HDD doing a weird sound from time to time, should i be worried?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 51
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #11

    idgat said:
    What are you meaning "dangerous" - physically as to a human, or to your system?

    In the case of the latter, yes it certainly is. I would be backing up my personal data immediately. Worst case scenario, I would be checking that I have a note of all passwords, and also serial/license numbers for any relevant software programs that might require re-installation on a new drive.
    Sorry wrong term, i meant is it serious to consider, or it's normal for me, cause you know the quarantine it is not easy here to get a new HDD (atleast a reliable one). thanks

    - - - Updated - - -

    RJARRRPCGP said:
    The connectors are known to become rusted/oxidized, if not also partially eaten away! I also have a Black with the connectors turning brown! A late WD Black HDD, too!
    hmmm that's bad, i had it for like 8 years i hope nothing serious.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,472
    Windows 10 Pro
       #12

    PYTGamer said:
    i meant is it serious to consider
    Yes, as I said before make sure you've backed up all your personal data, and have a written record of your passwords, and software licenses (for those that need them if they have to be re-installed)


    hmmm that's bad, i had it for like 8 years i hope nothing serious.
    I think you've had your value out of that. What's the configuration of your device - how many drives? If 2 or more drives, maybe opportune to consider replacing the OS/system drive with an SSD.


    cause you know the quarantine it is not easy here to get a new HDD (at least a reliable one)
    eBay
    online local suppliers
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 504
    Windows 10
       #13

    hwcompat

    Look for scsi drivers installed onto CDRom, Hard Drive and basically everywhere

    Caption
    Device ID
    PNPDeviceID

    Ive deleted bogus RAID arrays from clunking drives before now and the relentless clunk stopped. Worth thinking about
    Its CTRL I on Intel and CTRL R on AMD
    Good luck

    Edit: Changed again from my stupid brain
    Another thing to do add is, if you have ever had an old MBR RAID array installed onto the same Hard Drives as a UEFI RAID array setup, the BIOS/UEFI will remember each setting and wont be deleted from the hard drive.
    You will have to go manually into MBR and UEFI and delete the raid arrays from both. Hope thats better

    Another place to have a mooch

    DISK.INF
    Last edited by Pluginz; 11 Jun 2020 at 19:11.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,340
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #14

    You have a Western Digital 1TB Green Since 2012, that's a good life span for a HDD.

    I don't know what that noise is.
    --- I'm speculating here but I wonder if there's a possibility that the read heads are inadvertently closer occasionally to the the HDD's platter.
    --- Your CrystalDiskInfo shows a Caution: that's a warning right there that I wouldn't trust.

    Immediately follow idgat's advice in post "I would be backing up my personal data immediately. Worst case scenario, I would be checking that I have a note of all passwords, and also serial/license numbers for any relevant software programs that might require re-installation on a new drive."

    In your post #11 "it is not easy here to get a new HDD (at least a reliable one)"
    --- If your HDD gives out, it still will not be easy either but it could become more than frustrating if you wait too late to search for one that suits you especially in a timely manner.

    Consider getting a replacement HDD or SSD as soon as possible and cloning your system to that replacement drive.
    --- More on that if it makes sense.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 51
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #15

    idgat said:
    Yes, as I said before make sure you've backed up all your personal data, and have a written record of your passwords, and software licenses (for those that need them if they have to be re-installed)




    I think you've had your value out of that. What's the configuration of your device - how many drives? If 2 or more drives, maybe opportune to consider replacing the OS/system drive with an SSD.




    eBay
    online local suppliers
    Yes thanks, Ebay no a chance i live in a country don't deal with online purchase x) but thanks idgat

    - - - Updated - - -

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    You have a Western Digital 1TB Green Since 2012, that's a good life span for a HDD.

    I don't know what that noise is.
    --- I'm speculating here but I wonder if there's a possibility that the read heads are inadvertently closer occasionally to the the HDD's platter.
    --- Your CrystalDiskInfo shows a Caution: that's a warning right there that I wouldn't trust.

    Immediately follow idgat's advice in post "I would be backing up my personal data immediately. Worst case scenario, I would be checking that I have a note of all passwords, and also serial/license numbers for any relevant software programs that might require re-installation on a new drive."

    In your post #11 "it is not easy here to get a new HDD (at least a reliable one)"
    --- If your HDD gives out, it still will not be easy either but it could become more than frustrating if you wait too late to search for one that suits you especially in a timely manner.

    Consider getting a replacement HDD or SSD as soon as possible and cloning your system to that replacement drive.
    --- More on that if it makes sense.
    i was going to buy an External Drive WD 1TB but i backed up my mind :x

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pluginz said:
    hwcompat

    Look for scsi drivers installed onto CDRom, Hard Drive and basically everywhere

    Caption
    Device ID
    PNPDeviceID

    Ive deleted bogus RAID arrays from clunking drives before now and the relentless clunk stopped. Worth thinking about
    Its CTRL I on Intel and CTRL R on AMD
    Good luck

    Edit: Changed again from my stupid brain
    Another thing to do add is, if you have ever had an old MBR RAID array installed onto the same Hard Drives as a UEFI RAID array setup, the BIOS/UEFI will remember each setting and wont be deleted from the hard drive.
    You will have to go manually into MBR and UEFI and delete the raid arrays from both. Hope thats better

    Another place to have a mooch

    DISK.INF
    To be honest i have no idea what are you talking about haha, i am just a normal man with a problem
    like "Ive deleted bogus RAID arrays from clunking drives " it's like Chinese to me i hope you explain to my simple mind x) thanks
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 625
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x64
       #16

    When I mean "connectors", I mean the contacts on the HDD PCB. Including, but not limited to where it connects to the head(s)
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,116
    win 10 pro x64 os build 20H2
       #17

    back up get new drive and go from there the drive is about to die , don't loos your info back it up and lay that drive to rest.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 51
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #18

    I will, thanks guys for the advice.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums