Windows 10: "CPU isn't supported"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    13 Mar 2016 #31

    spapakons said: View Post
    Look again at the BIOS download site if any utility is mentioned and download it. It could be in the Applications/Utilities section. If you have Award BIOS or Phoenix or AMI there are specific utilities that work in all motherboards, but the safest is to download the utility from the motherboard's own web site. If the utility is DOS based, you need a way to boot into DOS (command prompt) to use it. One way is to use an old Windows 95 or 98 CD-ROM and boot into the command prompt. If you have a floppy disk drive, you should copy the BIOS there, as the DOS cannot normally access an NTFS hard disk to get it from there neither can access your USB Flash drive. It might be able to access your USB Flash drive if you connect it before you switch on your PC and then enable the legacy USB options in BIOS, but this is not always supported. Of course your USB Flash drive should be FAT32 formatted and as small as possible to improve compatibility (drives over 4GB may not be recognized properly). Read the utility instructions of how to use it.
    No utility available .they just provide .rom file in zip format .please check by yourself Index of /downloads/motherboard/NF7050_8_channel .And my bios is AMI .Is any flash utility available to use this .rom file to update my bios
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,240
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.1198)
       13 Mar 2016 #32

    Jaasmineking said: View Post
    No utility available .they just provide .rom file in zip format .please check by yourself Index of /downloads/motherboard/NF7050_8_channel .And my bios is AMI .Is any flash utility available to use this .rom file to update my bios
    In old motherboards I used AFUDOS from a command prompt (boot in DOS, doesn't work from a command prompt window). But I also see there is an AFUWIM that could work from within Windows (haven't tried). The utilities can be downloaded from here.

    I would try the Windows version first (AFUWIN). To avoid anything interrupting the upgrade and screwing your BIOS, close any running application, disconnect from the internet (disconnect cable for wired connection or enable flight mode for wireless or better, disable the Wi-Fi by the switch). Also disable your antivirus until next restart. If you don't have any, disable Windows Defender. Then make sure the computer is connected to the mains power (if it is a notebook) and right-click on the utility and Run as Administrator. Select the BIOS file, cross your fingers that the process will complete successfully and start the upgrade. IMPORTANT: If you see any message that the BIOS file doesn't match or the motherboard model is not supported, DON'T proceed! Close the windows utility, boot in command prompt and try the DOS version.

    I wish you good luck
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,240
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.1198)
       13 Mar 2016 #33

    Jaasmineking said: View Post
    you may try installing Daniel_k driver in disable driver enforcement mode .for me soundblaster audigy value working good on win 10 64 bit by using this method.
    Nope! Daniel_K modified driver didn't work neither in "Disable driver signature" mode, nor in normal mode, I tried. If my card was a bit newer (Creative Audigy Player and newer), as the one I have in my main computer (see my specs) I would use the official Creative Vista driver, as I do right now in my main PC. But unfortunately Creative never officially offered Vista drivers (let alone 64-bit) for any cards older than Audigy (Live and earlier models). So we are out of luck there since third party drivers don't seem to work either. I can assure you that the latest official Creative driver for Windows XP 32-bit does work perfectly in Vista 32-bit and 7 32-bit (haven't tried in 8 or 10), but the 64-bit version has stricter compatibility requirements that are not met by the BETA official Creative driver for Windows XP x64, or any other third party driver. If anyone managed to make it work, please do tell which driver you used and which is the model of your sound card. Thank you in advance!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Mar 2016 #34

    spapakons said: View Post
    In old motherboards I used AFUDOS from a command prompt (boot in DOS, doesn't work from a command prompt window). But I also see there is an AFUWIM that could work from within Windows (haven't tried). The utilities can be downloaded from here.

    I would try the Windows version first (AFUWIN). To avoid anything interrupting the upgrade and screwing your BIOS, close any running application, disconnect from the internet (disconnect cable for wired connection or enable flight mode for wireless or better, disable the Wi-Fi by the switch). Also disable your antivirus until next restart. If you don't have any, disable Windows Defender. Then make sure the computer is connected to the mains power (if it is a notebook) and right-click on the utility and Run as Administrator. Select the BIOS file, cross your fingers that the process will complete successfully and start the upgrade. IMPORTANT: If you see any message that the BIOS file doesn't match or the motherboard model is not supported, DON'T proceed! Close the windows utility, boot in command prompt and try the DOS version.

    I wish you good luck
    Thank You for your support. AFUWIN doesnot work.Have to try AFUDOS method.please provide me steps to update bios using the above method.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Mar 2016 #35

    spapakons said: View Post
    Nope! Daniel_K modified driver didn't work neither in "Disable driver signature" mode, nor in normal mode, I tried. If my card was a bit newer (Creative Audigy Player and newer), as the one I have in my main computer (see my specs) I would use the official Creative Vista driver, as I do right now in my main PC. But unfortunately Creative never officially offered Vista drivers (let alone 64-bit) for any cards older than Audigy (Live and earlier models). So we are out of luck there since third party drivers don't seem to work either. I can assure you that the latest official Creative driver for Windows XP 32-bit does work perfectly in Vista 32-bit and 7 32-bit (haven't tried in 8 or 10), but the 64-bit version has stricter compatibility requirements that are not met by the BETA official Creative driver for Windows XP x64, or any other third party driver. If anyone managed to make it work, please do tell which driver you used and which is the model of your sound card. Thank you in advance!
    Oh sorry for that.Hope you will find solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,240
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.1198)
       13 Mar 2016 #36

    Jaasmineking said: View Post
    Thank You for your support. AFUWIN doesnot work.Have to try AFUDOS method.please provide me steps to update bios using the above method.
    Assuming your PC is old enough to include a floppy disk drive, find a spare floppy and format it (right-click on A: and select format). You can also check the "system" box to copy system files and make it bootable. I don't have a floppy available, so I cannot give you exact steps, but I think you get the point. Copy the BIOS file and the AFUDOS utility in the disk. If it is bootable, restart and press F8 (usually) to select boot device, or press DEL to enter BIOS and change the boot priority so you can boot from the floppy disk. If it is not bootable you will need a Windows 95 or Windows 98 CD-ROM to boot from and then select boot into DOS (command prompt only). Once at command prompt, use the following commands:

    A:
    dir
    afudos bios.bin

    The first command changes the current directory (current folder in Windows terms) to the root of the floppy disk A:
    The second command displays a list of the contents of the current directory, in this case the floppy disk files.
    The third loads the afudos utility with the BIOS file bios.bin (change the command as appropriate). I'm not 100% sure, but the syntax of the last command could be that:

    afudos /i bios.bin

    where the /i means input. It was too long ago when I last used it and I cannot test it right now to tell you exactly. Normally if you do a syntax error you should see a message of how to use it. In worst case just use the dir command to see the files, write down the filename of the BIOS file and execute the afudos command without parameters. There should be possible to load a file. Unlike Windows, in DOS you cannot always browse for the file, you simply type the filename, that's why I told you to write it down, so you remember what it is.

    Warning: While flashing the BIOS keep the computer on, don't reset or shutdown until the process is complete, or the BIOS will be corrupt and your computer won't boot and require professional attention! When completed successfully (I hope) you will be prompted to reset. Remove the floppy disk and any CD-ROM and press the reset button. If there is no reset button, hold power to completely switch off. Wait a few seconds and then power on again.

    Good luck!

    PS: If the afudos command tells you your motherboard is not supported or any other error, abort! Probably you have downloaded a version that doesn't support your motherboard. Try an older or newer version as appropriate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Mar 2016 #37

    Hi,

    Should work from a bootable DOS USB drive just the same.
    Or am I missing something ?

    Cheers,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Mar 2016 #38

    spapakons said: View Post
    Assuming your PC is old enough to include a floppy disk drive, find a spare floppy and format it (right-click on A: and select format). You can also check the "system" box to copy system files and make it bootable. I don't have a floppy available, so I cannot give you exact steps, but I think you get the point. Copy the BIOS file and the AFUDOS utility in the disk. If it is bootable, restart and press F8 (usually) to select boot device, or press DEL to enter BIOS and change the boot priority so you can boot from the floppy disk. If it is not bootable you will need a Windows 95 or Windows 98 CD-ROM to boot from and then select boot into DOS (command prompt only). Once at command prompt, use the following commands:

    A:
    dir
    afudos bios.bin

    The first command changes the current directory (current folder in Windows terms) to the root of the floppy disk A:
    The second command displays a list of the contents of the current directory, in this case the floppy disk files.
    The third loads the afudos utility with the BIOS file bios.bin (change the command as appropriate). I'm not 100% sure, but the syntax of the last command could be that:

    afudos /i bios.bin

    where the /i means input. It was too long ago when I last used it and I cannot test it right now to tell you exactly. Normally if you do a syntax error you should see a message of how to use it. In worst case just use the dir command to see the files, write down the filename of the BIOS file and execute the afudos command without parameters. There should be possible to load a file. Unlike Windows, in DOS you cannot always browse for the file, you simply type the filename, that's why I told you to write it down, so you remember what it is.

    Warning: While flashing the BIOS keep the computer on, don't reset or shutdown until the process is complete, or the BIOS will be corrupt and your computer won't boot and require professional attention! When completed successfully (I hope) you will be prompted to reset. Remove the floppy disk and any CD-ROM and press the reset button. If there is no reset button, hold power to completely switch off. Wait a few seconds and then power on again.

    Good luck!

    PS: If the afudos command tells you your motherboard is not supported or any other error, abort! Probably you have downloaded a version that doesn't support your motherboard. Try an older or newer version as appropriate.
    Thank you once again for the detailed method.Sorry Floppy is not in condition to use .i should tell u about it earlier.please tell me can i follow this method using usb pendrive
    Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source: BIOS Update
    As i told earlier i got .rom only from motherboard website zebronics Index of /downloads/motherboard/NF7050_8_channel
    remaining things , i got from Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source: BIOS Update
    should i proceed?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,240
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.1198)
       14 Mar 2016 #39

    Connect the USB Flash drive with your PC switched off (it may not be detected if you connect it after). Switch on the computer and go to BIOS. See if there is any "legacy USB" setting and enable it. This should allow you to use USB keyboard and mouse in DOS, and in most cases will map the USB Flash drive and make it appear as a second internal hard disk drive, so DOS can detect it and use it (provided it is formatted in FAT or FAT32). Then you either make the USB Flash drive boot to DOS (Google it) or boot with a Windows 95 or 98 CD-ROM. Since the USB Flash drive will be the only "hard disk" formatted in FAT or FAT32, it should be assigned C (or D). To check it, type the commands:

    C:
    dir

    and you should see the contents of it. Type the command

    CD BIOS

    to change to the BIOS folder (assuming you copied the BIOS files in a BIOS named folder, change as appropriate). Then proceed as in my previous post.

    Another solution is to shrink your hard disk partition by a very small amount (few MB) and create a new partition formatted as FAT32. Copy the BIOS files there and boot to DOS. It should be assigned C and accessible from DOS, so you don't need to use a USB Flash drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Mar 2016 #40

    spapakons said: View Post
    Connect the USB Flash drive with your PC switched off (it may not be detected if you connect it after). Switch on the computer and go to BIOS. See if there is any "legacy USB" setting and enable it. This should allow you to use USB keyboard and mouse in DOS, and in most cases will map the USB Flash drive and make it appear as a second internal hard disk drive, so DOS can detect it and use it (provided it is formatted in FAT or FAT32). Then you either make the USB Flash drive boot to DOS (Google it) or boot with a Windows 95 or 98 CD-ROM. Since the USB Flash drive will be the only "hard disk" formatted in FAT or FAT32, it should be assigned C (or D). To check it, type the commands:

    C:
    dir

    and you should see the contents of it. Type the command

    CD BIOS

    to change to the BIOS folder (assuming you copied the BIOS files in a BIOS named folder, change as appropriate). Then proceed as in my previous post.

    Another solution is to shrink your hard disk partition by a very small amount (few MB) and create a new partition formatted as FAT32. Copy the BIOS files there and boot to DOS. It should be assigned C and accessible from DOS, so you don't need to use a USB Flash drive.
    Hi Successfully updated the BIOS and also had back up of the old bios from the above link method i posted earlier.Now my mobo supports E8500 on win 10 64 bit .Now in AIda64 engineer says e8500 has cmpxchg16b(previously no).So the key is updating BIOS if available.Thank God my mobo had bios update. Thank you very much for your support.You can also try updating BIOS.Good Luck for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi, as with many I have upgraded to Windows 10 today and it is going well except for the fact I am unable to save any files or create new ones in the Documents and Pictures folders or any sub-folders within these folders, and I have no idea why it...
"The CPU isn't supported" error true or not in Installation and Upgrade
I have gotten the app in my Windows 7 system. There was the warning/error "The CPU isn't supported", but still said "Your upgrade is reserved!" I assumed that the reservation would over-run the error. I thought: why would windows 10 accept the...
I have upgraded 5 machines and clean installed 3 machines. Experienced an issue with one machine with continuous corruption problems After the 3rd attempt I discovered that even with a Clean Install of Win 10 I get unrepairable errors - Sorry...
Microsoft Not Yet Ready to Describe What "Supported Lifetime of the Device" Means for Windows 10
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32.
Find Us