Installing Windows on part of SSD


  1. Posts : 27
    Windows 10 Pro, 1709
       #1

    Installing Windows on part of SSD


    Is it true that even when I install Windows on a one of four partitions of a new SSD, the wear-leveling algorithm found originally on the SSD, will spread the usage and data across the entire SSD and won't limit it just to the installation partition ??
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,369
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    Yes, that is true.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 27
    Windows 10 Pro, 1709
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    Yes, that is true.
    Thanks for replying. So in that case, suppose I install windows which occupies just 20% of the entire space of SSD, and the remaining 80% I keep empty, will the SSD last theoretically considerably longer as the wear-leveling algorithm distributes the data evenly across the SSD and alters the bits locations each time data is saved ??
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,369
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    newu873 said:
    Thanks for replying. So in that case, suppose I install windows which occupies just 20% of the entire space of SSD, and the remaining 80% I keep empty, will the SSD last theoretically considerably longer as the wear-leveling algorithm distributes the data evenly across the SSD and alters the bits locations each time data is saved ??
    Yes. In general the less capacity of the SSD that is actually used, the longer it will last. The general rule of thumb is to keep 20% free. People used to only allocate 80% of the SSD to partitions and leave 20% unallocated for over provisioning, but that isn't really required.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums