Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    windows 7
       06 Aug 2015 #1

    Error regarding RTKVAC.SYS


    Just updated to w10 from 8.1 (on my spare computer) and it keeps going to the Blue Screen of Death saying......
    " Kmode Exception Not Handling RTKVAC.SYS" and reboots. This happens about every four minuets or so.
    I have tried lots of fixes that I found on the net but nothing has fixed it yet.
    That file is to do with the Sound section and in Device Manager the Audio was not installed correctly with the yellow flag. After going into Safe Mode I disabled it and then did an update of the driver. Then went back to normal mode (still left it disabled)...bang it went to the BSD yet again so nothing fixed there, even with it disabled.
    It is driving me mad and if I restore it back to w8.1 will I get the option to update to 10 again?
    Did a registry fix and cleared all that out. Ran a driver update program I have, no audio came up.
    Usually if the audio isn't going on other windows os it doesn't do this BSD business. All too much really, they are not making it easy to fix that I can see.
    As I said at least it is not this main computer so experimenting is not a worry.
    Can anyone suggest a fix? Would appreciate that.
    KG
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    windows 7
       06 Aug 2015 #2

    kaygill said: View Post
    Just updated to w10 from 8.1 (on my spare computer) and it keeps going to the Blue Screen of Death saying......
    " Kmode Exception Not Handling RTKVAC.SYS" and reboots. This happens about every four minuets or so.
    I have tried lots of fixes that I found on the net but nothing has fixed it yet.
    That file is to do with the Sound section and in Device Manager the Audio was not installed correctly with the yellow flag. After going into Safe Mode I disabled it and then did an update of the driver. Then went back to normal mode (still left it disabled)...bang it went to the BSD yet again so nothing fixed there, even with it disabled.
    It is driving me mad and if I restore it back to w8.1 will I get the option to update to 10 again?
    Did a registry fix and cleared all that out. Ran a driver update program I have, no audio came up.
    Usually if the audio isn't going on other windows os it doesn't do this BSD business. All too much really, they are not making it easy to fix that I can see.
    As I said at least it is not this main computer so experimenting is not a worry.
    Can anyone suggest a fix? Would appreciate that.
    KG

    Just found this post which is probably the answer
    Realtek AC97 drivers bluescreen immediately with Win10 32 build - Microsoft Community
    KG
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       04 Nov 2015 #3

    Found a solution! You won't believe it! Since the latest official Vista drivers don't work, I searched for alternative drivers. I found these drivers for AOpen 1558-JLV which apparently is a Realtek AC'97 clone. I booted in Safe Mode and loaded Device Manager. Then I manually browsed to the folder were I extracted the drivers and installed them. When booting back in normal mode, I had sound and no BSOD! And the funniest thing is that this driver is an old version of the Windows XP driver by Realtek! Probably latest official Realtek driver for Windows XP will work as well, but I wouldn't dare to try it once I got it to work!

    Strange! The Vista driver gives a BSOD and the XP driver works! Whatever!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       05 Nov 2015 #4

    UPDATE: Today I ran Windows Update which among others it found "new" drivers for Realtek AC'97 and attempted to install them. I got a BSOD and had to go to Safe Mode and manually replace them. I tried the latest official Windows XP drivers from Realtek, they also gave a BSOD pointing to a different DLL file! I entered Safe Mode once again and manually replaced them with the AOpen 1558-JLV drivers. This time worked!

    So anyone having a Realtek AC'97 audio card, avoid both Vista and Windows XP official driver. Install the AOpen drivers instead. They do work!

    I start to believe this is done on purpose from Realtek or Microsoft to force us upgrade our systems! My answer on that is
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    windows 7
       09 Nov 2015 #5

    spapakons said: View Post
    Found a solution! You won't believe it! Since the latest official Vista drivers don't work, I searched for alternative drivers. I found these drivers for AOpen 1558-JLV which apparently is a Realtek AC'97 clone. I booted in Safe Mode and loaded Device Manager. Then I manually browsed to the folder were I extracted the drivers and installed them. When booting back in normal mode, I had sound and no BSOD! And the funniest thing is that this driver is an old version of the Windows XP driver by Realtek! Probably latest official Realtek driver for Windows XP will work as well, but I wouldn't dare to try it once I got it to work!

    Strange! The Vista driver gives a BSOD and the XP driver works! Whatever!

    before installing these new drivers would I have to turn the audio back on in the Bios?
    If I do that the computer will just lockup again. Can I load these new drivers first and then turn the audio back on in the Bios?
    You say...Safe Mode.... If I load into that mode after turning the audio back o in the bios will it not lockup? I have a funny idea it still does so will be difficult to install these new drivers.
    What would you suggest? TNX
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       09 Nov 2015 #6

    Enable audio in BIOS so Windows can detect it. Then enter Safe Mode where no audio driver is used (so it doesn't give the BSOD). The device is listed in Device Manager, so you can manually install the AOpen driver. Then restart and you will have sound without any BSOD. This is until Windows Update tries to replace the driver with a "new" one. That's why you must hide the relevant update, to exclude it. The AOpen driver is an older/modified Realtek AC'97 driver for Windows XP that uses different DLL files that do not give a BSOD like the latest official Windows XP version. The card will still read Realtek audio and will have all the features (inputs, outputs, levels) as with the official driver. There is no compromise, don't worry and quality is great.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    windows 7
       09 Nov 2015 #7

    spapakons said: View Post
    Enable audio in BIOS so Windows can detect it. Then enter Safe Mode where no audio driver is used (so it doesn't give the BSOD). The device is listed in Device Manager, so you can manually install the AOpen driver. Then restart and you will have sound without any BSOD. This is until Windows Update tries to replace the driver with a "new" one. That's why you must hide the relevant update, to exclude it. The AOpen driver is an older/modified Realtek AC'97 driver for Windows XP that uses different DLL files that do not give a BSOD like the latest official Windows XP version. The card will still read Realtek audio and will have all the features (inputs, outputs, levels) as with the official driver. There is no compromise, don't worry and quality is great.
    Did that, and got into safe mode ok and tried to install the software you recommended but nothing appeared in device manager.
    Only shows as "multimedia audio controller which will not update. I then did a w10 update and the realteck audio drivers appeared. I let them install and "bang" it locked up again. This time on a re boot it didn't lockup but still no audio detected.
    Those AOpen ones don't install on this computer.
    Quite strange, at the moment anyway, with the onboard sound enabled it doesn't lock up, but no sound available.
    Just an odd ball M'Bd I seem to have here
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       09 Nov 2015 #8

    While in Safe Mode, and Device Manager, right-click on the multimedia audio controller and select Update drivers. Then select the LAST option, then again the LAST option. You should now see a Have disk button. Click on that and browse to the folder where you extracted the AOpen driver. You will see several Realtek audio models on the list. Select the first and continue. When installation is complete you should see a message that the device was installed successfully. Restart your computer normally to see that you have sound. Then run the utility to hide the relevant updates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    windows 7
       09 Nov 2015 #9

    spapakons said: View Post
    While in Safe Mode, and Device Manager, right-click on the multimedia audio controller and select Update drivers. Then select the LAST option, then again the LAST option. You should now see a Have disk button. Click on that and browse to the folder where you extracted the AOpen driver. You will see several Realtek audio models on the list. Select the first and continue. When installation is complete you should see a message that the device was installed successfully. Restart your computer normally to see that you have sound. Then run the utility to hide the relevant updates.
    Thanks for all your help but not having any luck with any.
    Still says no audio installed and still just "Multimedia Audio Controller" with the yellow tick showing in Device manager.
    ran that "diver downloader" package and it didn't even find that I had no audio installed. Wouldn't want to pay for that program!!
    Checked the "services.msc" and the windows audio is "running" and on "automatic"
    At least as I said it now doesn't lockup any more, so that's an improvement. I have been using a small plugin usb sound card that works just fine and I would imagine a M/Bd plugin sound card would also be the answer.
    TNK again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (AE build 14393.693)
       10 Nov 2015 #10

    Are you sure you have a Realtek AC'97 card? It could be some other model. Realtek drivers often install in other models, but either do not work or produce no sound. To find out use Aida64, go to Devices-> Windows Devices and click on your card. No need to register, the trial version should be fine.

    Yes, if you buy a PCI or PCI-E audio card it will work, but the point is to avoid buying another card.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cannot run any files, get error File System Error (-1073741819)
So I just updated to ten, and have all the updates, but whenever I try to run a .exe file, it gives me the error File System Error (-1073741819)
General Support
Windows Mail sync error - Error 0x80072726
Hi, Since upgrading from windows 8.1 to 10 I am unable to sync any of my email addresses with Windows mail. Every time I click sync, it tries and after a while returns an error code: 0x80072726. I have tried deleting the accounts and recreating...
Browsers and Email
Upgrade from 7: Update Error Code 80200053, & MediaCreationTool error
http://puu.sh/jj8wQ/4cad6d8add.png I have tried what I believe to be everything at this point. Clearing out the update download folder and retrying the update does not help whatsoever. Forcing the update through a command prompt just gets the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Error on shutdown concerning explore.exe Application Error
Upon every shutdown I get the following error message: The title bar states: I am running Windows 10 Build 10130. I have already tried the default troubleshooting procedures(clean boot, etc.) I attached an image of the error below: ...
General Support
Solved File explorer Error Its OK my error
Error -- looking in wrong directory cheers jimbo
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums