Games for Windows disc gets ejected when attempting to load it


  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       #1

    Games for Windows disc gets ejected when attempting to load it


    So apparently, there was a Games for Windows disc that I got, but when I try to open the drive, the disc gets ejected and a message appears as if there was none. Can someone please help?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 913
    Win 10
       #2

    thisgamerguy said:
    So apparently, there was a Games for Windows disc that I got, but when I try to open the drive, the disc gets ejected and a message appears as if there was none. Can someone please help?
    That in most cases means the drive can not read the disk and is bad. Will it read any other disks at all.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Porthos said:
    That in most cases means the drive can not read the disk and is bad. Will it read any other disks at all.
    I used that same disc on another computer, and it worked perfectly, but I don't know what happened on this one. That computer had a built-in drive, but I had a drive that I could plug into my laptop. The plug-in drive just ejected the disc when I opened it.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,699
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    The drive is bad not the disc.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,829
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #5

    thisgamerguy said:
    So apparently, there was a Games for Windows disc that I got, but when I try to open the drive, the disc gets ejected and a message appears as if there was none. Can someone please help?

    Besides the possibility of the disk being bad, Games For Windows Live (GFWL) is no longer supported by Microsoft as it was basically a relic of Windows Vista. As such getting it to work, let alone, install on Windows 10 (I assume you're talking about Windows 10) has always been a chore.

    There are some hacks to get GFWL games working but it's been a while since I tried so I've forgot some things; however you can check this article for Windows 10 help - How to Make “Games for Windows LIVE” Games Playable on Windows 10

    You might also check out my guide here - How to get Halo 2 working under Windows 7. It was for Windows 7, but it might give you some insight into getting GFWL games working outside of Vista.

    BTW what game are you trying to install?

    @bro67, how'd you come to the conclusion the drive is bad when there are so many other possibilities???
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 8,699
    Mac OS Catalina
       #6

    The OP stated that the disc worked in another computer but got ejected by that Portable Drive. They stated that they did not use the built in drive on the laptop, just a portable one they had. You use six steps of troubleshooting when seeing these types of questions come up.

    A lot of the old software is available on internetarchive.org. Even though the GFWL is not supported, it should still run.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    OK, so, the drive accepts other discs, but that one is just a no-no.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 8,699
    Mac OS Catalina
       #8

    Possible bad disc. Why is the built in drive for the laptop not being used?

    https://www.howtogeek.com/245780/how-to-make-games-for-windows-live-games-playable-on-windows-10/

    See this regarding xbox live now takes the place of GFWL. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/games-for-windows-live-info
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5,829
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #9

    bro67 said:
    The OP stated that the disc worked in another computer but got ejected by that Portable Drive. They stated that they did not use the built in drive on the laptop, just a portable one they had.

    You use six steps of troubleshooting when seeing these types of questions come up.

    One should never jump to conclusions when troubleshooting. Bad things happen. And as we see, it's not the drive.

    thisgamerguy said:
    OK, so, the drive accepts other discs, but that one is just a no-no.


    bro67 said:
    Possible bad disc. Why is the built in drive for the laptop not being used?

    How to Make “Games for Windows LIVE” Games Playable on Windows 10

    Agree with the possibility of a bad disk, but could also be a GFWL issue. BTW that's the same article I linked...

    sygnus21 said:
    There are some hacks to get GFWL games working but it's been a while since I tried so I've forgot some things; however you can check this article for Windows 10 help - How to Make “Games for Windows LIVE” Games Playable on Windows 10
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    There is no built-in drive.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums