Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #1

    Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10


    I have a Synaptics touch pad on my HP Envy laptop. Prior to upgrading to Windows 10 if I went to mouse in the control panel there was a checkbox to check to disable the touch pad if a external mouse was detected. This worked fine. Now under Windows 10 I can still check the box to disable the touch pad but the setting does not stick and has to be rechecked after every reboot. Is there a way to get this setting to stick? There is no disable setting in the device manager for the Synaptics touch pad.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #2

    After reboot, the trackpad comes back on


    arliedog said:
    I have a Synaptics touch pad on my HP Envy laptop. Prior to upgrading to Windows 10 if I went to mouse in the control panel there was a checkbox to check to disable the touch pad if a external mouse was detected. This worked fine. Now under Windows 10 I can still check the box to disable the touch pad but the setting does not stick and has to be rechecked after every reboot. Is there a way to get this setting to stick? There is no disable setting in the device manager for the Synaptics touch pad.

    Hello - I am having a problem too. Upgraded my Mom's computer to Windows 10 and I go in and check the box "Disable track pad when USB device is in" however after each reboot it comes right back on and it is frustrating as she rests heavily on the trackpad as she prefers using a mouse. Please help!
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 8,622
    Mac OS Catalina
       #3

    The only way to disable the Track Pad while other pointing device is installed, is through the Mouse properties in Control Panel. By the 1st quarter of next year, the Control Panel is going away and everything will be under the All Settings menu.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 9
    8.1
       #4

    bro67 said:
    The only way to disable the Track Pad while other pointing device is installed, is through the Mouse properties in Control Panel. By the 1st quarter of next year, the Control Panel is going away and everything will be under the All Settings menu.
    Not a full solution, but what I did was to pin the mouse settings to the start menu. Whenever I reboot, I click on the mouse settings in the start menu and go to advanced settings and disable it again. This makes the process a bit easier.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 650
    10 preview 64bit
       #5

    I haven't had that problem since i dissabled trackpad.
    See my earlier post re the driver for Elan(Synaptics)

    Roy
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 9
    8.1
       #6

    hawkman said:
    I haven't had that problem since i dissabled trackpad.
    See my earlier post re the driver for Elan(Synaptics)

    Roy
    I have tried to remove (checked the box) and uninstall the driver for my Synaptics (not called Elan on my HP laptop) and I have tried a rollback to 2014 driver. In both cases, after a reboot, Windows update ran and reinstalled the current driver. With the Windows 10 Windows Update app there is no way to choose updates or to hide them like with Windows 8. So unless Elan is different that plain Synaptics, I don't know how you did it.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 650
    10 preview 64bit
       #7

    I pointed you back to my earlier thread
    Part of it SAID
    If the driver is updated the default is Changed back and you have to check the box again.

    There is a way to stop updates, search for stop updates in the forum

    Elan is synaptics


    Roy
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 9
    8.1
       #8

    hawkman said:
    I pointed you back to my earlier thread
    Part of it SAID
    If the driver is updated the default is Changed back and you have to check the box again.

    There is a way to stop updates, search for stop updates in the forum

    Elan is synap


    Roy
    Not quite sure what you mean by "check the box again". I was talking about the box that says to delete the files.

    As far as a way to stop updates goes, I was only partly successful. I found 2 methods to do it. One does not work on the Home edition which I have. The other was a MS utility that allowed me select hardware that I wanted to hide updates. This worked for Synaptics. However, the reboot caused the installation of a MS PS 2 mouse touchpad driver. This one does not get listed in the MS utility. Again, removing it brings about an auto reinstall after reboot. This driver is not listed with the MS hide tool. This one causes more problems than the synaptics does.
    Last edited by Glennr; 20 Aug 2015 at 14:00.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 9
    8.1
       #9

    Finally. I used the Microsoft tool to hide any future updates of the synaptics driver. I uninstalled it with the delete files option. Rebooted. Tested by manually running Update. Got the P/S 2 drivers issue which could not be stopped from reinstalling. I uninstalled it. Then I found a new driver version on the HP web site (I did not check the number between the original and the new) and installed it. Rebooted. Synaptics now back. I went to the Synaptics control thing and selected the box to disable it if a mouse was also installed. Rebooted multiple times. The first time, I got a pop-up saying that Synaptics was disabled because a mouse was installed. After 3 more boots, it is still disabled but no pop-ups. I still have updates for synaptics hidden.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #10

    Disable PS/2 Touchpad in Windows 10.


    Glennr said:
    Finally. I used the Microsoft tool to hide any future updates of the synaptics driver. I uninstalled it with the delete files option. Rebooted. Tested by manually running Update. Got the P/S 2 drivers issue which could not be stopped from reinstalling. I uninstalled it. Then I found a new driver version on the HP web site (I did not check the number between the original and the new) and installed it. Rebooted. Synaptics now back. I went to the Synaptics control thing and selected the box to disable it if a mouse was also installed. Rebooted multiple times. The first time, I got a pop-up saying that Synaptics was disabled because a mouse was installed. After 3 more boots, it is still disabled but no pop-ups. I still have updates for synaptics hidden.
    In general if you follow these steps it will disable the PS/2 driver for the Touchpad on any laptop.

    To disable the PS2 touchpad driver, you need to be the "Owner" of i8042prt.sys file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers.

    -right click the file i8042prt.sys --> select Properties

    - Select security, and edit security where your login has full control over the file.

    - click apply

    - go to device manager (right click windows-->device manager)

    - expand mouse & other pointing devices

    - right click PS/2 compatible mouse

    - click on disable

    Voila!
    Good luck
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums