"This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,132
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #11

    3point1 said:
    Command Prompt is not responsive.
    Go to C:\Windows\System32. Righ-click on cmd. Select Run as administrator.

    "This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)-cmd.jpg
      My Computer

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,132
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #12

    3point1 said:
    I don't have PowerShell in my menu
    Run the following via Command Prompt.

    %windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
      My Computer

  3. 3point1's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 ver 1909
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Matthew Wai said:
    Go to C:\Windows\System32. Righ-click on cmd. Select Run as administrator.
    OK, but how does this answer my question of why these commands are not responsive from the Start menu?
      My Computer

  4. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,132
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #14

    3point1 said:
    Command Prompt is not responsive.
    Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

    1. Click on the "Download" button in the above tutorial.
    2. Double-click on the downloaded .bat file. Select Yes.
    3. Enter Command Prompt
    4. Enter %windir%\System32\cmd.exe
    5. An elevated shortcut will be created on your desktop.
      My Computer

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,132
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #15

    3point1 said:
    OK, but how does this answer my question of why these commands are not responsive from the Start menu?
    Run the following command:

    sfc /scannow
      My Computer

  6. 3point1's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 ver 1909
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Matthew Wai said:
    Run the following command:
    sfc /scannow
    Results:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.657](c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.C:\WINDOWS\system32>
      My Computer

  7. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,584
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #17

    3point1 said:
    This worked, and is slightly less cumbersome than rebooting. Thank you for the suggestion.
    See post #3 above - I don't have PowerShell in my menu, but Command Prompt is not responsive. Can you address the issue described in that post, or shall I create a new thread?
    Click Start, Settings, Taskbar and choose what is seen, either PowerShell or Command Prompt, 2 options for each.
    "This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)-image.png

    In File Exporer if a drive letter has been applied to USB drives [a permanent-type situation] they will not have the Eject on the right-click context menu but otherwise the drive letter is temporary such as with Thumb drives and will have the Eject choice. Those with a drive letter will still show in Safely Remove, the two on my list are that way, a 4TB and a 2TB drive.
    "This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)-image.png
      My Computers

  8. 3point1's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 ver 1909
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Berton said:
    Click Start, Settings, Taskbar and choose what is seen, either PowerShell or Command Prompt, 2 options for each.
    Thank you for the instructions, but I'm more comfortable with the Command Prompt, unless there's a specific reason to switch to PowerShell.

    Berton said:
    In File Exporer if a drive letter has been applied to USB drives [a permanent-type situation] they will not have the Eject on the right-click context menu but otherwise the drive letter is temporary such as with Thumb drives and will have the Eject choice. Those with a drive letter will still show in Safely Remove, the two on my list are that way, a 4TB and a 2TB drive.
    Trivia: In the past when flash drives were small (my first one was a whopping 128MB!), the eject option appeared in the context menu. It's just in more recent years and larger flash drives that you have to use the Safely Remove Hardware option from the systray.
      My Computer

  9. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,584
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #19

    3point1 said:
    Trivia: In the past when flash drives were small (my first one was a whopping 128MB!), the eject option appeared in the context menu. It's just in more recent years and larger flash drives that you have to use the Safely Remove Hardware option from the systray.
    How about a 64MB SD card? I think they renamed SD to SDHC beginning with 4GB and above.
    "This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)-image.png
      My Computers

  10. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,132
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #20

    3point1 said:
    OK, but how does this answer my question of why these commands are not responsive from the Start menu?
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10
    Add a new account. Sign in to it and see whether the items are responsive.

    3point1 said:
    the eject option appeared in the context menu.
    The "Eject" option exists in the context menu on my Windows 10 Version 1903.

    "This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)-eject.jpg
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums