Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #41

    Macboatmaster said:
    I am trying my best for you
    Can you please tell me what this means


    START where - it doesn't say anything - where please
    #39.. Top right corner. And right underneath that says "QUICK SCAN" - which you told me to do, so I did.. I posted the picture to make it easier.
      My Computer

  2. Macboatmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 863
    10, 8.1 and 7 all Professional versions, and Linux Mint
       #42

    If you look at your image of the Health status where I said it did not look good
    you will see the large number of reallocated sector count 9800 and the same number of reallocated event count

    An image of one of my drives On Health is attached.
    I am sure you will see the difference

    I still remain convinced that your drive has problems

    The NEXT UPDATE is an update to the Health Status.

    So if you minimize that HD Tune window and access the drive to look at your pics, docs, etc - and use the computer as normal as far as you can for the next few hours and then open HDTune again and see if the 9800 count has increased.

    When you close this session - close all open apps such as HDTune, NOTING FIRST the count of the two items with the warning.

    When you next power on, repeat the same exercise open HDTune and again read the items with the warning.

    Even although it has not found bad sectors on the Error scan, in that all is green, does not mean that is an accurate report, at this stage.

    If the reallocated sector count has increased tomorrow, run the ERROR SCAN again
    Quick Scan

    Regarding your earlier post, I trust you will appreciate that I had no way of knowing that you meant the START on the HDTune

    Please post results when you have them
    on present error count figures 9800 -
    either NOT increased or the new figure

    AND the error scan if you run it, as a result of the above increasing.

    YOU have done well, and I quite understand your confusion at times, as of course this is all new territory to you.
    Please understand that I, or indeed anyone else, cannot type out instructions to include every single click, etc you must make to follow my guidance. Of course you must click START for the error scan,


    On your screenshot on post 37 is there any other entry with warning below what is visible on the image please.

    I think I can assure you that we will, find the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works-06-april-2020_18-30.png  
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #43

    Macboatmaster said:
    If you look at your image of the Health status where I said it did not look good
    you will see the large number of reallocated sector count 9800 and the same number of reallocated event count

    An image of one of my drives On Health is attached.
    I am sure you will see the difference

    I still remain convinced that your drive has problems

    The NEXT UPDATE is an update to the Health Status.

    So if you minimize that HD Tune window and access the drive to look at your pics, docs, etc - and use the computer as normal as far as you can for the next few hours and then open HDTune again and see if the 9800 count has increased.

    When you close this session - close all open apps such as HDTune, NOTING FIRST the count of the two items with the warning.

    When you next power on, repeat the same exercise open HDTune and again read the items with the warning.

    Even although it has not found bad sectors on the Error scan, in that all is green, does not mean that is an accurate report, at this stage.

    If the reallocated sector count has increased tomorrow, run the ERROR SCAN again
    Quick Scan

    Regarding your earlier post, I trust you will appreciate that I had no way of knowing that you meant the START on the HDTune

    Please post results when you have them
    on present error count figures 9800 -
    either NOT increased or the new figure

    AND the error scan if you run it, as a result of the above increasing.

    YOU have done well, and I quite understand your confusion at times, as of course this is all new territory to you.
    Please understand that I, or indeed anyone else, cannot type out instructions to include every single click, etc you must make to follow my guidance. Of course you must click START for the error scan,


    On your screenshot on post 37 is there any other entry with warning below what is visible on the image please.

    I think I can assure you that we will, find the problem.
    I've been using it as normal, and in fact, I have 6 tabs opened on Firefox, including one that has audio playing right now, but the number hasn't exceeded 9800, but I will upload a screenshot.

    I appreciate all your help. I hope we can get to the bottom of this. If all else fails, is my only option to do a complete Windows install? I should point out I have no CDs (or even a drive)... I should mention (you never know) that I've always had the external drive hooked up, since its the only way I can half-way access an mp3, a video, even though sometimes that is impossible, as well as the constant "No Responding", or when the mouse cursor turns into a blue circle, waiting.

    Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works-06-april-2020_14-56.png
      My Computer

  4. Macboatmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 863
    10, 8.1 and 7 all Professional versions, and Linux Mint
       #44

    1.
    If all else fails, is my only option to do a complete Windows install
    No there are other ways such as a repair install, I will guide you as and when the time comes to that.

    2. I presume this
    I should mention (you never know) that I've always had the external drive hooked up,
    is the flash drive you mentioned on your opening post and you are not ONLY now telling me that you have a usb connected actual external drive, as against just a flash pen drive.

    Carry on please with the schedule I outlined to you in my last post, apart from answering point 2
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #45

    Macboatmaster said:
    1.

    No there are other ways such as a repair install, I will guide you as and when the time comes to that.

    2. I presume this

    is the flash drive you mentioned on your opening post and you are not ONLY now telling me that you have a usb connected actual external drive, as against just a flash pen drive.

    Carry on please with the schedule I outlined to you in my last post, apart from answering point 2
    It's just a thumb drive...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works-06-april-2020_16-50.png
      My Computer

  6. RichardC's Avatar
    Posts : 268
    windows10 home v20H2 OS Build 19042.928
       #46

    Hi to both of you. I've been following the threads with interest. It seems the nerves are getting stretched. I hope that you get this figured out. There is one thing I did notice. In the two screenshots of the event viewer, there seemed to be two scans taken 15 minutes apart. That doesn't seem right. And the last scan (id 26212) does state that it was read only. In the second screenshot, he has the second item highlighted (id 26226). That one didn't say read only. But that one was scanned 15 minutes before 26212. Something seems out of wack, so to speak. Just saying. Good Luck in getting it worked out.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #47

    RichardC said:
    Hi to both of you. I've been following the threads with interest. It seems the nerves are getting stretched. I hope that you get this figured out. There is one thing I did notice. In the two screenshots of the event viewer, there seemed to be two scans taken 15 minutes apart. That doesn't seem right. And the last scan (id 26212) does state that it was read only. In the second screenshot, he has the second item highlighted (id 26226). That one didn't say read only. But that one was scanned 15 minutes before 26212. Something seems out of wack, so to speak. Just saying. Good Luck in getting it worked out.
    Yes, thanks for noticing. I couldn't understand, either, because it was one LONG 14-hr scan.
      My Computer

  8. Macboatmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 863
    10, 8.1 and 7 all Professional versions, and Linux Mint
       #48

    RichardC
    Thanks
    Please be assured that my nerves are not getting stretched.

    I will continue for as long as necessary with MortSahlFan, as I have assured him.

    I had noticed the aspect you mention and commented on it.

    MortSahlfan

    Only online now to check emails, on other matters, saw this so replied.
    Back online about 1930 UK time
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #49

    Macboatmaster said:
    RichardC
    Thanks
    Please be assured that my nerves are not getting stretched.

    I will continue for as long as necessary with MortSahlFan, as I have assured him.

    I had noticed the aspect you mention and commented on it.

    MortSahlfan

    Only online now to check emails, on other matters, saw this so replied.
    Back online about 1930 UK time
    OK Thanks.
      My Computer

  10. Macboatmaster's Avatar
    Posts : 863
    10, 8.1 and 7 all Professional versions, and Linux Mint
       #50

    Hi
    I wish to start please with another run of the cmd
    sfc /scannow

    When it was run before at the start of this topic you reported that it said
    Ok. 100% done. Corrupt files were repaired.
    Please run it again
    Here is a paste from a run
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.752]
    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    I do NOT need the image of your run that you are going to do now.
    All I need to know is exactly what it says when the result is reported.

    To do that, right click the top bar of the cmd window -click edit and select all, the colour will change in the window
    right click the top of that window again and click edit and then copy

    Paste it to your reply please.
      My Computer


 
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums