.
    Last edited by Ghot; 15 Mar 2023 at 21:47.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,744
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    @Ghot,

    This time the install worked. Maybe I was just impatient and got stymied where I should have just retried.

    Anyway all is good now.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 22,696
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4046 (x64) [22H2]
       #6

    x509 said:
    @Ghot,

    This time the install worked. Maybe I was just impatient and got stymied where I should have just retried.

    Anyway all is good now.


      My Computer


  7. Posts : 149
    Windows 11 Education
       #7

    x509 said:
    I don't know enough about this area to know if I can actually remove a problematic driver using this tool.

    I was tying to update my existing Win 10 64 Pro installation with AMD X670E chipset drivers. I just installed this board, to replace an AMD X570 chipset board. Even though the driver install failed, Windows seems to run OK.

    Right now I'm having problems with some non-functioning USB ports.
    I always use it, heck, when I restore my laptop's recovery image which has slightly older drivers, I remove everything including all AMD drivers then reinstall all the latest drivers from scratch
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 20
    seven ten NTSC eleven
       #8

    "An error occurred. No operation was performed. Verify that DISM is installed properly in the image, and then try the operation again"... anyone has any an idea what's up?

    I guess that some part of programs and some utilities always look for system components in C:\ drive... unfortunately my systems are never on C:\ so this error is invoked by looking for DISM to open offline Driver Storage and fails.
    O this error is something else...
    Please help.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4,443
    several
       #9

    did you mean to post in a different thread ?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7,829
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
       #10

    x509 said:
    I don't know enough about this area to know if I can actually remove a problematic driver using this tool.

    I was tying to update my existing Win 10 64 Pro installation with AMD X670E chipset drivers. I just installed this board, to replace an AMD X570 chipset board. Even though the driver install failed, Windows seems to run OK.

    Right now I'm having problems with some non-functioning USB ports.
    Yes, you can use DSE to remove a driver. It won't normally let you remove an active driver needed to boot. Ensure you have a system backup before removing any drivers.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums