Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter


    Start button > Power button > Restart = drive letter vanishes.

    BUT

    Start button > Power button > Shut down > PC power up = drive letter functions normally.

    Dell XPS 8500
    Processor Intel i7-3770
    RAM 32GB

    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1903
    Installed on 6/9/2019
    OS build 18362.145

    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
    AHCI Mode Activated
    TRIM Status Enabled
    RAPID Mode On

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd drive letter.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	236931

    - - - Updated - - -

    This is what happens after a Restart. All programs that use the SSD become nonfunctional!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd drive letter after Restart.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	237010

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd drive letter disk management after Restart.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	237011
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 1,254
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1903
       #2

    I would turn fast boot off (there are a host of folks right here who have had problems with it).
    reboot
    Check to see if the drive shows up in Bios.
    Run check disk on the drive and check smart status. (even new drives fail)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    thomaseg1 said: View Post
    I would turn fast boot off (there are a host of folks right here who have had problems with it).
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

    I turned off fast boot (aka Fast Startup) and that made the problem worse. S: drive vanished from both Restart and PC power up. I turned Fast Startup back on. Even though your suggestion didn't solve the problem it did at least provide a clue as to the cause. Hopefully a Windows 10 boot expert will read this and come up with a solution. Thanks for your reply.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Been waiting 3 weeks and still no solution. SSD drive continues to disappear on Restart. Can somebody recommend a Microsoft support forum that has experts who could solve this problem?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Megahertz's Avatar
    Posts : 278
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    Fast Boot is a mix of hibernation and fresh boot. It has a lot of issues. To start, turn it of on BIOS (If there is a Fast Boot option).
    Then check if it is off under Windows (Brink tutorial)
    After you initialize the SSD (create a partition and format), every time you shut down the computer it shows as not initialized?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Megahertz said: View Post
    Fast Boot is a mix of hibernation and fresh boot. It has a lot of issues. To start, turn it of on BIOS (If there is a Fast Boot option).
    Then check if it is off under Windows (Brink tutorial)
    After you initialize the SSD (create a partition and format), every time you shut down the computer it shows as not initialized?
    The BIOS doesn't have a Fast Boot option. See picture below.

    There is nothing wrong with my SSD. So it would be rather stupid to initialize it and lose 9380 files (224GB) of user data. The only time it shows as not initialized is after a Windows 10 Start button > Power button > Restart. That is the problem I'm trying to solve.

    Can you recommend a Microsoft support forum that has experts who could solve this problem?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd drive letter BIOS.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	239790
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 6,467
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.14.3 Beta (18D21c)
       #7

    Rekees said: View Post
    The BIOS doesn't have a Fast Boot option. See picture below.

    There is nothing wrong with my SSD. So it would be rather stupid to initialize it and lose 9380 files (224GB) of user data. The only time it shows as not initialized is after a Windows 10 Start button > Power button > Restart. That is the problem I'm trying to solve.

    Can you recommend a Microsoft support forum that has experts who could solve this problem?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd drive letter BIOS.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	239790
    You are in the best forum for Peer to Peer. The missing hard drive letters is a bug in 1903 that was stated by MS in the beginning.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    You seem to have the opposite problem to most! As I'm sure you know, Start>Power>Restart bypasses Fast Startup, which uses some partial hibernation. Itseems that your SSD is only visible after a fast restart, never (?) from a full cold boot. That suggests that the drive is not recognised from cold, but something happens subsequent to boot (maybe during the fast start reboot process) which makes it visible on the next (fast) start.

    Do you have an 'HDD delay' option in the BIOS? I know that sounds odd, as it was (I think) designed to cope with slow devices (eg CD etc), and SSD's ought to be fast, but who knows? I feel I have read about your issue before, but don't know where.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #9

    bro67 said: View Post
    You are in the best forum for Peer to Peer. The missing hard drive letters is a bug in 1903 that was stated by MS in the beginning.
    If the bug was stated by MS then is there a way to research it and determine its status? Is there a bug and/or update number like KBxxxxx? What does "in the beginning" mean?

    - - - Updated - - -

    mngerhold said: View Post
    You seem to have the opposite problem to most! As I'm sure you know, Start>Power>Restart bypasses Fast Startup, which uses some partial hibernation. Itseems that your SSD is only visible after a fast restart, never (?) from a full cold boot. That suggests that the drive is not recognised from cold, but something happens subsequent to boot (maybe during the fast start reboot process) which makes it visible on the next (fast) start.

    Do you have an 'HDD delay' option in the BIOS? I know that sounds odd, as it was (I think) designed to cope with slow devices (eg CD etc), and SSD's ought to be fast, but who knows? I feel I have read about your issue before, but don't know where.
    BIOS doesn't have a "HDD delay" option.

    Shut down + Fast Startup On = SSD found
    Shut down + Fast Startup Off = SSD missing
    Restart + Fast Startup On = SSD missing
    Restart + Fast Startup Off = SSD missing
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    It seems likely that you will have to initialise the disk - but not yet! Boot it up via Fast startup and backup the data elsewhere, then initialise. If its MBR it may be possible to fix that (via command line or utilities), if GPT I think not (from my limited reading).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been...
Hardware & Drivers Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Remove a Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the alphabet from A to Z to assign...
When I shutdown or restart I get the pop-up about a task preventing shutdown but afaik there are no tasks active. What is even more puzzling is that the task name shown is "G" which just happens to be the drive letter of my DVD R/W Any ideas? ...
Hardware & Drivers Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the alphabet from A to Z to...
Solved Windows 10 has changed my Drive letter in Installation and Upgrade
I have just upgraded to Windows 10 Home using the Tutorials and a flash drive boot. All seems to have gone well and Windows installed in my 120Gig SSD Drive C. However, I see my 1T HDD Drive E (which I disconnected before installing Windows...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:02.
Find Us