SATA to USB 3.0 Adaptors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,544
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #11

    But they started going away after the ZIP750 came out when folks started using the 650MB CDs. The ZIP750 never really caught on well, probably due to cost. I never had that one as the drives could read all the disks but couldn't write to the ZIP100 therefore couldn't erase/reuse.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 48
    Linux mint 19.2
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Berton said:
    Well, yeah. I never know when a client will find a disk in a drawer and want know what's on it. Even have 1 client with a stack of ZIP Disks, have a drive for that. Have 2 Dell Latitude Notebooks with interchangeable CD/DVD and Floppy drives.
    Ah I understand (; it's great then if you can help people recover their things. I remember we had a Zip drive at home when I was 13 years old but I never used it myself, i think it was to backup all the office work at home.
      My Computer

  3. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,515
    Windows 10 Pro
       #13

    @windowz123,

    The cable you mentioned will not work with any 3.5" desktop type hard drive that I know of, they require a separate power supply.

    The cable will work with a 2.5" laptop type hard drive, but it should not be used for regular use. It should only be used for very infrequent situations such as cloning the drive to a new one.

    They do make cable only solutions for the 3.5" drives which includes power supplies (and it sounds like you might have found one), and those too should only be for extremely infrequent use.

    You need either an enclosure, or a docking station.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 48
    Linux mint 19.2
    Thread Starter
       #14

    NavyLCDR said:
    @windowz123,

    The cable you mentioned will not work with any 3.5" desktop type hard drive that I know of, they require a separate power supply.

    The cable will work with a 2.5" laptop type hard drive, but it should not be used for regular use. It should only be used for very infrequent situations such as cloning the drive to a new one.

    They do make cable only solutions for the 3.5" drives which includes power supplies (and it sounds like you might have found one), and those too should only be for extremely infrequent use.

    You need either an enclosure, or a docking station.
    Allright!

    Thanks for the info! NavyLCDR

    This is settled, I'll go with the enclosure type / Docking station.

    Thanks again for your tips.
      My Computer

  5. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,717
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #15

    Hmm.

    I have a couple of systems that have USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectors on the motherboard and a 2 TB USB-NVMe external SSD - works very nicely.
    It will also work with USB 3.0 but the speed advantage is basically gone.

    FWIW.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 48
    Linux mint 19.2
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Compumind said:
    Hmm.

    I have a couple of systems that have USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectors on the motherboard and a 2 TB USB-NVMe external SSD - works very nicely.
    It will also work with USB 3.0 but the speed advantage is basically gone.

    FWIW.
    Ok ok that's another device I didn't know existed, the NVMe enclosure for SSD. I never even thought about a system like that, learning plenty of new things today.

    I can get speeds of about 140mb/sec using USB 3.1 and a 10$ 3.1 Usb key to copy from key to computer, not too bad. With a SSD I guess it must be much more then that. What kind of speed do you get @ Compumind?

    Great avatar by the way, that Zeta Reticuli gray alien, soon, I'll fire up the TV and put on an Ancient Alien episode before I go to sleep
      My Computer

  7. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,717
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #17

    windowz123 said:
    Ok that's another device I didn't know existed, the NVMe enclosure for SSD. I never even thought about a system like that, learning plenty of new things today.
    It's an USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure in which a NVMe Memory Stick in inserted. I get in excess of 900-950 MB/ps. Sometimes I even get 1.2 GB/ps.

    I use a Sabrent device and there is also another by StarTech which is very nice. Look here...

    USB Type-C Aluminum Enclosure for M.2 NVMe SSD in Gray (EC-NVME) Sabrent

    M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure | PCIe SSDs | USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) USB-C | StarTech.com

    As for a USB flash drive, it is significantly lower - you need a quality 3.1, Gen 2 device, like Samsung, etc. Price depends on capacity and vendor.

    Here's what I use:

    USB 3.1 Flash Drive DUO Plus 256GB Memory & Storage - MUF-256DB/AM | Samsung US

    Hope this helps!

    Last edited by Compumind; 29 Mar 2020 at 19:55.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 358
    Windows 10
       #18

    Maybe it is 900 MB/s (bytes)? 900 mbps is equivalent to 112 MB/s, not very impressive.
    Last edited by Anibor; 29 Mar 2020 at 19:20.
      My Computer

  9. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,717
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #19

    Anibor said:
    Maybe it is 900 MB/s (bytes)? 900 mbps is equivalent to 112 MB/s, not very impressive.
    LOL! Thanks. Post corrected.

      My Computer


  10. Posts : 48
    Linux mint 19.2
    Thread Starter
       #20

    900 megabytes per seconds gee that's amazing transfer speed, here I am far from that.

    The best I've seen in my new computer so far is a transfer between my SATA SSD and HDD at 240 megabytes per seconds stable, transferring a 100gb file, I was all hype about it.

    It's not worth garbage

    Thanks for the links Compumind and the link to the Samsung key too, i have heard before that these keys were among the best.. I should get one someday.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums