Can someone explain how to check if a USB Flash Drive is Single Sector

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
       #1

    Can someone explain how to check if a USB Flash Drive is Single Sector


    The motherboard I purchased for my new system is an Asus Rog Strix X570-E and I found instructions on using the USB Bios Flashback and it says quote "Prepare a USB flash drive with a capacity of 1GB or more. *Requires a single sector USB flash drive in FAT16 / 32 format. "

    The part that has me very very confused is the "single sector" part. I did a google search and the only reference I could find to the words "single sector" is an article that stated "PC DOS (earlier versions at least) could only address 65,536 blocks (64K), and each block could only be a single sector. Thus, the largest size a disk volume could be was 32mb (64K * 512K)."

    Now the motherboard instructions says the USB flash drive can be 1 GB or more, but the article I found above said it could only be 32 MB. Obviously it can be larger then 32 MB, since the motherboard said "1 GB or more". But really have no idea how to check if my USB flash drive is single sector or not?

    Can someone tell me how to check if my USB flash drive is single sector or not? It is a 32 GB USB Flash Drive, USB 2.0, and is formatted to Fat 32.
      My Computer

  2. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,484
    Windows 11 Pro, 21H2
       #2

    Welcome to TenForums!

    That is almost certainly an error. I think that they mean single partition.

    I think that something got lost in the translation
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I was thinking about it for a while, could they mean, no more then 512 bytes in an allocation unit?

    I have to take apart my current computer, to move the CPU to the new motherboard, so really want to make sure I have the USB flash drive formatted correctly before I lose my current computer, while upgrading to the new motherboard.
      My Computer

  4. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 15,110
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #4

    Hello @Staragox,
    Welcome to TenForums.


    Staragox said:
    The motherboard I purchased for my new system is an Asus Rog Strix X570-E and I found instructions on using the USB Bios Flashback and it says quote "Prepare a USB flash drive with a capacity of 1GB or more. *Requires a single sector USB flash drive in FAT16 / 32 format ".
    I think that is supposed to read as a Single Partition.

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #5

    You might be right. Could just be a typo.

    I think the smallest sector is 512 bytes, so I could reformat the USB drive (its 32 GB), to 512 bytes allocation size.

    Just making sure it will work when I put together the new system.

    Also I think you can use USB Flashback (which is what the Asus Motherboard has) without a CPU attached, but trying to confirm that too.

    And I posted before to the SevenForums, back when Windows 7 was my main operating system. This is the first time, I am posting to the TenForums. I presume it is the same people that run the old SevenForums, that runs this forum?
      My Computer

  6. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 16,576
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    My vote is single partition. I've never had an issue flashing bios from an MBR partition USB flash formatted as FAT32. I've never had to adjust sector size or anything.
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Well I think the BIOS Flashback allows you to flash the bios without a CPU installed, so there may be special requirements.

    It requires plugging the USB Flash Drive into a specific USB port (only one port on the motherboard will work with it).

    I am not sure if I will use the BIOS Flashback, but if something goes wrong, I think you can use it to fix the BIOS. Just trying to get everything ready before I upgrade.
      My Computer

  8. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 14,178
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1387 (x64) [21H2]
       #8

    Staragox said:
    Well I think the BIOS Flashback allows you to flash the bios without a CPU installed, so there may be special requirements.

    It requires plugging the USB Flash Drive into a specific USB port (only one port on the motherboard will work with it).

    I am not sure if I will use the BIOS Flashback, but if something goes wrong, I think you can use it to fix the BIOS. Just trying to get everything ready before I upgrade.



    I only buy ASUS motherboards. I've been flashing their BIOSes for almost 20 years.

    Here... this is right out of your manual...


    Can someone explain how to check if a USB Flash Drive is Single Sector-image2.png




    And this pic is right out of MY manual...


    Can someone explain how to check if a USB Flash Drive is Single Sector-image1.png







    And if that's not enough... the last 4 BIOSes for MY motherboard were between 30 and 32 MB.
    I just downloaded the latest BIOS for YOUR motherboard.... it's also 32.0 MB.
    When you look on the ASUS website... it says your BIOS is 20.xx MB. That's the "zipped" size.
    When you unzip it... it'll be 32 MB.


    On a side note... don't forget to use the "renamer" tool included with the BIOS, to "rename" the BIOS or the flash will fail.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Ironically I didn't check the manual, I was reading the FAQs on ASUS website on how to update the BIOS, here is a link to their website where they made the typo:

    [Motherboard] How to use USB BIOS FlashBack™? | Official Support | ASUS Global

    Thanks, for the pictures from the manual, and that makes me feel a lot better now, that I won't have any issues.

    What happened was, I was downloading the BIOS updates, driver updates, etc, from their website and started to read their FAQ pages on how to update the bios (see the link I provided) and that is where I saw the single sector typo. I didn't realize it was a typo, and thanks a lot for helping out. And thanks to everyone else who answered.
      My Computer

  10. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 14,178
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1387 (x64) [21H2]
       #10

    Staragox said:
    Ironically I didn't check the manual, I was reading the FAQs on ASUS website on how to update the BIOS, here is a link to their website where they made the typo:

    [Motherboard] How to use USB BIOS FlashBack™? | Official Support | ASUS Global

    Thanks, for the pictures from the manual, and that makes me feel a lot better now, that I won't have any issues.

    What happened was, I was downloading the BIOS updates, driver updates, etc, from their website and started to read their FAQ pages on how to update the bios (see the link I provided) and that is where I saw the single sector typo. I didn't realize it was a typo, and thanks a lot for helping out. And thanks to everyone else who answered.



    Glad you got it worked out.
    I was sitting here trying to think how a BIOS which is millions of times bigger than typical sector sizes, was going to fit on a single sector USB stick.



      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums