Non Booting Asus Strix B550-E

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #1

    Non Booting Asus Strix B550-E


    I got my motherboard this week and started assembling it on Friday.

    However its not getting past the orange memory light. I am wondering if its shorting somewhere so I am planning to take everything out of the case and test it.

    I have tried bios flashback but that doesnt appear to be working or I'm doing it wrong.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 23,777
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4651 (x64) [22H2]
       #2

    swarfega said:
    I got my motherboard this week and started assembling it on Friday.

    However its not getting past the orange memory light. I am wondering if its shorting somewhere so I am planning to take everything out of the case and test it.

    I have tried bios flashback but that doesnt appear to be working or I'm doing it wrong.


    What's the make/model of the RAM?


    Tips:

    1. RAM sticks (2) should be in the 2nd and 4th slots, counting away from the CPU.
    2. To flash the BIOS you need to rename the BIOS file you downloaded to: SB550EG.CAP
    3. BIOS file should then go onto single partition USB stick formatted as FAT32
    4. You need to put the USB stick into a motherboard USB port. Don't use the case USB ports.
    5. Always reset the BIOS to defaults before trying to Flash the BIOS.


    Last but not least, don't try to set DOCP or manual RAM freq. and timings at first. Get it to boot... then worry about that. Leave everything on auto.


    In tip #2, the name needed for the BIOS file comes from page 3-1 in the pdf User Manual.


    The only thing I can think of for "shorting" would be too many motherboard standoffs.




    /edit
    It looks like your Asus Strix B550-E manual(s) are like mine. The one that comes with the motherboard is JUST the User Manual. (6.04MB)
    The BIOS manual can be downloaded at the motherboard website. (3.25MB)
    ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA






    NOTE:
    I know you probably know all of this, but I'm just putting it all down in one spot for easy reference.




    Warning:
    For anyone else reading this, that BIOS file name in tip #2 is only for that exact motherboard.
    Last edited by Ghot; 13 Feb 2021 at 04:21.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I havent got as far as the BIOS screen yet. Ive tried
    : Corsair Vengeance Pro 32gb 3200mhz and Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 3600mhz. Ive tried with just one stick of each.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 23,777
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4651 (x64) [22H2]
       #4

    swarfega said:
    I havent got as far as the BIOS screen yet. Ive tried
    : Corsair Vengeance Pro 32gb 3200mhz and Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 3600mhz. Ive tried with just one stick of each.


    If you got model numbers for that RAM, I can check the QVL and Corsair's website for you.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thanks Ghot

    CMT32GX4M4C3600C18W and
    CMWLEKIT2
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    0d which the manual says is unspecified but I think its memory.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Should I remove the memor and or the cpu when trying the bios flash back? Maybe the cpu is blocking boot until its updated. I hear you can flash the bios without the cpu or with an old one. I also have a spare cpu to try.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 23,777
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4651 (x64) [22H2]
       #8

    swarfega said:
    Should I remove the memor and or the cpu when trying the bios flash back? Maybe the cpu is blocking boot until its updated. I hear you can flash the bios without the cpu or with an old one. I also have a spare cpu to try.


    What CPU you got?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 7,254
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    its the 5600x.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 23,777
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4651 (x64) [22H2]
       #10

    swarfega said:
    its the 5600x.


    IF you need to update the BIOS you need a lower series CPU.
    This motherboard doesn't have that USB flash back like the older boards did.


    You need a 3000 series CPU to flash that BIOS, if the BIOS is that old.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums