How to format a hard disk correctly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1

    How to format a hard disk correctly?


    Hello guys,

    since you helped me alot with my previous problem, I wanted to ask something. My PC is slowed down a lot in comparison to how it was. So, I wanted to ask how to delete everything from the hard disk such that everything is working as before.

    How would I delete everything on the hard disk correctly such that the PC works like in the beginning where I have to set a new account etc.?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 27,145
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2

    This tutorial will show you how to reset Windows 10 to remove everything and start over completely with a clean installation of Windows 10 on your PC.
    Reset Windows 10
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 38,376
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #3

    Hi, you could use whichever of the options you wish (choose carefully) here:
    Reset Windows 10

    or ultimately you could clean install Windows (meaning you start from scratch- a bare account, no programs, no data on C: ):
    Clean Install Windows 10

    I have two Windows installations that have been running and been upgraded over several years without such a problem. This is not an inevitable outcome.

    A few find this happening because of disk transfer rate problems after an upgrade; it could occur because resources are being used excessively (see your task manager when your PC is nominally idle- expect to see near zero usage and plenty of free RAM). It could happen because you don't have enough free space on C:

    I.e. the cause of your PC slowing could be relatively simple..

    Compare performance after a clean boot (Google or see tutorial if unsure how) for example.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #4

    dalchina said:
    Hi, you could use whichever of the options you wish (choose carefully) here:
    Reset Windows 10

    or ultimately you could clean install Windows (meaning you start from scratch- a bare account, no programs, no data on C: ):
    Clean Install Windows 10

    I have two Windows installations that have been running and been upgraded over several years without such a problem. This is not an inevitable outcome.

    A few find this happening because of disk transfer rate problems after an upgrade; it could occur because resources are being used excessively (see your task manager when your PC is nominally idle- expect to see near zero usage and plenty of free RAM). It could happen because you don't have enough free space on C:
    I do not know why, but my disk transfer is always at the maximum (100%) that is why I wanted to delete everything. I have enough ram (40% usage) and my CPU works fine as well. Regarding my problem that my hard disk is always fully used, what would you recommend me to do?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 38,376
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #5

    Thank you for your reply.

    I do not know why, but my disk transfer is always at the maximum (100%)
    That could be a driver issue - there are a number of threads on
    100% disk usage
    low transfer rate
    (I.e. the disk is reported as fully in use, but not moving much data).

    Search the forum for any solved threads on this.

    Did that start after a feature update (upgrade) for example?

    Also worth checking the disk. Try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - best instant analysis including connections/cables/data transfer.

    I recall one thread where data transfers were failing frequently and either a new cable or simply reseating everything was needed.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    dalchina said:
    Thank you for your reply.


    That could be a driver issue - there are a number of threads on
    100% disk usage
    low transfer rate
    (I.e. the disk is reported as fully in use, but not moving much data).

    Search the forum for any solved threads on this.
    I will, thank you!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 38,376
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #7

    See amended post above..
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 27,145
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    Antor said:
    ... Regarding my problem that my hard disk is always fully used, what would you recommend me to do?
    That depends on what is using your disk, to see that open Task Manager and select the Processes tab. Click on the title of the % Disk column to sort by disk use. Take a screenshot and post it in this thread.

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    dalchina said:
    See amended post above..
    Yes, I remember that everything slowed down after an upgrade but its 1 year ago so I cannot fully remember.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bree said:
    That depends on what is using your disk, to see that open Task Manager and select the Processes tab. Click on the title of the % Disk column to sort by disk use. Take a screenshot and post it in this thread.

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
    How to format a hard disk correctly?-unbenannt.png
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 38,376
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #10

    Could you post a screenshot of your Update History please?

    Also the Performance tab of your task manager, for that disk, showing the transfer rate.

    Also use Hard Disk Sentinel as above (SSDs too) and post a screenshot of what it says about each disk on its GUI.

    Please complete your PC specs (tutorial available - click My Computers under my post for example)
    What is your full Windows build number?
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums