My external hard disk is dead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,492
    Windows 10 Pro
       #11

    thomaseg1 said:
    sounds like your in good shape then.
    A local computer shop can tell you how to dispose of the HD.
    I remember drilling a hole through the platter to insure no data could be gain from it.
    Back before I retired.
    "Drilling" the holes with a.308 or 30-06 is even more fun!
      My Computer

  2. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 13,331
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.804 & 21327.1000
       #12

    NavyLCDR said:
    "Drilling" the holes with a.308 or 30-06 is even more fun!

      My Computers

  3. Corona's Avatar
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       #13

    Take the magnet out of the HD, it's incredibly powerful for its size. And make a wind chime out of the disks and parts.
      My Computer

  4. Tutman's Avatar
    Posts : 65
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #14

    [QUOTE=jumanji;1837843]Do not rely on [COLOR=#333333]USB IDE/SATA converter. If you had taken the HDD out of its casing , it is best to connect it internally on a desktop and have a check.



    I agree! I had one a few months ago that was making clicking noises and not reading from external. I took it out and put it IN the desktop and had to repair it but working fine now. I had to recover my software but it was acting like the drive was dead or dying , and making clicking noises and only showing as logical drive but it was the onboard USB controller that was flaky!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 180
    Windows 10 Pro v.20H2 OS Build 19041.662
    Thread Starter
       #15

    Corona said:
    Take the magnet out of the HD, it's incredibly powerful for its size. And make a wind chime out of the disks and parts.
    News to me. I didn't know that there's a magnet inside a hard disk.:)

    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=Tutman;1838055]
    jumanji said:
    Do not rely on [COLOR=#333333]USB IDE/SATA converter. If you had taken the HDD out of its casing , it is best to connect it internally on a desktop and have a check.



    I agree! I had one a few months ago that was making clicking noises and not reading from external. I took it out and put it IN the desktop and had to repair it but working fine now. I had to recover my software but it was acting like the drive was dead or dying , and making clicking noises and only showing as logical drive but it was the onboard USB controller that was flaky!
    I did connect it to a Windows tablet (using the USB IDE/SATA converter), but the result was the same. The disk was dead as a Dodo.
      My Computer

  6. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,477
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #16

    News to me. I didn't know that there's a magnet inside a hard disk.:)
    A video of a hard drive, the magnets are called Actuators. And True, they are quite powerful for their size. The drive shown is a 3.5" but the 2.5" drives for Notebooks are similar.
    YouTube
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 180
    Windows 10 Pro v.20H2 OS Build 19041.662
    Thread Starter
       #17

    It was interesting to see that there is also a debris filter. I always thought that the drives were so tightly sealed that nothing could get inside them.
      My Computer

  8. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,278
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #18

    This happened to me recently but I did knock the drive whilst it was running - fortunately I backup to two drives.
      My Computers

  9. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,836
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #19

    It was interesting to see that there is also a debris filter. I always thought that the drives were so tightly sealed that nothing could get inside them.
    Should the heads hit the platters, there could be debris, plus I suppose wear and tear..

    Also:

    What is the purpose of the holes marked "Do Not Cover" on hard drives? - Super User
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums