Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17,744
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #41

    Ok, I got TWO ideas.

    1. Under HDD BBS priorities, we have what's shown in this pic...

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image1.png



    Do you have other choices for: Boot Option #2 than... WD My Passport xxxxxxxx ??




    In other words, is it possible to set HDD BBS Priorities to look like this?

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image2.png




    IF it is possible to set HDD BBS Priorities like above... then set Boot Option Priorities like the pic below.
    Then put a bootable DVD in the optical drive, and try our "test" again.

    Boot from the DVD, then exit from the DVD and see if it boots to Windows.


    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image3.png
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #42

    Ghot said:
    Ok, I got TWO ideas.

    1. Under HDD BBS priorities, we have what's shown in this pic...

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image1.png



    Do you have other choices for: Boot Option #2 than... WD My Passport xxxxxxxx ??




    In other words, is it possible to set HDD BBS Priorities to look like this?

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image2.png




    IF it is possible to set HDD BBS Priorities like above... then set Boot Option Priorities like the pic below.
    Then put a bootable DVD in the optical drive, and try our "test" again.

    Boot from the DVD, then exit from the DVD and see if it boots to Windows.


    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image3.png
    Thanks again for your ideas. No, the only options I get under HDD BBS Priorities are Samsung SSD & whatever external drives &/or USB that I have plugged in. I'm not sure where you got those images, but my setup looks different.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 17,744
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #43

    phrab said:
    Thanks again for your ideas. No, the only options I get under HDD BBS Priorities are Samsung SSD & whatever external drives &/or USB that I have plugged in. I'm not sure where you got those images, but my setup looks different.



    I used parts of other pics... to "make" those images from scratch.












    Ok... remember how we could set the BIOS back to Defaults, under the Save & Exit tab?


    Well, because we can always do that, we're gonna do a little experiment.


    This is from your manual...

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image4.png

    Ok.. what we want to do is to set Windows 8/10 Features ....to Windows 8/10
    When we do... we will then be able to see: CSM Support

    And we want CSM Support to be... Enabled


    Then we want to set the Boot Option Priorities, like so....

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image2.png





    Then... do our little "test".
    Put a bootable DVD in the optical drive. Then hit the F10 key to save and exit the BIOS.
    Boot to the DVD
    Then exit the DVD and see IF it boots into Windows, by itself.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #44

    Ghot said:
    I used parts of other pics... to "make" those images from scratch.
    Ok... remember how we could set the BIOS back to Defaults, under the Save & Exit tab?

    Well, because we can always do that, we're gonna do a little experiment.

    This is from your manual...

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image4.png
    Ok.. what we want to do is to set Windows 8/10 Features ....to Windows 8/10
    When we do... we will then be able to see: CSM Support

    And we want CSM Support to be... Enabled


    Then we want to set the Boot Option Priorities, like so....

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image2.png





    Then... do our little "test".
    Put a bootable DVD in the optical drive. Then hit the F10 key to save and exit the BIOS.
    Boot to the DVD
    Then exit the DVD and see IF it boots into Windows, by itself.
    While I was offline, I had already tried what you suggested & took an image. I had set Windows 8/10 Features to Windows 8/10 & CMS was enabled.
    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image.png
    With a rescue disk in, it booted to Reflect. Then I exited Reflect & tried to reboot. I got that floppy message. Whenever the P0 etc. is listed first (or the other optical drive), I get that message. I almost tried the boot tool on Reflect, but I was afraid to use it. I don't want to do something that will prevent me from booting to Windows altogether.

    I don't know the difference between UEFI & legacy, other than the first is newer. So I'm not sure how mine is set.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 17,744
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #45

    phrab said:
    While I was offline, I had already tried what you suggested & took an image. I had set Windows 8/10 Features to Windows 8/10 & CMS was enabled.
    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image.png
    With a rescue disk in, it booted to Reflect. Then I exited Reflect & tried to reboot. I got that floppy message. Whenever the P0 etc. is listed first (or the other optical drive), I get that message. I almost tried the boot tool on Reflect, but I was afraid to use it. I don't want to do something that will prevent me from booting to Windows altogether.

    I don't know the difference between UEFI & legacy, other than the first is newer. So I'm not sure how mine is set.


    OK, try again with CSM set to DISabled.

    And you want the Windows Boot Manager as the 2nd Boot Option Priority.


    In other words... try with CSM enabled and disabled, with the Windows Boot Manager... in the 2nd slot, not the third.


    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image2.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #46

    Ghot said:
    OK, try again with CSM set to DISabled.

    And you want the Windows Boot Manager as the 2nd Boot Option Priority.


    In other words... try with CSM enabled and disabled, with the Windows Boot Manager... in the 2nd slot, not the third.


    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-image2.png
    Uh oh. Now I'm in big trouble. I set the CMS to disabled. This stretched everything across the screen (made it wider) & now I can't get to any changes. Even with P0 as the first, the rescue disk doesn't show up. The only thing I see in the BIOS is what's on the very left. I can't even click on boot options any more & can't see the CMS to set it back to enabled.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 17,744
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #47

    phrab said:
    Uh oh. Now I'm in big trouble. I set the CMS to disabled. This stretched everything across the screen (made it wider) & now I can't get to any changes. Even with P0 as the first, the rescue disk doesn't show up. The only thing I see in the BIOS is what's on the very left. I can't even click on boot options any more & can't see the CMS to set it back to enabled.


    Go to the Save & Exit tab and set the BIOS back to defaults
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #48

    Ghot said:
    Go to the Save & Exit tab and set the BIOS back to defaults
    Thanks...I panicked. Whew! Good thing I remembered you saying earlier that F10 brings up Save & Exit. The CMS is enabled again. So things are "normal". This is really strange though. I wonder if some setting in Reflect changed my BIOS, but I don't know how, especially since the change occurred before I tried making a boot menu option in Reflect.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 17,744
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #49

    phrab said:
    Thanks...I panicked. Whew! Good thing I remembered you saying earlier that F10 brings up Save & Exit. The CMS is enabled again. So things are "normal". This is really strange though. I wonder if some setting in Reflect changed my BIOS, but I don't know how, especially since the change occurred before I tried making a boot menu option in Reflect.


    The only other thing I can think to try is... boot from the Macrium DVD and click on the Fix Windows boot thing...

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-0000-macrium-rescue-media-screenshot.png





    When you do that... it will combine the System reserved partition with the C:\ drive.


    Before you panic... remember that you have a Macrium backup that you can access from the Macrium bootable media, if things go wrong.



    Using the Fix Windows Boot problem thing... may just fix the problem we're having in this topic.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #50

    Ghot said:
    The only other thing I can think to try is... boot from the Macrium DVD and click on the Fix Windows boot thing...

    Reset BIOS so that it first checks CD/DVD drives, & then boots normal-0000-macrium-rescue-media-screenshot.png





    When you do that... it will combine the System reserved partition with the C:\ drive.


    Before you panic... remember that you have a Macrium backup that you can access from the Macrium bootable media, if things go wrong.
    OK. I'll will try that tomorrow, right after a new backup. Right now, I think I'll have a . I'd get one for you too, but Pennsylvania is a long way away.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums