Windows 10: Windows 10 and a busy hard drive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    20 Aug 2015 #11

    Today, the unknown disk activity is back. And while it doesn't seem apparent from looking at Task Manager, I know it is there. I've had my SSD for a year; and unless updates were going on, it was dead quiet when I was doing simple things like browsing web pages in Win7. (I just started using Win10 after 07/29).

    Today, this clicking activity is back in Win10. And, I turned off the bit torrent like style of allowing a shared connection for Windows Updates (shortly after installing Win10) . But the File History setting was still on. I've now turned that off as well.

    I am beginning to have mixed feelings about this upgrade. On the one hand, the OS feels very stable, modern, and user friendly. But I do not like some of these new features such as the OS forcing my device to 'phone home' on a much more frequent basis than Win7. And I do not like hearing this background noise on my SSD. It doesn't happen continuously, but it seems far too frequent.

    We'll see if turning off File History helps. I'm using Macrium Reflect for my backups so I don't need that built in backup feature. Thanks for the replies here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Aug 2015 #12

    scott784 said: View Post
    Today, the unknown disk activity is back. And while it doesn't seem apparent from looking at Task Manager, I know it is there. I've had my SSD for a year; and unless updates were going on, it was dead quiet when I was doing simple things like browsing web pages in Win7. (I just started using Win10 after 07/29).

    Today, this clicking activity is back in Win10. And, I turned off the bit torrent like style of allowing a shared connection for Windows Updates (shortly after installing Win10) . But the File History setting was still on. I've now turned that off as well.

    I am beginning to have mixed feelings about this upgrade. On the one hand, the OS feels very stable, modern, and user friendly. But I do not like some of these new features such as the OS forcing my device to 'phone home' on a much more frequent basis than Win7. And I do not like hearing this background noise on my SSD. It doesn't happen continuously, but it seems far too frequent.

    We'll see if turning off File History helps. I'm using Macrium Reflect for my backups so I don't need that built in backup feature. Thanks for the replies here.
    You should never have any clicking activity with a ssd there are no moving parts.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Aug 2015 #13

    Bazz said: View Post
    You should never have any clicking activity with a ssd there are no moving parts.
    True enough, there's no moving parts. But this clicking (if that's the best word to describe it?) is present. It's certainly not loud, just a very soft background noise. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the SSD as it's been a familiar/occasional sound since I've had the SSD (purchased it 1 year ago). The difference is now (unlike 3 weeks ago when I still have Win7 installed) is the fact that I am hearing it on a regular basis versus only occasional clicking when I had Win7 on the SSD.

    I never questioned it before because I only ever heard it when I was installing a program or things like windows updates. But now it seems to be commonplace even when I am simply reading web pages and doing nothing else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Aug 2015 #14

    scott784 said: View Post
    True enough, there's no moving parts. But this clicking (if that's the best word to describe it?) is present. It's certainly not loud, just a very soft background noise. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the SSD as it's been a familiar/occasional sound since I've had the SSD (purchased it 1 year ago). The difference is now (unlike 3 weeks ago when I still have Win7 installed) is the fact that I am hearing it on a regular basis versus only occasional clicking when I had Win7 on the SSD.

    I never questioned it before because I only ever heard it when I was installing a program or things like windows updates. But now it seems to be commonplace even when I am simply reading web pages and doing nothing else.
    Perhaps your SSD manufacturer has a tool that will have a look at it for you, mine is a Sandisk and they have a tool for my SSD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    20 Aug 2015 #15

    Bazz said: View Post
    Perhaps your SSD manufacturer has a tool that will have a look at it for you, mine is a Sandisk and they have a tool for my SSD.
    Actually, there is. In my case (for my MX100 Crucial SSD), it's called Crucial Storage Executive Client. I installed it and it indicates my SSD is in good health.

    I did try to install a recent firmware update but I get an error message. In my browser (upon attempting to install), it says 'internal error, return to home page'. The firmware is not necessarily needed (I just noticed it was available). My SSD is only 1 year old.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Apr 2016 #16

    XweAponX said: View Post
    The worst thief in Windows 10 is "Updates from More than one place" in your Settings->Security->Updates->Advanced Settings-> "Choose how Updates are Delivered" - keep that turned off, it allows Microsoft to use your computer to deliver updates to other people. There were a bunch of updates last few days, the high Disk usage might have been this p2p network activity, it's basically a torrent system that uses your PC to distribute updates.
    Wow, This was the ticket, Task Manager disc was 100-99%, now 0-3% at idle, Thank You
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Partition hard drive to install Windows 7 in Installation and Upgrade
Hello all, I've already upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop PC, and there were no issues with the upgrade. However, I work from home and my work has informed me that they won't accept Windows 10, they will only accept 7 or 8.1 as their operating...
On my laptop I have 3 primary partitions only, ( no small 100m partition windows typical installs use ). I have had Windows 10 in a hidden folder for a while now, but have postponed the update until now. When starting the upgrade process Window is...
I have a laptop and a desktop with a 120 gig ssd and a 64 gig SSD respectively. Both computers have conventional hard drives as drive D. I have two 250 gig SSD's on the way. What is the best strategy for moving to the new SSD's and preforming the...
Solved partitioning hard drive in General Support
hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options....
What is the Best Hard Drive? in Windows 10 News
Read more: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45.
Find Us