Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #11

    mngerhold said:
    It seems likely that you will have to initialise the disk - but not yet! Boot it up via Fast startup and backup the data elsewhere, then initialise. If its MBR it may be possible to fix that (via command line or utilities), if GPT I think not (from my limited reading).
    What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

    The SSD is already GPT, don't see any benefit from spending hours backing up/initializing/restoring and risking data loss to fix an apparent Windows 10 bug. Ran CHKDSK and it didn't find any problems with the SSD. Also been using the SSD daily for several years without a single problem. So like I said in post #6 "it would be rather stupid to initialize it".
      My Computer

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #12

    Try this and check wiring for the drive. You may have to pull it and use an external case to see if the drive is bad. This was all over the web before 1903 was released. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...for-windows-10 Open Powershell and run Get-WmiObject win32_diskdrive|Select-Object Status
    Fixed: Hard Drives Missing After Windows 10 Update - EaseUS
    Last edited by bro67; 11 Jul 2019 at 13:54.
      My Computers

  3. mngerhold's Avatar
    Posts : 192
    W10-1909
       #13

    Rekees said:
    The SSD is already GPT, don't see any benefit from spending hours backing up/initializing/restoring and risking data loss to fix an apparent Windows 10 bug.
    Well, if you are happy with the current behaviour... for myself, I wouldn't wait for MS to fix what may be a bug, but may be just a glitch in your particular setup. Do you not have a backup already?
      My Computer

  4. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #14

    Read again. It involves certain SSD’s. Go through the steps to change out the SATA cable, run the disk health in Powershell and the steps in the MS link.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #15

    bro67 said:
    Try this and check wiring for the drive. You may have to pull it and use an external case to see if the drive is bad. This was all over the web before 1903 was released. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...for-windows-10 Open Powershell and run Get-WmiObject win32_diskdrive|Select-Object Status
    That link refers to a problem with a USB device. My SSD is internal and attached via SATA. Don't understand relevance of the link. IMO the SSD drive is not bad. What is bad is Windows 10.

    - - - Updated - - -

    mngerhold said:
    Well, if you are happy with the current behaviour... for myself, I wouldn't wait for MS to fix what may be a bug, but may be just a glitch in your particular setup. Do you not have a backup already?
    I'm not happy with current behavior but guess I'm going to have to live with it? Have spent too many hours on this problem, enough is enough. Maybe the real solution is called Linux?

    Thanks to everyone who tried to help. END OF THREAD!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 984
    X
       #16

    Sorry for your troubles, Rekees. There are some experts on 10 forums, but they've not participated in this thread. Seek them out in other threads.
      My Computer



 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums