Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Megahertz's Avatar
    Posts : 2,407
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #21

    Is the 2T HDD your boot drive or it's a data drive?

    On a failing drive, the more you use it the worst it can get.

    Back up your data is your priority. Don't backup anything else but your data. On a failing disk you can't trust on saving or cloning any programs. They can be corrupted.

    My suggestion is to buy a small SSD (120G) for windows and programs and a fist line HDD for data.
    You will have the speed of a SSD with the space of a HDD at low cost.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 613
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #22

    Megahertz said:
    Is the 2T HDD your boot drive or it's a data drive?

    On a failing drive, the more you use it the worst it can get.

    Back up your data is your priority. Don't backup anything else but your data. On a failing disk you can't trust on saving or cloning any programs. They can be corrupted.

    My suggestion is to buy a small SSD (120G) for windows and programs and a fist line HDD for data.
    You will have the speed of a SSD with the space of a HDD at low cost.
    Your reply is much appreciated!

    Sorry, I should have been more clear in my first post:

    This 2TB Seagate internal HDD contains my Windows 10 Pro installation as well as my other data files.


    The major problem I'm having at the moment:
    My files I want to backup are stored all over place... I use multiple browsers(that aren't cloud synced), there are files in the Windows 10 folders called "Documents/Desktop/Downloads", folders on my C:\ etc so it's going to take me a long time to make sure I don't forget any files I want to backup...

    Is there a way I can use a built-in feature of Windows 10 Pro that can create an image?

    I have "TeraCopy Pro" and "SeaTools for Windows" installed but I don't want to install any other 3rd party apps.
      My Computer

  3. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,635
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #23

    NiceAndShy said:
    there are files in the Windows 10 folders called "Documents/Desktop/Downloads", folders on my C:\ etc so it's going to take me a long time to make sure I don't forget any files I want to backup...
    Is this the first time you have ever backed-up your user data files?

    It sounds like you user data files are interspersed with the system installation files on the same hard drive. In this case, all you can do is methodically locate and copy your user data files to a USB connected device.

    Its been 4 days since you started this thread - I suggest you focus on copying your user data off, and only post back here once you are done with that.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 613
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #24

    Golden said:
    Is this the first time you have ever backed-up your user data files?

    It sounds like you user data files are interspersed with the system installation files on the same hard drive. In this case, all you can do is methodically locate and copy your user data files to a USB connected device.

    Its been 4 days since you started this thread - I suggest you focus on copying your user data off, and only post back here once you are done with that.
    Your reply is much appreciated!

    I've already started backing up my files/folders to an external USB HDD using Teracopy Pro, but it's taking time because I'm doing folders individually...

    What about creating an image of the whole 2TB Seagate internal HDD? What's the best way to do this?
      My Computer

  5. FreeBooter's Avatar
    Posts : 3,987
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #25

    You can use Macrium Reflect Free to create image of the HDD.
      My Computer

  6. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,635
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #26

    NiceAndShy said:
    What about creating an image of the whole 2TB Seagate internal HDD? What's the best way to do this?
    In my opinion, Macrium Reflect is the best tool for this job.....but only after you copied all your user data off the HDD.
      My Computers

  7. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,993
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #27

    Disk imaging will create a backup of everything on the partitions you image.

    However, if there is disk corruption affecting what you try to image, then as I said before imaging will fail on that partition.

    Given you only have one bad block, you may be lucky. That's the most straightforward thing to try, as it's a single operation.
    Any attempt to copy off all the individual folders and data will take much longer, and you won't be certain of having backed up everything.

    If your drive is failing (and we're not certain how badly), then the longer you run it as your system disk, the longer you're writing to it and the worse things could get.

    So the safest thing to attempt would be
    a: boot your system from a Macrium boot disk, having connecting a large enough external disk
    That avoids writing to your system disk.

    b. Create an image of all significant partitions - and hope that succeeds.

    Image files can be mounted and files copied from them with file explorer.


    For the future: when installing Win 10, plan then where most of your data will be so you can back it up.

    Have a backup plan.

    I prefer to have my data on a disk or partition OTHER than C: so O/S maintenance does not affect it.
    This can be impossible for some data e.g. program configuration, but even favourites/bookmarks and emails if using an email client need consideration.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 613
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #28

    This problem of this Seagate 2TB internal HDD has been on my mind all day and all night so I appreciate every reply!

    When I used the Seagate app "Seatools for Windows" and I ran a "Long generic test" overnight it seemed to stop at 61%.

    Also, the red block in HD Tune also seems to appear at the 61% point: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB

    Does this mean that the damage begins at the 61% point in the Seagate 2TB internal HDD?

    This is why I thought that if I delete files/uninstall apps I'd be pro-longing this Seagate 2TB internal HDD's life?

    EDIT:
    I know 3rd party apps may be helpful for my situation, but I don't want to install them.

    The current 3rd party apps I currently have are: HD Tune Free, TeraCopy Pro, CPUID Monitor and a couple others.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 38,397
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #29

    Sea Tools long generic test is similar to the test used by computer manufacturers for warranty replacement.
    If it did displayed fail > replace the drive
    The short generic displayed fail so it's not necessary to perform the long generic as it should fail.

    HD Tune full error scan displayed one bad block but this is already a failed drive.

    There are end users that replace drives as soon as there is a problem with any test result.
    Others continue using drives until the terminal event.

    The most important factor was typed many times in the thread is to backup important files.

    Problematic drives may have performance problems (slow read and write), and cause problems with freezing and unexpected shutdowns and restarts.

    Backups can be performed by making images or copying files.

    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

    Copying files can be performed overnight and the next day for most drive sizes.

    For drive replacement you can run the Crucial scanner:
    Crucial System Scanner
      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,993
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #30

    There seems little point in adding more to this thread until we know @NiceAndShy has actually made some attempt by whatever means to try backing up data.
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums