Win 10 v2004 & HP Device Drivers

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

  1. Posts : 165
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0.19044 (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #41

    OldNavyGuy said:
    That's fine.

    Go ahead and post the Installed Key results, as mentioned (and demonstrated) above, for each one.
    Win 10 v2004 & HP Device Drivers-show-key-plus-5.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,867
    Windows 10 Pro 2004 20H1
       #42

    So there's the General Volume License Key we've been talking about.

    As mentioned, it should be OEM or Retail.

    If Microsoft gave you this key, it's wrong.

    Contact them to get it corrected.
    Last edited by OldNavyGuy; 29 Jun 2020 at 02:26.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 165
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0.19044 (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #43

    OldNavyGuy said:
    So there's the General Volume License Key we've been talking about.

    As mentioned, it should be OEM or Retail.

    If Microsoft gave you this key, it's wrong.

    Contact them to get it corrected.
    I've got several keys. I got them from Microsoft.

    I contacted Microsoft Support 19 June asking how to get my key for Win 10 Pro, because I was anticipating a clean install to resolve my v2004 unstable system. They had me type a command into the command prompt window to retrieve the key. I saved the key on note pad. When I looked into the directory, I saw a previous saved key that I got from Microsoft back in November when I purchased the Win 10 Pro upgrade. The keys are not the same. My original HP Laptop had a bad keyboard key, so I had to order a new HP Laptop to replace my original. Best Buy didn't have the model in stock, so there was a couple of weeks wait. When I got the new replacement, I contacted Microsoft to upgrade the OS from Home to Pro again. Microsoft opened a support session and changed the key. Apparently they just used a volume license key rather than the original key I got from Microsoft to perform the OS upgrade.

    The key that I found in my directory from November appears to be a retail key.

    Win 10 v2004 & HP Device Drivers-show-key-plus-6.jpg



    I just contacted Microsoft Support and was chatting with a Microsoft Support volunteer and asked about how to open a case to get Microsoft to clear this issue up. I initiated a case via their website and should hear something tomorrow.

    Although, based on experience, there's no guarantee that you get a correct answer from a low level Microsoft rep.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,867
    Windows 10 Pro 2004 20H1
       #44

    You can do it yourself.

    Settings > Update & Security > Activation

    In the Update product key section, click on Change product key.

    Enter the valid Retail key.

    Click Next.

    Click Activate.

    If it takes, you're done.

    To validate, run ShowKeyPlus again.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 165
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0.19044 (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #45

    OldNavyGuy said:
    You can do it yourself.

    Settings > Update & Security > Activation

    In the Update product key section, click on Change product key.

    Enter the valid Retail key.

    Click Next.
    I was thinking about doing that, but I thought there might be an activation issue, so I decided to hold off until I hear my Microsoft Support.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,867
    Windows 10 Pro 2004 20H1
       #46

    See the updated post above.

    It will either activate, or it won't.

    I just re-activated mine documenting the steps I posted.

    It works if the key is valid.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 165
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0.19044 (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #47

    OldNavyGuy said:
    See the updated post above.

    It will either activate, or it won't.

    I just re-activated mine documenting the steps I posted.

    It works if the key is valid.
    OK, I just tried it and it didn't activate. I will contact the Microsoft Store and attempt to get a retail key.

    When I purchased the Win 10 Pro upgrade, I never received an email with a key, nor do I see a key on my invoice. I got the key verbally from a telephone support session. I'm not sure how Microsoft handles these types of upgrades. It was interesting, because after the upgrade to Win 10 Pro, I had a couple of HP Support reps indicate that they couldn't provide support, because the OS was not original to the Laptop and I didn't buy the OS upgrade from HP.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,867
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #48

    tjg79 said:
    I've got several keys. I got them from Microsoft.

    I contacted Microsoft Support 19 June asking how to get my key for Win 10 Pro, because I was anticipating a clean install to resolve my v2004 unstable system. They had me type a command into the command prompt window to retrieve the key. I saved the key on note pad. When I looked into the directory, I saw a previous saved key that I got from Microsoft back in November when I purchased the Win 10 Pro upgrade. The keys are not the same. My original HP Laptop had a bad keyboard key, so I had to order a new HP Laptop to replace my original. Best Buy didn't have the model in stock, so there was a couple of weeks wait. When I got the new replacement, I contacted Microsoft to upgrade the OS from Home to Pro again. Microsoft opened a support session and changed the key. Apparently they just used a volume license key rather than the original key I got from Microsoft to perform the OS upgrade.

    The key that I found in my directory from November appears to be a retail key.

    Win 10 v2004 & HP Device Drivers-show-key-plus-6.jpg



    I just contacted Microsoft Support and was chatting with a Microsoft Support volunteer and asked about how to open a case to get Microsoft to clear this issue up. I initiated a case via their website and should hear something tomorrow.

    Although, based on experience, there's no guarantee that you get a correct answer from a low level Microsoft rep.
    That key is the default key to upgrade from Home to Pro but will not activate it if I'm not mistaken.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 165
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0.19044 (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #49

    Fabler2 said:
    That key is the default key to upgrade from Home to Pro but will not activate it if I'm not mistaken.
    When you purchase an OS upgrade from the Microsoft Store, how are you supposed to get the correct key that will activate for subsequent OS clean re-installs?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,867
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #50

    tjg79 said:
    When you purchase an OS upgrade from the Microsoft Store, how are you supposed to get the correct key that will activate for subsequent OS clean re-installs?
    It's embedded within the motherboard and activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account. Just checked my receipt from Microsoft for buying the upgrade via Stores and no mention of a key as I assume it's OEM not retail. When the laptop dies then so does the licence.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums