Can I mix Ram Sizes?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 246
    Windows 10
       #1

    Can I mix Ram Sizes?


    Not sure if its just me but I see a lot of websites with inconsistent not very clear information. So I thought I'd ask my friends at 10 forums.

    Can I have varying sizes ram on my mother?

    From what my research tells me, yes, but it needs to be the same DDR and same speed so 1066MHz in my case.

    Could I get some confirmation on this please.

    Thank you =]

    Windows Version 1909
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,488
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    Sizes, yes, but ensure they are compatible - Crucial and Kingston offer PC/MOBO compatibility checkers on their sites, for example.
      My Computers

  3. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,659
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #3

    As long as the amount is the same for each channel.
    Edit, not the same, but equal amounts.
      My Computers

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,488
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #4

    A good article on multi-channel MOBOs and RAM:
    Single- and Multichannel Memory Modes

    If the RAM sizes don't match, then you can lose the (marginal) advantage of dual or more channels. PC will still work.
    Last edited by dalchina; 17 Oct 2020 at 06:39.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,302
    X
       #5

    If your RAM is at 1066MHz then it's quite old.
    Rather than upgrade this computer I would consider buying a new one.
      My Computer

  6. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,488
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #6

    The MOBO seems to be from 2010... but I respect people who use older stuff that's still useful rather than creating rubbish..!
      My Computers

  7. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 246
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Cliff S said:
    As long as the amount is the same for each channel.
    Edit, not the same, but equal amounts.
    Forgive me, I'm not sure I understand.

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    The MOBO seems to be from 2010... but I respect people who use older stuff that's still useful rather than creating rubbish..!
    Yes, exactly! That is the idea, it still does what I need from it. And everything has been swell, however (from another thread) it appears one of my ram sticks might have been causing me some issues and thus I am looking to replace them. Not to mention upgrading can be quite a financial endeavour. At the time I built this it was top of the line, all in all i spent around 2.5k or so. Just trying to make do ._.
    Last edited by Vellaura; 17 Oct 2020 at 06:41.
      My Computer

  8. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,659
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #8

    Each channel gets the same amount of RAM
    Look at the link dalchina posted by intel
    Rules to enable dual-channel mode
    To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:


    • Same memory size. Examples: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB.
    • Matched DIMM configuration in each channel.
    • Matched in symmetrical memory slots.


    Can I mix Ram Sizes?-image.png

    The best you can do though, is by a kit of 4 dimms, or two of the same, with same speed and SPD(timings)
    You do not have to go buy high speed, as the lower the speed ,the lower and tighter the timings, the more stable the RAM.
    Lower speed and lower timings can have the same latency as higher speed RAM but is more stable.
    The amount of RAM only depends on your Windows version, and with Windows 10 8GB enough is good if you don't game heavily, or do lots of graphics or video encoding.
      My Computers

  9. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 246
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Cliff S said:
    Each channel gets the same amount of RAM
    Look at the link dalchina posted by intel
    Rules to enable dual-channel mode
    To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:


    • Same memory size. Examples: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB.
    • Matched DIMM configuration in each channel.
    • Matched in symmetrical memory slots.


    Can I mix Ram Sizes?-image.png

    The best you can do though, is by a kit of 4 dimms, or two of the same, with same speed and SPD(timings)
    You do not have to go buy high speed, as the lower the speed ,the lower and tighter the timings, the more stable the RAM.
    Lower speed and lower timings can have the same latency as higher speed RAM but is more stable.
    The amount of RAM only depends on your Windows version, and with Windows 10 8GB enough is good if you don't game heavily, or do lots of graphics or video encoding.
    Ohhh I see now, I really appreciate the info. Having the 2 same types for every second channel. Makes sense. What if for example. I had 2, 2gb on DIMM 1 and 2 and only 1, 4gb on DIMM 3. I'd like to think it'd be better then just having 2, 2gb's on DIMM 3 and 1.

    Yeah I think I'd need at least around 12 or 16 as I like to stream and edit videos so ill need it, I was looking to go for 2, 8bg's on a DIMM 1 and 2.

    Thanks again for the information, i apologise as sometimes I can have a little difficulty understanding certain concepts and information.
      My Computer

  10. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,659
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #10

    You need to to be careful on what slots you use
    If this is for the Asus Rampage 3 Formula in your specs, I took a look at you user manual
    Can I mix Ram Sizes?-image.png

    Can I mix Ram Sizes?-image.png

    Can I mix Ram Sizes?-image.png
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums