Logitech M570 Trackball Issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,132
    Windows 10
       #1

    Logitech M570 Trackball Issues


    So I'm sure many of you are familiar with this trackball mouse. Now when i first got this mouse a while back, it took a while to get used to as oppose to a regular mouse. Also because i have 2 monitors and move my mouse a lot, the trackball is much easier to use then the regular wireless mouse.



    This is I believe my 3rd logitech m570 trackball mouse. The first one a while back i used it for maybe 5 months or so, it had issues clicking. Where the left click or right click didn't work and basically impossible to use. So i bought the same mouse off amazon again. Of course, it works great at beginning, but months later... this might been more than 6 months... the same exact issue. I think it had issues earlier than that but i just kept using it. You had to click on a specific part of the left click in order for it to work... basically it was hard to use.



    Now i bought the same mouse a 3rd time... now just a bit over 3 months... I'm getting some issue where it doesn't work when the battery light signal shows green... it basically blinks green for a bit... then repeats... over and over again. But sometimes after a while, the light goes away and then it works. But minutes later... mouse stops working and when i look at it... same blinking green light. To anyone who has this mouse, green light usually shows up when you take out battery and put in new battery and it shows green light which means it has battery. When its red light showing, means you need new battery.



    Now i have a lot of new batteries so that isn't the issue. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this issue with this mouse? I did read about how few people say it should work for 18 months etc... but all 3 mouses.... it has lasted 5 months.. maybe 6 months... and this one is 3 months.... but this mouse is the first one where it has that green light issue. Is there a way to reset the mouse somehow? All I do is remove battery, put it back etc with new one etc.



    Now I do have to say, I'm a heavy computer user... Im on the computer at least 12 hours a day almost so there is a lot of wear and tear so to speak. But is there some bug/malfunction with it that makes it like this? Also anyone who this exact issue with this mouse can offer input?
      My Computer

  2. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,580
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 (19043.1023
       #2

    I see nowhere mentioned in your long post about any driver installs. Have you installed the latest Setpoint drivers for your mouse? - Downloads - Wireless Trackball M570 – Logitech Support + Download.

    Also have you looked to the Logitech forums to see if there are any reported issues on this mouse?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 1,497
    Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.804
       #3

    I was once a Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard fan (back in the '90s) and some of the sets lasted years before the mouse became too problematic.

    I got tired of replacing mice because they had crappy cheap microswitches and badly designed circuitry that allowed switch bounce faults. This appears to be the most frequent cause of mouse failures.

    Switch bounce is very simple in theory but unfortunately far too common in today's world of cheap mass production. Unless you have the time, expertise and interest, repairing failed mice is almost a lost cause.

    However, there are potential software type solutions that can help stretch the life expectancy.

    I successfully have used ClickFix to cover up mouse bounce faults and have used the same mouse for many years.

    ClickFix - Stop unwanted double clicks (Windows Only)

    There's a mouse bounce test at the bottom of this page.

    Logitech M570 Trackball Issues-0214-mouse-bounce-test.jpg


    As for the mouse failing to function with the irregular battery LED indications, it sounds like it could be a serious failure that only a replacement will solve but you could try the following first though;

    Confirm that the battery is installed and held snug by the contacts. Sometimes after frequent battery replacements the contacts need to be re-bent. A pair of miniature needle nose pliers, forceps, or tweezers should suffice. Remove the battery and carefully bend the metal clip inwards. Be careful to flex only the metal and not where it's mounted to the plastic chassis.

    I've had mice and TV remotes that required a small piece of foam installed on the inside of the battery door.

    When you close the battery door, there's too large of a gap between the battery and the door and the battery drops down, making for intermittent or no connection to the metal contact inside.

    Once upon a time, battery powered devices all had a small piece of foam on the battery door. It must be too costly or time consuming for the manufacturers of today's world. :-\
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,132
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    I read ton of issues with this mouse similar to this.


    Also... now there isn't even any green light showing. I can't even get the mouse to work anymore. I tried unplugging the usb receiver from laptop and plugging it back in. Also removed battery and plugged it back in and it doesn't work at all. Earlier it would show that green light and blink many times and not work... then when the light goes away, it would work for a while.


    There is no reset button for it right? I don't see it anywhere. Also, i dont think this has anything to do with drivers. When you first plug it into laptop, i think it did already already. And this isn't a battery issue as i have tons of batteries.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Okay so now the same issue. It would work for a bit... then mouse stops working and you immediately see that green light blinking multiple times. After a while when the green light blinking stops, the mouse works... until the green blinking light flashes again... over and over.


    Does anyone have a clue what about? Again, this is not a battery issue as i have new batteries. Also it is not the usb port... i have it connected to usb port on my laptop... and i tried to plug it in a port hub that is connected to another usb port on my laptop... same issue. Mouse works for a bit... then when the green light blinking starts... it doesn't work etc.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,497
    Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.804
       #5

    paulyjustin said:
    I read ton of issues with this mouse similar to this.


    Also... now there isn't even any green light showing. I can't even get the mouse to work anymore. I tried unplugging the usb receiver from laptop and plugging it back in. Also removed battery and plugged it back in and it doesn't work at all. Earlier it would show that green light and blink many times and not work... then when the light goes away, it would work for a while.


    There is no reset button for it right? I don't see it anywhere. Also, i dont think this has anything to do with drivers. When you first plug it into laptop, i think it did already already. And this isn't a battery issue as i have tons of batteries.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Okay so now the same issue. It would work for a bit... then mouse stops working and you immediately see that green light blinking multiple times. After a while when the green light blinking stops, the mouse works... until the green blinking light flashes again... over and over.


    Does anyone have a clue what about? Again, this is not a battery issue as i have new batteries. Also it is not the usb port... i have it connected to usb port on my laptop... and i tried to plug it in a port hub that is connected to another usb port on my laptop... same issue. Mouse works for a bit... then when the green light blinking starts... it doesn't work etc.

    Thanks for the update. Have you read my post above?
      My Computer

  6. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 13,268
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.804 & 21327.1000
       #6

    Have you popped the ball out and cleaned the contacts as well as the small window wit
    an alcohol solution and Qtip swab.Alot of dust, and dirt can accumulate in a short span.
    keep water and such fluids away as the electronics inside are touchy about it.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,132
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    The bounceback, that is a program i need to download and install? The issue here is the mouse doesn't even work at all now. Like forget about it having clicking issues, it doesn't seem to turn on. Right now i turned it on again and either it shows a quick green light for a second... but doesn't work... or no light at all and doesn't work.


    I do take out the ball out and use some tissue to wipe inside it for the dust. But i tried using some alcohol to wipe the inside of the ball area... that doesn't seem to work.


    I mean, yea few times i have touched my mouse and held it when my hand was a bit wet and water has touched it. But it still works though at least its suppose to. I mean if you look at my mouse, it does look a bit worn... because i use it at least 12 hours a day etc. But the thing is this is the 3rd mouse i had issues with. Now the big difference is this mouse now... it doesn't even work right now. With the other 2 mouses, it had lot of clicking issues. This one doesn't seem to work. Earlier i was able to use it for a bit... but after every so minutes, it would have that green flashing light and then not work etc. I was considering not turning off the mouse because i thought if i did that... the mouse would continue to work like it did with the issues though.


    What could i try to do now to try to fix it?


    I mean, there is no reset button to it right? Google says reset it but i dont' see any reset button. Now if i were to open the mouse up, is it complicated to do this and what tools would i need? Also if i check my computer settings, it should still show that my mouse is connected via usb right? I do hear that sound when you connect the usb receiver to the laptop.
      My Computer

  8. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 13,268
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.804 & 21327.1000
       #8

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questio...?theme=battery



    Try turning off then moving unifier usb plug to different port and turning it back on and running
    unifier software.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,497
    Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.804
       #9

    paulyjustin said:
    What could i try to do now to try to fix it?


    W10 Tweaker said:
    As for the mouse failing to function with the irregular battery LED indications, it sounds like it could be a serious failure that only a replacement will solve but you could try the following first though;

    Confirm that the battery is installed and held snug by the contacts. Sometimes after frequent battery replacements the contacts need to be re-bent. A pair of miniature needle nose pliers, forceps, or tweezers should suffice. Remove the battery and carefully bend the metal clip inwards. Be careful to flex only the metal and not where it's mounted to the plastic chassis.

    I've had mice and TV remotes that required a small piece of foam installed on the inside of the battery door.

    When you close the battery door, there's too large of a gap between the battery and the door and the battery drops down, making for intermittent or no connection to the metal contact inside.

    Once upon a time, battery powered devices all had a small piece of foam on the battery door. It must be too costly or time consuming for the manufacturers of today's world. :-\
    ...
      My Computer

  10. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 4,013
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Latest RP - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       #10

    If you decide to go for another trackball device Logi do a more "Pro" version than the one that keeps breaking on you, The Logitech MX ERGO M575 Wireless Trackball Mouse but there is a price premium as with all the MX range

    I have an M570 that I only use occasionally, but has been flawless for me for around ten years, I currently use one of my MX Master series mice, (I have three types including the Original MX Master, an MX Master 2S, and an MX Master 3 and I can't fault them.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums