Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       24 Aug 2015 #1

    Samsung 850 pro Compatibility issues with Windows 10?


    I have had a 850 pro for 4 months with no issues running that i can remember. After having Win 10 beta then going to the full upgrade my SSD drive decided it would want to act up. I would get random freezes, Samsung magician telling me the drive is now on sata 2 instead of sata 3...things like that.(Drive was set for ahci mode like it said to have it) Tried to see if there was a new firmware but it was updated to the latest one i believe when i first got it. Since then i have swapped back to my old regular hard drive. Ran memory/system tests and everything i could think of but the drive just doesn't function right most of the time. I can still run windows on it but there is a bottleneck for sure.

    So just wondering does anyone think it could be an issue with the drive or maybe the firmware not being certified yet for Windows 10? I can't seem to get through the process of an RMA on the samsung website or find much info besides the firmware being flaky and pulled from the website. Just strange i would have issues with it now i guess. Not sure what to do or why samsung would atleast update there firmwares more often for a possible fix.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,963
    All kinds
       24 Aug 2015 #2

    Only possible explanation would be Chipset drivers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Pro
       24 Aug 2015 #3

    I was able to correct my Samsung 850 Pro from freezing up by turning off the ALPM setting in the Intel drive controller manager settings. Seems that the Samsung SSD's do not like that setting. Freezing was accompanied with the following Event Error in the system log:
    The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

    I'm not sure if this happens with other controllers but I thought I would share.

    Frank
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       24 Aug 2015 #4

    CountMike said: View Post
    Only possible explanation would be Chipset drivers.
    When i setup windows 10 i don't think i installed any of the older chipset drivers from the website. Do you think maybe if i reinstalled those Windows 8.1 drivers it would help? It is a Dell Alienware laptop btw.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       24 Aug 2015 #5

    My Spot said: View Post
    I was able to correct my Samsung 850 Pro from freezing up by turning off the ALPM setting in the Intel drive controller manager settings. Seems that the Samsung SSD's do not like that setting. Freezing was accompanied with the following Event Error in the system log:
    The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

    I'm not sure if this happens with other controllers but I thought I would share.

    Frank
    I can't say that i heard of that before but, does this seem like the way to find out how to change it?

    The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period Solutions Log

    The one thing i should of done was check the system logs before i pulled the drive. Maybe i'll see about sticking the drive back in and trying it out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Pro
       24 Aug 2015 #6

    I made the change using the Intel software but otherwise - yes, that's it! Once I made the change the freezing and lockups stopped. My guess is that Windows 10 switched the ALPM option back on. Hope it works for you like it did for me...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,005
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 Aug 2015 #7

    nd022 said: View Post
    I can't say that i heard of that before but, does this seem like the way to find out how to change it?

    The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period Solutions Log

    The one thing i should of done was check the system logs before i pulled the drive. Maybe i'll see about sticking the drive back in and trying it out.
    Before trying anything you did need to check in Event Viewer, errors still be there ? I have Samsung 850 not the pro no issues in Windows 10 and all Intel on mine, chipset and controllers, but best we have model and make check out all specs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       24 Aug 2015 #8

    My Spot said: View Post
    I made the change using the Intel software but otherwise - yes, that's it! Once I made the change the freezing and lockups stopped. My guess is that Windows 10 switched the ALPM option back on. Hope it works for you like it did for me...
    Thanks! Later on today i'm gonna swap the drives and see how it goes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       24 Aug 2015 #9

    jds63 said: View Post
    Before trying anything you did need to check in Event Viewer, errors still be there ? I have Samsung 850 not the pro no issues in Windows 10 and all Intel on mine, chipset and controllers, but best we have model and make check out all specs.
    I really should of and can't say why i didn't check that before swapping the drives. You have the 850 EVO drive right? That's good though yours is still working for you, and may get that one if i can't figure this out. Once i get a chance to put the drive back in and reinstall Windows 10 i'll check the error logs again and post it back here.ty
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,005
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 Aug 2015 #10

    nd022 said: View Post
    I really should of and can't say why i didn't check that before swapping the drives. You have the 850 EVO drive right? That's good though yours is still working for you, and may get that one if i can't figure this out. Once i get a chance to put the drive back in and reinstall Windows 10 i'll check the error logs again and post it back here.ty
    Always check event viewer log, regardless it will still be there and as I would not attempt a fix based on another fix until you know for sure it is same as yours is.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 Compatibility with MS Money2003 and IE
Hello Group: I just installed Windows 10 upgrade to Windows 8.1, and now find that I am unable to run MS Money 2003. I need MS Money 2003, because I have financial records going back to 1996! I am shown an error dialogue that says something...
Software and Apps
Questions about FSX compatibility on Windows 10
Hi this is my first post on this forum and I am planning on building a gaming PC soon and am wondering if i should get windows 10 with it. I also want to get FSX but with the issues I've seen with the FSX community on windows 8.1 with the crashing...
Gaming
Windows compatibility
Hello I have a question. If I buy Win 10 at amazon can I used outside the US. Or the Windows of each country is for that specific country?
Drivers and Hardware
Windows 10 and Samsung 850 EVO SSD performance issues
I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and am getting extremely slow performance from my Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Running Samsung magician to test my benchmark performance, I am getting: Random read/write (IOPS) of 16483/17594 respectively Seq...
Performance & Maintenance
windows 10 compatibility problem
NEED HELP. I CAN'T ABLE TO UPGRADE MY WINDOWS 10. I AM FACING THIS PROBLEM. TELL ME THE SOLUTION. HOW TO SOLVE. THANKS. "The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums