How do I format this dynamic disk? (or get rid of this parition)  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,044
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #11

    SIW2 said:
    I suggest the op creates an esp part on disk1 and populates it with bcdboot, then set disk 1 as first in bios boot order.

    then he will be able to monkey around with the dynamic disk.
    That is the way I was planing to do.
    I just want to make sure the drives are UEFI-GPT
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 3,537
    several
       #12

    They are.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,044
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #13

    SIW2 said:
    They are (GPT).
    Let's do the second step that is to make drive 1 self boot able. We need to create a EFI Fat32 partition and install the boot manager on it.

    Open a CMD window as administrator and type:
    diskpart
    select vol c
    shrink desired=100
    create par EFI
    format quick FS=fat32 label=EFI
    assign letter=W
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: /f UEFI
    diskpart
    select vol W
    remove letter=W
    exit
    exit

    Shut down, detach drive 0 (SATA or power cable), select drive 1 as your priority boot drive on BIOS and boot from drive 0.
    Report
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 44
    Windows 10 v20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Berton said:
    My solution in such a situation is not Windows-based when Windows can't do it. I use either the Linux-based bootable GPARTED [GNU Partition Editor] LiveCD made from a downloaded .iso file or the same program on my Linux computer to wipe drives completely clean. I just downloaded the MiniTool Partition Wizard to try at next opportunity.
    I've been considering doing that, however reading the rest of the posts, it seems like jumping into that is a bad idea.

    cereberus said:
    Assuming OP gets over that hurdle (testing pc boots with drive 1 temporarily removed)
    I didn't even have disk 1 when I originally broke things and I could use Windows just fine. Although after installing Windows on this disk 1 (I never uninstalled Windows on the other disk), I get the option to boot into either this OS, my old OS or a third Windows that simply does nothing when I try booting into it and it shows no volume number. My plan is to use disk 1 for my OS and disk 0 for another OS/backups.

    Megahertz said:
    First thing you need to do is to find out what type of drives you have (MBR or GPT)
    Second is to make drive 1 self boot able.
    third is to clean drive 0 and format it to be used as a data drive.

    Lets find out if the drives are MBR or GPT

    Open a CMD window as administrator and type:
    diskpart
    list disk (it will list all drives. Identify windows drive number) Does it has an * on the GPT column?
    Sel disk 0
    list part (does it has a EFI FAT32 partition?
    list volume
    exit (to exit diskpart)

    Use the snipping tool to take a snapshot of the CMD window.
    Paste the image here.
    How do I format this dynamic disk? (or get rid of this parition)-diskpart.png

    Probably worth noting this, not sure why there's just a missing disk in disk management:
    How do I format this dynamic disk? (or get rid of this parition)-missingdisk.png
    The only two drives in my computer are disk 0 and 1, not sure what this disk is. Maybe it was reading my old 500 GB SSD twice, judging by the size and the fact that it's dynamic. Maybe this is the broken Windows that is in the OS selection screen when I boot up my pc.

    Megahertz said:
    Let's do the second step that is to make drive 1 self boot able. We need to create a EFI Fat32 partition and install the boot manager on it.
    ...

    ...
    Report
    It's getting late, I would rather not do this today. I'll try tomorrow, although I am scared due to not having backups of the stuff on here. I really should back some stuff up, but I don't have a large enough external drive.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,136
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home
       #15

    IDKAGN said:
    I've been considering doing that, however reading the rest of the posts, it seems like jumping into that is a bad idea.
    Your choice, I've been doing it since installing Linux Mint 13, now at 21.1.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 5,044
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #16

    @IDKAGN, did you succeed on creating the EFI partition on drive 1?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 44
    Windows 10 v20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Megahertz said:
    @IDKAGN, did you succeed on creating the EFI partition on drive 1?
    Yes! I did what #2505103 told me to do and my primary Windows 10 booted without issues. I have disconnected the other drive in my BIOS and set it to boot after my primary SSD. Somehow it also seems to have removed the extra broken entry for Windows 10 as I did not have to choose an OS when booting my computer.
    How do I format this dynamic disk? (or get rid of this parition)-disks2.png
    Now that my SSD with my primary Windows 10 boots on its own, I assume I should try this:
    Berton said:
    My solution in such a situation is not Windows-based when Windows can't do it. I use either the Linux-based bootable GPARTED [GNU Partition Editor] LiveCD made from a downloaded .iso file or the same program on my Linux computer to wipe drives completely clean. I just downloaded the MiniTool Partition Wizard to try at next opportunity.
    But I'll wait for responses first, just in case it's a bad idea.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,044
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #18

    IDKAGN said:
    Yes! I did what #2505103 told me to do and my primary Windows 10 booted without issues. I have disconnected the other drive in my BIOS and set it to boot after my primary SSD. Somehow it also seems to have removed the extra broken entry for Windows 10 as I did not have to choose an OS when booting my computer.

    Now that my SSD with my primary Windows 10 boots on its own.
    You have created a new boot manager on drive 1 where it also has the C: partition.
    The other boot manager on drive 0 is still there, with the extra broken entry for Windows 10, you're just not using it.

    What do you want to do with drive 0? I suggest you clean it to get rid of the dynamic partitions.
    Before you clean it you have to disable the recovery partition on drive 0 and create one in drive 1.

    Are you able to save all data on drive 0 on drive 1 so we can clean drive 0?
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 44
    Windows 10 v20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Megahertz said:
    You have created a new boot manager on drive 1 where it also has the C: partition.
    The other boot manager on drive 0 is still there, with the extra broken entry for Windows 10, you're just not using it.

    What do you want to do with drive 0? I suggest you clean it to get rid of the dynamic partitions.
    Before you clean it you have to disable the recovery partition on drive 0 and create one in drive 1.

    Are you able to save all data on drive 0 on drive 1 so we can clean drive 0?
    I'm planning to use it for either a second OS (maybe linux mint?) or archives of old software and other media.

    How can I create a recovery partition on drive 1?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,044
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #20

    To create a Recovery partition on drive 1

    Open a CMD window as administrator and type or do copy and paste line by line:

    diskpart
    select vol C
    shrink desired=850
    create part prim
    format quick FS=NTFS label=Recovery
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    assign letter=W
    exit
    Reagentc /disable
    Reagentc /setreimage /path W:\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Reagentc /enable
    Reagentc /info (to check if the recovery is on drive 1 and enabled)

    diskpart
    select vol W
    remove letter=W
    exit

    To clean drive 0. All data will be lost Only do it after disabling the old Recovery on drive o (Reagentc /disable)

    diskpart
    list disk (it will list all drives. Identify the drive number)
    select disk n (replace n by the drive number obtained with list disk)
    clean
    convert GPT
    create part primary
    select part 1
    format fs=NTFS quick
    assign
    exit (to exit diskpart)
    Last edited by Megahertz; 27 Jan 2023 at 13:53.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums