How to control battery charging when computer is plugged-in?


  1. Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Home 1709
       #1

    How to control battery charging when computer is plugged-in?


    This just happened to me:

    I'm an "office laptop user". I always use my laptop in the office, and I've been using for the last 2 years. I work with my laptop plugged in. I've used my battery very rarely, maybe 4-5 days in the last 2 years.

    The battery has always been charged at 100%, sometimes it lowered a bit and charged again to 100%. Now, after 2 years, I've a useless burned battery, it suddenly stoped working. I had to purchase a new one since I don't want to risk it explode inside my laptop.

    So, my question is, how can I control the battery charging when the laptop is plugged-in? For example, how to set a lower limit to charge again, such as charge again ONLY when the battery reaches 20%? Is it possible to use current-only when plugged in?

    How to lower the battery wear in my situation? Now I could still have a pretty much new, unused battery, but instead I've a burned one.

    My laptop and battery specs:
    MSI GS63 7RF Stealth
    Windows 10
    Battery KYUER 5700mAh 64.98Wh BTY-M6J
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,244
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2 (Build: 19044.1415)
       #2

    See in BIOS if there is option to disable battery while plugged in, or change charging behavior
    I don't think you can disable (or govern) battery with some software.

    For battery long life the rule is this:
    When you start to charge your battery charge it to the full (100%)
    It doesn't matter at which percentage battery starts charging, you only have to make sure once laptop gets plugged in you must wait for battery to reach 100% before pluging out of eletricity.

    If you don't have time to wait then don't charge it, let battery get empty and charge it another time.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 37
    Windows 10 home
       #3

    Does MSI have any helper/assistant software? I have Lenovo laptops, and Lenovo has a Vantage software program where I can set the charging threshold and max for laptops that are plugged in all/most of the time. I'm not aware of any 3rd party software that does that.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 4,071
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #4

    Battery life is directly related to charging cycles and amount of charges.
    Many laptops has a charge control application to limit the charge to something around 50%, 80% and 100%. At 80% battery life ( charging cycles ) more than double related to 100% charge.
    I've set my Sony to 80%.

    A friend of mine only insert the battery when he is going to work out of the office.

    What is very important is to take out or replace a dead battery. A dead battery can damage the internal power supply and then the whole laptop will be dead.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,340
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #5

    Laptop batteries are meant to be used. Laptop make/models along with their batteries can have different recommendations on how to ensure proper battery maintenance and recommended most effective ways to best laptop battery management. Find out what the laptop manual and/or battery management recommendations are.
    --- Proper battery management is worth maintaining.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 11,582
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1776
       #6

    JamesNN said:
    How to control battery charging when computer is plugged-in?
    The trouble with asking this sort of question is that there is no dependable source of data other than the individual experiences of individual users and their particular computer model & battery combinations.
    It's like asking ten lawyers how many beans make five. You'll get at least twenty answers.

    - I trust reports by individual users about their individual experiences.
    - There is general MS guidance that advises charging your battery fully.
    MS said:
    Keep your PC plugged in until it’s fully charged.
    - There are also some MS webpages advising [MS Surface] users not to routinely charge their batteries above 50% if they are normally on mains power. They do not attempt to quantify the effect of this so they are honest yet incomplete meaning that us mere mortals cannot draw useful conclusions for our own equipment.


    JamesNN said:
    I'm an "office laptop user". I always use my laptop in the office, and I've been using for the last 2 years. I work with my laptop plugged in. I've used my battery very rarely, maybe 4-5 days in the last 2 years.
    The battery has always been charged at 100%, sometimes it lowered a bit and charged again to 100%. Now, after 2 years, I've a useless burned battery, it suddenly stoped working. I had to purchase a new one since I don't want to risk it explode inside my laptop.
    For my part, I have been doing exactly the same as you for almost a decade. I have not experienced the problems that you have experienced.
    - For two of my computers that rarely use their battery power these days, I leave the batteries in to charge fully then I just leave them in to stay that way. I have been doing this for at least five years.
    - Both batteries of both computers have lost less than 10%-20% of their charging capability during that time i.e. they have only degraded to about 80%-90% of their charging ability when they were brand new in 2015.
    - All these batteries were the cheapest available at the time [I rarely bother with getting batteries from the computer maker].
    - I generally swap batteries over every six months.
    - For another computer that I treat in the same way, its battery still has 100% of its charging capability after its 4 years of use.
    - This was a computer maker's battery rather than a cheap third party one.

    Battery charging circuits generally cut off when the battery is at the required state of charge [100% or whatever lesser charge you can set using the Bios / computer maker's utility / …]
    - I can imagine that your battery might degrade if the charging circuit never cut off [but have no data to back this up]
    - Did you ever notice the battery indicator showing charging at lower levels then not charging when it was showing 100%? That would demonstrate that the charging circuit was behaving as it ought to do so you need not have read this paragraph.

    Few sources claim that there is any benefit to allowing Lion batteries to discharge completely.
    - That precaution was common for battery technologies in use twenty years ago.
    - The only recent advice I have seen like that is for the rechargeable Lion battery in my electric razor.
    - They state that I should discharge it completely every 6 months then recharge it fully.
    - But there are many variants of Lion battery technology [both in terms of battery material & charging circuit control] so it is not possible to draw conclusions about computer batteries from their advice.



    Do note that the 100% charge displayed in your Taskbar means "100% of what it is currently capable of" not 100% of what it was designed to be capable of. To find out what it is currently capable of, run a battery report and look through it to find the entries for Full charge capacity & Design capacity - the ratio of one to the other is a decent measure of how worn out the battery is***.
    Code:
    PowerCfg /batteryreport /output "D:\Desktop\BatteryReport.html" /Duration 1
    But use the path to a convenient folder of your own in place of my D:\Desktop
    You can repeat this as often as you like to find out how your new battery is behaving over time.

    *** On my tablet-with-a-keyboard computer, Full charge capacity is bigger than Design capacity. This is nonsense and makes me think the maker is hiding something from me.

    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 15 Mar 2021 at 20:47.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,192
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #7

    Megahertz said:
    Battery life is directly related to charging cycles and amount of charges.
    Many laptops has a charge control application to limit the charge to something around 50%, 80% and 100%. At 80% battery life ( charging cycles ) more than double related to 100% charge.
    I've set my Sony to 80%.

    A friend of mine only insert the battery when he is going to work out of the office.

    What is very important is to take out or replace a dead battery. A dead battery can damage the internal power supply and then the whole laptop will be dead.
    That may be OK for laptops that allow you to easily remove the battery. That is not possible for thin-and-light ones like I have. For me to remove the battery I would have to dismantle the laptop which might take up to 15 minutes if I do it carefully. If I try to rush things I might end up breaking something. I have taken it apart to replace the SSD with a larger one which was worth the time it took. I will only take it apart to remove the battery when it has failed.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Home 1709
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Charliedog said:
    Does MSI have any helper/assistant software?
    MSI used to have that, but removed the option in Dragon Center.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Try3 said:
    - Did you ever notice the battery indicator showing charging at lower levels then not charging when it was showing 100%? That would demonstrate that the charging circuit was behaving as it ought to do so you need not have read this paragraph. Denis
    As far as I noticed, the battery stoped charging correctly when at 100%. The problem, as I see it, is that when at 90% and on mains power it started charging again, instead of waiting the battery to drop like, to 30%, and then charge again.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 11,582
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1776
       #9

    JamesNN said:
    The problem, as I see it, is that when at 90% and on mains power it started charging again, instead of waiting the battery to drop like, to 30%, and then charge again.
    James,

    If you want to do that then look first for Bios settings or a computer maker's utility. There might also be decent third-party utilities for all I know***.
    Try3 said:
    Battery charging circuits generally cut off when the battery is at the required state of charge [100% or whatever lesser charge you can set using the Bios / computer maker's utility / …]
    I do not do what you want to do and have not suffered from not doing so.

    *** W10 Tweaker mentioned two third-party utilities BatteryBar and Battery Limiter in Laptop battery dead post #25 - TenForums


    Denis
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums