Make an android formatted drive work in windows, or not nag to format?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,168
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
       #1

    Make an android formatted drive work in windows, or not nag to format?


    I solved the linux issue.
    Now I discovered the flash drive is actually android format of some kind.
    So is there a program to do it, or at least not prompt windows to format the drive anytime it is plugged in?

    This internal disk reader program shows the flash drive partitions, and they cant be opened
    K, and L drive letters.
    This is a 32gb flash drive
    I created it on my Android Firestick 4k for use as extended storage for apps.

    Make an android formatted drive work in windows, or not nag to format?-image.png
      My Computer

  2. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,673
    3-Win-7Prox64 3-Win10Prox64 3-LinuxMint20.2
       #2

    Hi,
    Sure free mini tool
    Just don't update it when asked
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Download (2021 Latest) for Windows 10, 8, 7
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 419
    Windows 10
       #3

    sdowney717 said:
    I solved the linux issue.
    Now I discovered the flash drive is actually android format of some kind.
    So is there a program to do it, or at least not prompt windows to format the drive anytime it is plugged in?

    This internal disk reader program shows the flash drive partitions, and they cant be opened
    K, and L drive letters.
    This is a 32gb flash drive
    I created it on my Android Firestick 4k for use as extended storage for apps.

    Make an android formatted drive work in windows, or not nag to format?-image.png
    A drive formatted for use as extended storage for apps cannot be read by Windows. As current phones have large internal memory, is not necessary to use this type of format anymore. And some manufacturers, such as Samsung, have never supported it.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,168
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Anibor said:
    A drive formatted for use as extended storage for apps cannot be read by Windows. As current phones have large internal memory, is not necessary to use this type of format anymore. And some manufacturers, such as Samsung, have never supported it.
    Firestick 4K only has 5GB of usable app storage, which quickly gets used up, so using an OTG cable and ADB commands, you can create extended storage.
    Is there a way to prevent windows from popping up a format message when this drive is selected by my AB usb switch?
    It is highly dangerous to the data on the drive.

    I am using the AB switch to share keyboard and mouse and hub between firestick and windows.

    - - - Updated - - -

    ThrashZone said:
    Hi,
    Sure free mini tool
    Just don't update it when asked
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Download (2021 Latest) for Windows 10, 8, 7
    Running it, but there is no way to see any files on it that I can tell.
    Dont want to format it or anything.

    It would be nice if windows could be made to ignore it when it sees it,
      My Computer

  5. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 16,559
    Windows 11 Pro
       #5

    Offline the drive in diskpart.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,168
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #6

    NavyLCDR said:
    Offline the drive in diskpart.
    Interesting, how to do that?
    And will it survive reconnections?

    found this, will give it a go.
    Offline/Online a disk using Diskpart | QualiTest (qualitestgroup.com)

    That wont affect the firestick using the drive as expanded storage?
      My Computer


  7. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,673
    3-Win-7Prox64 3-Win10Prox64 3-LinuxMint20.2
       #7

    Hi,
    Didn't really know what you wanted to do with the usb device
    Why is it even connected.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,168
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #8

    ThrashZone said:
    Hi,
    Didn't really know what you wanted to do with the usb device
    Why is it even connected.
    I share a keyboard and mouse between firestick and windows using an AB USB switch and a USB hub, and the hub also has this usb expanded storage flash drive for android, so flip the switch, and windows instantly wants to format the android flash drive
      My Computer

  9. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,673
    3-Win-7Prox64 3-Win10Prox64 3-LinuxMint20.2
       #9

    Hi,
    Okay
    Yeah 10 has a nasty habit like linux that it wants to mount drives
    There's a reg file to stop it not sure it works anymore though think 10 just doesn't want to release them now @Brink

    Enable or Disable Automount of New Disks and Drives in Windows
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 1,168
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Does anyone know how to perhaps backup the data on this android flash drive? So far only disk genius seems to offer the possibility, it shows the drives as android, but got to pay money to activate that feature.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums