Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    Win10-32bit
       #1

    Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD


    So this interesting.
    I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it.

    So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive.
    My box will not boot without the drive!

    I just built this machine back in December and I used a 500GB SSD for my main drive, while I have 2 regular HDD's for storage and movies.

    I turned off, "hide protected operating system files" and found the folders "Boot, Recovery, System Volume information and $Recycle Bin" all showing up!

    I have no idea how this drive got dragged into the install, but I certainly do not want my main drive depending on it to boot. It just makes no sense.

    I don't want to change ownership of the files and delete then manually either since I have a strong feeling it will kill my system.

    Does anyone know how to go about "unlinking" these 2 drives?
      My Computer

  2. sn00ker's Avatar
    Posts : 547
    10 pro 64
       #2

    Why not do a clean install and only have the drive you want windows to be installed on
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4
    Win10-32bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    because thats a lot of customized settings i would have to redo

    I found a possible reason / solution

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42...n7-boots-drive
      My Computer

  4. linw's Avatar
    Posts : 1,915
    win 10 Insider
       #4

    That certainly sounds like your problem, alright.

    I know what I would do, but all these fixes carry some risk! I use Macrium Reflect and I would use its CD boot disk to fix the booting problems. I would disconnect the old drive then boot to the Macrium boot cd and tell it to fix boot problems. This boot fixer has worked well for me in the past.

    The posts you pointed to are basically doing this but with the win 7 install disk.

    However you sort it, good luck. Let's know how you get on.
      My Computers

  5. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,257
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #5

    dragonash said:
    So this interesting.
    I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it.

    So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive.
    My box will not boot without the drive!

    I just built this machine back in December and I used a 500GB SSD for my main drive, while I have 2 regular HDD's for storage and movies.

    I turned off, "hide protected operating system files" and found the folders "Boot, Recovery, System Volume information and $Recycle Bin" all showing up!

    I have no idea how this drive got dragged into the install, but I certainly do not want my main drive depending on it to boot. It just makes no sense.

    I don't want to change ownership of the files and delete then manually either since I have a strong feeling it will kill my system.

    Does anyone know how to go about "unlinking" these 2 drives?
    Your boot partition resides on the other drive. There should be a tutorial here about building a boot partition. Go to the tutorial page.
      My Computer


  6. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #6

    I remember having similar scenarios with 7, going from dual boots to single or changing the system drive. The easy solution was to disconnect the unwanted boot drive. Boot from the Win 7 DVD, choose repair and it would setup the system drive to boot in a few seconds.

    Not sure if the repair options in 10 work in quite the same manner.
      My Computer

  7. caperjack's Avatar
    Posts : 5,095
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #7

    Nus said:
    I remember having similar scenarios with 7, going from dual boots to single or changing the system drive. The easy solution was to disconnect the unwanted boot drive. Boot from the Win 7 DVD, choose repair and it would setup the system drive to boot in a few seconds.

    Not sure if the repair options in 10 work in quite the same manner.
    this worked for me ,when i was duel booting a ssd with win8 and spin drive with win10, i formated win 10 drive ,and had same boot problem, i booted to my win8 dvd and ran the repair and it fixed the mbr
      My Computer

  8. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,521
    Windows 10 Pro X64 20H4 19042.928
       #8

    badrobot said:
    Your boot partition resides on the other drive. There should be a tutorial here about building a boot partition. Go to the tutorial page.
    I thought there was too but I can't find it.
      My Computers

  9. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,257
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #9

    Ztruker said:
    I thought there was too but I can't find it.
    Oh... maybe it's in Eight Forums. It should be the same.
      My Computer

  10. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,521
    Windows 10 Pro X64 20H4 19042.928
       #10

    Can't find it there either. I see one in sevenforums.

    Basically it involves using EasyBCD to move the boot files from System Reserved to C:. Not sure how you tell EasyBCD to move from EFI to C:.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:30.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums