1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       07 Aug 2015 #1

    Sound Volume Icon


    The sound icon is missing from the taskbar....how do you get it back?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 86
    Windows 10 Pro
       07 Aug 2015 #2

    Are your sound drivers properly installed. you can go to the properties of file explorer, then device manager to sure you have no red X's due to unknown hardware.

    Do you have a default device set to audio out?

    If you get sound, then go to Settings, System, notifications & Actions then click on Turn system icons on or off. If volume is off, turn it on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 3
    win 10
       16 Aug 2015 #3

    volume icon missing


    I tried those fixes, but the on/off button for the battery and volume are grayed out and can not be changed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       18 Aug 2015 #4

    clomas said: View Post
    I tried those fixes, but the on/off button for the battery and volume are grayed out and can not be changed.
    There is at least one other thread about this. I, too, had my volume icon just vanish one fine day. A reboot brought it right back, and it hasn't happened again since.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       24 Aug 2015 #5

    patjabo said: View Post
    The sound icon is missing from the taskbar....how do you get it back?
    It seems as though the next time I updated my system...the icon is back on the task bar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 1
    windows 10
       11 Mar 2016 #6

    patjabo said: View Post
    It seems as though the next time I updated my system...the icon is back on the task bar.
    Seems like every time Win 10 is updated, something which was working fine suddenly stops. Last time it was the Start button, this time it's the sound button. I'm thinking, if every time I took my car for service, something stopped working, I would be entitled to think the garage was incompetent. Is it really beyond the ability of these massively over paid and educated MS clowns to ensure that updates are exactly that, instead of destructive rubbish?
    I don't want to, nor shouldn't need to do a reboot, or a system restore after every update, just so MS can continue with their project of world domination by incompetent employees who care nothing for customer satisfaction. Personally, I don't want to alter settings so that the sound is on all the time. There are times when I don't want sound, but I want to be able to click the icon and adjust as required. I want the sound level high for Skype calls and low for games background music etc. It's not as if we are asking for instant transportation or the ability to fly. Just stop ruining our internet experience every time you decide we need a security update! I have to wonder how some MS employees manage to get dressed in the mornings, without assistance. Maybe they don't. Fix it or junk it .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro
       26 Apr 2016 #7

    richard ferries said: View Post
    Seems like every time Win 10 is updated, something which was working fine suddenly stops. Last time it was the Start button, this time it's the sound button. I'm thinking, if every time I took my car for service, something stopped working, I would be entitled to think the garage was incompetent. Is it really beyond the ability of these massively over paid and educated MS clowns to ensure that updates are exactly that, instead of destructive rubbish?
    I don't want to, nor shouldn't need to do a reboot, or a system restore after every update, just so MS can continue with their project of world domination by incompetent employees who care nothing for customer satisfaction. Personally, I don't want to alter settings so that the sound is on all the time. There are times when I don't want sound, but I want to be able to click the icon and adjust as required. I want the sound level high for Skype calls and low for games background music etc. It's not as if we are asking for instant transportation or the ability to fly. Just stop ruining our internet experience every time you decide we need a security update! I have to wonder how some MS employees manage to get dressed in the mornings, without assistance. Maybe they don't. Fix it or junk it .
    Richard - You Junk It... M$ works in its own little make-believe world and this board makes it work in real life... Your biggest problem is with your Games... They have never (video drivers) been written correctly for any desktop mobo except as tested and listed (no one would attempt to play anything seriously on a laptop - ping-pong being the exception)... Get a games-console for little boys, a satellite phone for your communications (since when was Skype written without errors...) and would you really dress yourself if you could be surrounded by young, beautiful, exotic women assigned to do the task for you?!? Instant transportation and the ability to fly is just a b***h-slap away from one of those lovely domestic maidens ... I hope this addresses your concerns in a fashionable manner and the board monitor does not deem my previous reference to a slap-in-the-face as grounds for membership expulsion... PS. I came upon this post because my sound icon is missing from time to time in my system tray too... I believe the problem might have been answered here: Volume Icon not appearing in taskbar
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    kcomp1863
       20 Jun 2016 #8

    richard ferries said: View Post
    Seems like every time Win 10 is updated, something which was working fine suddenly stops. Last time it was the Start button, this time it's the sound button. I'm thinking, if every time I took my car for service, something stopped working, I would be entitled to think the garage was incompetent. Is it really beyond the ability of these massively over paid and educated MS clowns to ensure that updates are exactly that, instead of destructive rubbish?
    I don't want to, nor shouldn't need to do a reboot, or a system restore after every update, just so MS can continue with their project of world domination by incompetent employees who care nothing for customer satisfaction. Personally, I don't want to alter settings so that the sound is on all the time. There are times when I don't want sound, but I want to be able to click the icon and adjust as required. I want the sound level high for Skype calls and low for games background music etc. It's not as if we are asking for instant transportation or the ability to fly. Just stop ruining our internet experience every time you decide we need a security update! I have to wonder how some MS employees manage to get dressed in the mornings, without assistance. Maybe they don't. Fix it or junk it .

    I second this notion, wholeheartedly! Every single time Microsoft does a Windows 10 update, they screw up my settings and I have to go back and reset a couple of tweaks that I use. WHY, in the name of GOD, do they feel it necessary to enforce THEIR will on us, I'll never know. What a bunch of overpaid control freaks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Low sound volume
Since going from Win8 to Win10 tech preview I have had to increase my volume a lot more than before to hear anything. Has anyone else had sound volume issues with Win10? thanks
Drivers and Hardware
Sound Issue in Windows 10 with Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Hello -- After I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 Pro, there was no sound. Obviously, Creative Labs has yet to release compatible drivers for many of their sound cards. Nevertheless, I found out that I'd make it work by changing its modes back and...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Does anyone know what this icon means? [Different Notification icon]
Today when i opened my laptop, the ''Notifications'' icon was little different. Does anyone know what that means and how i can bring it back to normal? EDIT: Problem solved. It was the ''Quiet hour'' icon little bug thingy, and fixed it by...
General Support
W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized
When I first went from W8.1 to W10, everything worked except the sound. Now after several updates, the icon speaker in task bar has an x by it, and when I hover mouse over icon the message states that "no audio output device is installed." When I...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums