Possible HDD problem


  1. Posts : 135
    W10 Pro 1909 18363.476
       #1

    Possible HDD problem


    Just had a scare...
    A L W A Y S B A C K U P

    I have a bunch of HDs in this box. I have a client HD that is a Seagate®NAS HDDST3000VN000

    I was working on it and it disappeared. dskmgr said it had failed. reactivate did nothing. panic.
    I took off the connectors, reconnected and it came back. Immediately started copying to an intel SSD (Older drive, NOT the OS drive)
    This was the behavior:
    It would ramp up to a decent speed 30MB/s and my PC was fine. Then it would ramp down to 0kb/S and the pc would start running slowly, really lagging. Click and wait.
    Repeat. Finally it finished copying the critical data. the 80 was full so I started copying to another (new) SSD I have.
    I assumed that the drive was dieing because it kept going down to 0kb/s but it just copied 30 gigs of data to the SSD with a consistent speed (130MB/s) and the PC did not lag at all.

    I don't know if I need support or not but what is going on here? Has anyone ever experienced this kind of behavior?
    I will run chkdsk and a seagate disk checker but I will replace the disks (I have 2 identical drives). they are cheap enough.

    W10 Pro 1909 18363.476
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,899
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 22H2
       #2

    First, when copying large files the transfer speeds may (will) fluctuate up and down. And depending on file and size may actually drop to zero for a second. Normal behavior as I've moved lots of data between all types of drives HDD to HDD, SSD to HDD, HDD to SSD, external to internal drives, and vice versa.

    That out the way... if you think the drive is in danger of dying move the data off the drive first, than test by right clicking the drive, choosing properties, and clicking the tools tab and hitting "check". This will scan the drive for errors.

    There are more in-depth way as well but start with the simple.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 135
    W10 Pro 1909 18363.476
    Thread Starter
       #3

    sygnus21 said:
    First, when copying large files the transfer speeds may (will) fluctuate up and down. And depending on file and size may actually drop to zero for a second. Normal behavior as I've moved lots of data between all types of drives HDD to HDD, SSD to HDD, HDD to SSD, external to internal drives, and vice versa.

    That out the way... if you think the drive is in danger of dying move the data off the drive first, than test by right clicking the drive, choosing properties, and clicking the tools tab and hitting "check". This will scan the drive for errors.

    There are more in-depth way as well but start with the simple.
    Not disagreeing with you but there were zero fluctuations with the newer SSD

    OK, stopping work and running a chkdsk f/r/x while I go do something else.

    I can't think of any good reason to keep this drive. It's relatively old. Hmm....maybe I will mirror it with it's twin again.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,171
    windows 10
       #4

    It copies to cache when that's full you get the slow down to to makers site they will have test software specific for their drive check disk is more concerned with file structure not disk health
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,899
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 22H2
       #5

    ChrisPbass said:
    Not disagreeing with you but there were zero fluctuations with the newer SSD
    I'm not telling what I heard, I'm telling you what I've experienced myself. It happens, especially with large transfers of various files sizes - I transferred over 500gig of compressed backup files from my 1TB Samsung 860EVO SSD drive to my NAS drive with 4 HDD drives in a RAID 10 configuration. YES.... fluctuations can drop to zero and pick back up.

    Regardless, I didn't say you don't have an issue; I said the fluctuations you describes can happen without need of anything being wrong.

    Peace:)
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 14,141
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint
       #6

    sygnus21 said:
    I'm not telling what I heard, I'm telling you what I've experienced myself. It happens, especially with large transfers of various files sizes - I transferred over 500gig of compressed backup files from my 1TB Samsung 860EVO SSD drive to my NAS drive with 4 HDD drives in a RAID 10 configuration. YES.... fluctuations can drop to zero and pick back up.

    Regardless, I didn't say you don't have an issue; I said the fluctuations you describes can happen without need of anything being wrong.

    Peace:)
    I've seen the same with USB and NAS drives, just learned to be patient when working with large files.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5,899
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 22H2
       #7

    Berton said:
    I've seen the same with USB and NAS drives, just learned to be patient when working with large files.
    Exactly!
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 135
    W10 Pro 1909 18363.476
    Thread Starter
       #8

    sygnus21 said:
    I'm not telling what I heard, I'm telling you what I've experienced myself. It happens, especially with large transfers of various files sizes - I transferred over 500gig of compressed backup files from my 1TB Samsung 860EVO SSD drive to my NAS drive with 4 HDD drives in a RAID 10 configuration. YES.... fluctuations can drop to zero and pick back up.

    Regardless, I didn't say you don't have an issue; I said the fluctuations you describes can happen without need of anything being wrong.

    Peace:)
    Peace!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums