If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done?


  1. Posts : 239
    10
       #1

    If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done?


    I have an 2TB WD My Ultra Passport external drive which has always worked fine but today I plugged it in and it took long for the drive icon to show up in Windows Explorer. When i clicked it - my system was frozen until I physically disconnected it.
    I tried different ports and different computers. Same thing. Also, the WD Drive Utilities is not recognizing it. The little light is on, and I hear it spinning but its cyclical like a regular rhythmic pattern. If I right-click and do Properties...it searches and searches...until it says that the drive is unavailable (Parameter is incorrect). Then it says 0bytes.

    It's used as a backup so losing the data would only mean losing a copy and I'd have to replace the drive.

    Is there anything else I can do to test it before I conclude that it has finished its life?
    Last edited by orlando1974; 20 May 2020 at 13:15.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 43,202
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #2

    Hi
    I hear it spinning but its cyclical like a regular rhythmic pattern
    - very typical of a real mechanical issue. Replace it.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4,453
    Win 11 Pro 22000.708
       #3

    The drive in the 2TB WDC My Ultra Passport appears to have only a USB interface, rather than being a SATA drive in a USB enclosure. There's no chance that it could have a defective USB adapter.

    I think it's a goner. I offer my regrets.

    Before you toss it, I suggest disabling it completely with a tool similar to one I've used for the purpose: an 8lb sledge hammer.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 239
    10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    bobkn said:
    The drive in the 2TB WDC My Ultra Passport appears to have only a USB interface, rather than being a SATA drive in a USB enclosure. There's no chance that it could have a defective USB adapter.

    I think it's a goner. I offer my regrets.

    Before you toss it, I suggest disabling it completely with a tool similar to one I've used for the purpose: an 8lb sledge hammer.
    LOL ok!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 X64
       #5

    It could be the HDD controller, but It sounds more like that the enclosure controller failed to me. Have you tried removing the drive from the enclosure to see if you can access it?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 239
    10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    trinsic said:
    It could be the HDD controller, but It sounds more like that the enclosure controller failed to me. Have you tried removing the drive from the enclosure to see if you can access it?
    Hi thank you for your suggestion. This is a sealed portable drive (not an enclosure).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 X64
       #7

    orlando1974 said:
    Hi thank you for your suggestion. This is a sealed portable drive (not an enclosure).
    Yea it looks like this model uses the controller on the drive itself for the interface, never mind.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums