Will doubling RAM make any difference on laptop with SSD?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. cytherian's Avatar
    Posts : 317
    Windows 10 v. 20H2, Build 19042.867
       #1

    Will doubling RAM make any difference on laptop with SSD?


    Going from a mechanical HDD to a quality SSD was like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Dodge Charger. Made a nice huge difference in performance for my old laptop.

    But I'm also curious to know... does it make any sense to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB? Or is by virtue of having an SSD means that cache is already fast enough? I do not run compilers or any other highly intensive programs. About the most taxing would be some video editing. I'm guessing it won't be much of a difference, not nearly if it was with the HDD still in place. But just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,525
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    Some programs may make use of more RAM during their work, I've found 8GB to be quite sufficient but I don't do things that require more. A downside to a Notebook/Laptop is they generally have only 2 slots for memory modules and may be limited to 8GB [2 x 4GB modules] unless spending more money for higher performance machines. I'm using ah HP Envy TouchSmart 17" that is maxed at 8GB.
      My Computers

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,694
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    cytherian said:
    ... does it make any sense to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB? Or is by virtue of having an SSD means that cache is already fast enough? I do not run compilers or any other highly intensive programs. About the most taxing would be some video editing. I'm guessing it won't be much of a difference, not nearly if it was with the HDD still in place. But just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
    In my experience, doubling from 4BG to 8GB makes a substantial difference, doubling from 8GB to 16GB not as much as you might expect (even with a HDD). Doubling from 16GB to 32GB hardly any difference, not unless you're seriously into gaming.
    Still, if you can afford it then 16GB will make some improvement, even with an SSD.
      My Computers

  4. pparks1's Avatar
    Posts : 1,695
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    It will make a small difference, but nothing like going from a hdd to an ssd.
      My Computers

  5. Macboatmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 864
    10, 8.1 and 7 all Professional versions, and Linux Mint
       #5

    Is the laptop in question the one with the
    AMD Integrated SOC FCH (AMD Carrizo-L)

    or the one with the
    AMD Integrated SOC FCH (AMD Carrizo)

    as there is a difference.
    Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable - ignore non customer accessible it does however require removal of the base panel
    DDR3L-1600 Single Channel Support (Carrizo-L)
    DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support (Carrizo)
    Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:

    If your laptop is dual channel, then YES you would notice a difference by running DUAL channel.

    If yours is single channel albeit with two slots the difference between 8 and 16, will NOT be as noticeable as with dual channel.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04643087.pdf

    Is your actual laptop the
    HP 15-ab010nr
    or which
    You can check the spec of course and the possibilities on one of the ram finders such as Crucial

    Any ram increase will really only show itself - as my colleague Bree said, when you get beyond the 8 for holding data in ram, IMHO not as vital, usually for gaming on a laptop of your spec as it maybe for video editing and similar.

    so re this
    About the most taxing would be some video editing
    could be a real benefit, and depending on nature of the VE - a definite improvement.

    It all really depends of what you want to use the laptop for - that you now find is apparently a little of a struggle, as to whether ram increase will help.

    The bottom line is IMHO if you have one stick of 8 and your laptop is dual channel, and tghe expense of another 8 is no problem (remembering they should be exactly matched sticks - go for it.

    If it is single channel - on the face of it I would not bother.
      My Computer

  6. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,049
    windows 10
       #6

    It wont do any harm but it depends what software you are running 4k video editing or big photos can see an improvment
      My Computer

  7. Megahertz's Avatar
    Posts : 2,407
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #7

    When I bought the computer parts to build my computer, I bought a memory package of 4x4G. After assembling my computer with 2x4 I noticed that I never used more than ~6G, even using Autocad. I sold the remaining 2x4G and never regret.

    I would say that if you don't use programs like Photoshop or play games, adding more than 8G memory is wasting money.
      My Computers

  8. cytherian's Avatar
    Posts : 317
    Windows 10 v. 20H2, Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Berton said:
    Some programs may make use of more RAM during their work, I've found 8GB to be quite sufficient but I don't do things that require more. A downside to a Notebook/Laptop is they generally have only 2 slots for memory modules and may be limited to 8GB [2 x 4GB modules] unless spending more money for higher performance machines. I'm using ah HP Envy TouchSmart 17" that is maxed at 8GB.
    Interesting. I have an HP Envy m6 TouchSmart 15" with 8GB but specs show it can go to 16GB. It's my backup computer, as the massive heft of it makes it a lousy travel laptop... plus, it's not that great with heat management (got to make sure the entire vent is unobstructed).
    Bree said:
    In my experience, doubling from 4BG to 8GB makes a substantial difference, doubling from 8GB to 16GB not as much as you might expect (even with a HDD). Doubling from 16GB to 32GB hardly any difference, not unless you're seriously into gaming. Still, if you can afford it then 16GB will make some improvement, even with an SSD.
    Thanks. I've been using this primarily as a backup, but thought if I can secure some used A-OK SODIMM for a good price, might be worth going for 16GB. Right now it has a Samsung EVO 850 500Gb drive, with 540mb read speed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Macboatmaster said:
    Is the laptop in question the one with the
    AMD Integrated SOC FCH (AMD Carrizo-L)
    or the one with the
    AMD Integrated SOC FCH (AMD Carrizo)
    as there is a difference.
    Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable - ignore non customer accessible it does however require removal of the base panel
    DDR3L-1600 Single Channel Support (Carrizo-L)
    DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support (Carrizo)
    Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:
    If your laptop is dual channel, then YES you would notice a difference by running DUAL channel.
    If yours is single channel albeit with two slots the difference between 8 and 16, will NOT be as noticeable as with dual channel.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04643087.pdf
    Is your actual laptop the
    HP 15-ab010nr
    or which
    You can check the spec of course and the possibilities on one of the ram finders such as Crucial
    Any ram increase will really only show itself - as my colleague Bree said, when you get beyond the 8 for holding data in ram, IMHO not as vital, usually for gaming on a laptop of your spec as it maybe for video editing and similar.so re this
    could be a real benefit, and depending on nature of the VE - a definite improvement.It all really depends of what you want to use the laptop for - that you now find is apparently a little of a struggle, as to whether ram increase will help.The bottom line is IMHO if you have one stick of 8 and your laptop is dual channel, and the expense of another 8 is no problem (remembering they should be exactly matched sticks - go for it.If it is single channel - on the face of it I would not bother.
    Thanks for chiming in. You nudged me in the right direction. I hadn't thought anyone might look at my system profiles, but now realize that it's a good idea to keep up to date. I'd registered only 1 system. Both are now there.
    the 15-ab010nr is my primary (16GB RAM), the m6-k022dx is the secondary (8GB RAM). Both are dual channel.

    I figured if I could obtain 16GB of A-OK used memory for about $50, it might be worth upgrading the m6-k022dx. But then, if I can get a 1TB SSD of similar performance for just $50 more... that might be the better way to go.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Megahertz said:
    When I bought the computer parts to build my computer, I bought a memory package of 4x4G. After assembling my computer with 2x4 I noticed that I never used more than ~6G, even using Autocad. I sold the remaining 2x4G and never regret.
    I would say that if you don't use programs like Photoshop or play games, adding more than 8G memory is wasting money.
    Yeah, this is basically a backup system and I don't play games on it. Occasionally watch movies in bed. And it doubles as a backup if my other laptop is busy with processing. Probably better to just increase storage instead of RAM at this point.
      My Computer

  9. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,694
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #9

    cytherian said:
    ...don't play games on it. Occasionally watch movies in bed....
    Even my 4GB laptop can do that, 16GB won't help much with watching movies...
    ... Probably better to just increase storage instead of RAM at this point.
    ...that makes more sense if on a limited budget.
      My Computers

  10. Macboatmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 864
    10, 8.1 and 7 all Professional versions, and Linux Mint
       #10

    It is very confusing at least to me
    You say in your opening post
    Will doubling RAM make any difference on laptop with SSD?
    Going from a mechanical HDD to a quality SSD was like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Dodge Charger. Made a nice huge difference in performance for my old laptop.

    But I'm also curious to know... does it make any sense to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB? Or is by virtue of having an SSD means that cache is already fast enough? I do not run compilers or any other highly intensive programs. About the most taxing would be some video editing. I'm guessing it won't be much of a difference, not nearly if it was with the HDD still in place. But just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
    and now you say
    Yeah, this is basically a backup system and I don't play games on it. Occasionally watch movies in bed. And it doubles as a backup if my other laptop is busy with processing. Probably better to just increase storage instead of RAM at this point.
    so are you now saying that this backup computer is the one with the spinning hard drive - not the SSD and you are asking will 16GB of ram be worth on it on just a backup computer, because if so the answer IMHO is NO
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums