Idk what I'm doing with Test Disk. 256GB to 400MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Idk what I'm doing with Test Disk. 256GB to 400MB


    Hello all,

    A couple days ago, my laptop suddenly decided to stop working normally. Every time I would try to turn it on, it will go through automatic repair. I'm not sure why. I've exhausted the options I had available which led me to Task Disk. I want to recover everything that I possible can on the drive. *Note: I have zero experience in working with computers.* I did something with the software and now my 256 gb m.2 ssd now registers at 500. I checked disk management and it shows ~238 gb as "unallocated."

    I don't know what to do anymore. I'm desperate and I just want the data from the drive. I don't have access to a pc that has a m.2 slot at the moment, but I plan on buying an enclosure so I can hook it up to my current pc for troubleshooting. Please, any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    Welcome to the forum can you post a screenshot from disk manager showing all the details so we can see
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    Samuria said: View Post
    Welcome to the forum can you post a screenshot from disk manager showing all the details so we can see
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	231414
    This is where I'm currently at after Analyze. I'm not sure where to go from here. As you can see, the drive is 256 GB. Where as in this next picture, it registers as 400 MB:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	231415
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 258
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    Could do with a screen grab of your Computer Management window showing the physical drives connected? :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    kingtez1984 said: View Post
    Could do with a screen grab of your Computer Management window showing the physical drives connected? :)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	231540

    Let me know if you need any more screenshots.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    Do I understand correctly that Disk 1 used to be have data on it and was all partition D, but you accidentally did something that turned most of Disk 1 into "unallocated space"?

    If that's incorrect, please re-explain.

    If that's what has happened, I'd guess you'd need to try to recover that partition as it was before your mistake. Minitool Partition Wizard is the likely tool, but I've never used it for that purpose.

    Hope that Jumanji sees your post. Perhaps others have more detail as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    #7

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    Do I understand correctly that Disk 1 used to be have data on it and was all partition D, but you accidentally did something that turned most of Disk 1 into "unallocated space"?

    If that's incorrect, please re-explain.

    If that's what has happened, I'd guess you'd need to try to recover that partition as it was before your mistake. Minitool Partition Wizard is the likely tool, but I've never used it for that purpose.

    Hope that Jumanji sees your post. Perhaps others have more detail as well.
    Yes, that is correct. However, I may have miss pressed some buttons on the first screen shot. Here are my updated screenshots from the start of Test Disk:

    After selecting drive
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	231657

    After quick search
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	231658

    I'm unfamiliar with Test Disk and partitions already.. Do you have any references that I can look into?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    I'm aware of Test Disk, but not familiar with how to use it.

    You may not be getting good response to this thread because of your title re "Task Disk".

    A moderator may want to move this thread to another section?

    Jumanji is the member with the most experience in partition recovery, but others may be able to help.

    I wouldn't go further without guidance. Don't write anything to that disk. Any further mistakes may ruin your recovery possibilities.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 11,903
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #9

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    I'm aware of Test Disk, but not familiar with how to use it.

    You may not be getting good response to this thread because of your title re "Task Disk".

    A moderator may want to move this thread to another section?

    Jumanji is the member with the most experience in partition recovery, but others may be able to help.

    I wouldn't go further without guidance. Don't write anything to that disk. Any further mistakes may ruin your recovery possibilities.
    Thread title changed to read Test Disk and thread moved to Drivers and Hardware

    As ignatzatsonic stated, @jumanji is the resident expert on data recovery. Hopefully he will be able to help.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. jumanji's Avatar
    Posts : 978
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
       #10

    @ignatzatsonic , @essenbe Thanks for the call. I am in and since the OP will be sleeping now, it gives me enough time to compose my next post. Will return shortly (before the OP wakes up) with further questions and instructions . I keep learning something new with every data recovery attempt - my strength and weakness .

    @secretlyblue, when you wake up you will hear some sermon - informal: a long or tedious piece of admonition or reproof, a lecture - a volley of questions and instructions to further prepare you for a long haul - may be a short haul also , I can't say now.. Let us see.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello all, i followed zbook and freebooter guides in this superb forum but still i haven't found a solution In my desktop pc with win 10 enterprise, after having found 2 threats with malwarebytes, the software asked me to reboot, i did and...
Hello. I read this tread becouse beginning is that same but it doesn't work for me Windows can not start after update, here is SrtTrail.txt Solved - Windows 10 Forums First issues at step 4 and 6 181212 I choose Yes and no problem has...
I'm getting my first new notebook computer in 7 years. I have been told that the OS will come installed on the faster SSD drive. I want to install fresh copy of win 10 on to the 500GB HD just in case the SSD should crap out or just to use for...
Okay, so Lately I've had crazy boot and load times, and what appeared to be disk issues (usage was 100%, read/write was little-to-none). Disabled a few things in services.msc (superfetch and windows search), which fixed the 100% constant usage. ...
Hi, Today i got two BSOD no where out of blue, my laptop was running well without any problem earlier before this issue. Then i did PC doctor test first it said advance pattern test failed, then i ram memtest86 and it showed nothing, no errors then...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09.
Find Us