Problem with HDD partition in Windows 10

  1.    #1

    Problem with HDD partition in Windows 10


    Hi All
    Would greatly appreciate some advice concerning the way my 1Tb drive has been partitioned on my Dell Inspiron 2350 (running on Intel i7). I apologize in advance about the length of this thread.

    Previously when using Win 7 on my previous laptop and PC, I divided the available 500Gb drive into two roughly equal partitions, the main C drive for Windows itself plus all application programs (Program Files x86) and Drive D for files (ie documents/photos/graphics/music files etc).

    However the IT guy who installed Win 10 on my present PC (it came with Win 8.1 installed) and configured it, allocated only 29.26 Gb to Drive C (Windows 10 and all application software) and the remaining 931.51 to Drive D. What's even more bizarre is that under Disc Management, Drive D (as opposed to C) is allocated as "Primary Partition" and located above Drive C which is described as "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition"

    I tried to allocate more disc space to Drive C by shrinking Drive D to approx 500Gb. This was shown as un-allocated space (possibly a third partition). I then tried to Extend Volume on Drive C but the legend "Extend Volume" is greyed out in the drop down menu on drive C.

    As there are no important files as yet on Drive D, I could delete all , followed by Delete Volume and finally by Delete Partition. Would this work and Drive C automatically gaining all drive space previously allocated to Drive D? If necessary, I could then re-partition the disc to my own preference.

    What am I doing wrong. Someone please help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    Unallocated space is not a partition.

    You likely need to use a third party tool such as Partition Wizard to assign some of the unallocated space to C.

    Disk Management has limitations in some situations, such as yours. Most likely D is sitting between C and the unallocated space. Disk Management no can do in that case.

    After you get C sized right, you can then extend D to use all the remaining unallocated space--with Disk Management or with Partition Wizard.

    MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server


      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    Post a detailed screen shot from disk manager so we can see
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    Partition Problem


    Samuria said: View Post
    Post a detailed screen shot from disk manager so we can see
    Screen shot attached.

    Can I not just first delete all files on drive D (no program files, only documents, photos etc), then "Delete Volume D" under Disk Management and follow by "Delete Partition". Would not all space allocated to Drive D get added to Drive C?

    Not 100% sure if jpg of screen shot has uploaded. First time on MS Forum
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    Msg for ignatzatsonic : Have downloaded Partition Magic. Give it a try tomorrow

    Msg for Samuria : in case screenshot didn't upload, I'll try attaching it again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Partition.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    Effell said: View Post

    Can I not just first delete all files on drive D (no program files, only documents, photos etc), then "Delete Volume D" under Disk Management and follow by "Delete Partition". Would not all space allocated to Drive D get added to Drive C?
    No, at least at first glance.

    You appear to have 2 totally distinct hard drives: 0 and 1.

    You can't move assign space from one to the other without heroics that you'd most likely want to avoid.

    If C and D were part of the same drive, you could reassign---but it appears they are totally separate.

    Exactly what is disk 1?? It appears to be only about 32 GB in size--ridiculously small.

    Is it a hybrid drive of some type?

    Is it an SSD?

    Is it an ordinary hard drive?

    Going from memory--if it is a hybrid drive, it may be that disc 0 and disc 1 are NOT distinct, even though they show up that way in Windows Disk Management. I can't recall the details. If that is true, you MAY be able to reassign space in some way (?), but I don't recall the details other than that hybrid drives are peculiar and to be avoided if possible.

    I recall some lengthy threads on this forum by other people who have hybrids---it lead to a lot of head scratching and consternation due to their being something of an oddity.

    It may be that you can reinstall Windows on D and ignore C entirely.

    Are you in touch with whoever installed Windows?

    Edit: I just looked at the specification sheet for your Dell. It says:

    Storage

    Interface: SATA 6 Gbps
    Hard drive: One 2.5‑inch
    mSATA: One mSATA card

    Hmmmmm........................................
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    #7

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    No, at least at first glance.

    You appear to have 2 totally distinct hard drives: 0 and 1.

    You can't move assign space from one to the other without heroics that you'd most likely want to avoid.

    If C and D were part of the same drive, you could reassign---but it appears they are totally separate.

    Exactly what is disk 1?? It appears to be only about 32 GB in size--ridiculously small.

    Is it a hybrid drive of some type?

    Is it an SSD?

    Is it an ordinary hard drive?

    Going from memory--if it is a hybrid drive, it may be that disc 0 and disc 1 are NOT distinct, even though they show up that way in Windows Disk Management. I can't recall the details. If that is true, you MAY be able to reassign space in some way (?), but I don't recall the details other than that hybrid drives are peculiar and to be avoided if possible.

    I recall some lengthy threads on this forum by other people who have hybrids---it lead to a lot of head scratching and consternation due to their being something of an oddity.

    It may be that you can reinstall Windows on D and ignore C entirely.

    Are you in touch with whoever installed Windows?

    Edit: I just looked at the specification sheet for your Dell. It says:

    Storage

    Interface: SATA 6 Gbps
    Hard drive: One 2.5‑inch
    mSATA: One mSATA card

    Hmmmmm........................................
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Thank you for taking the time and investigating my HDD problem. As regards to number of drives, as yu guessed, there is just the one SATA 1Tb drive on the machine. However I may have a clue as to why it was configured this way.

    I was used to working with Win 7 on my previous machine. Quite frankly, it did all I needed it to do and more and had a good in depth knowledge (as a user) of it's workings. On a PC and given nature of my work, I've little use for using touchscreen, so I asked the IT guy to install Windows 7 as an additional OS which would be the one that suited me best.

    The IT guy implemented this by installing Win 7 on Drive D running it in Oracle VM VirtualBox as you can see in 'Win7' screen capture, and rightly assuming that it's the OS that I'd mainly use, allocated most of the HD space to it. However, as you can see in the second screen capture, Win 7 runs in a box much smaller than the full screen and not really suitable for my work (Photo Editing, Audio etc) as well as being dreadfully slow. So I'm afraid that using Win 7 is a no go.

    Given my limited knowledge, the solution seems to be to uninstall the Oracle VirtualBox and Win 7 along with it. Is there anyway I can do this, for example would it work through the Uninstall procedure in the Control Panel. Reluctant to try in case I render the Win10 OS inoperable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Capture.jpg   Win7.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    No, at least at first glance.

    You appear to have 2 totally distinct hard drives: 0 and 1.

    You can't move assign space from one to the other without heroics that you'd most likely want to avoid.

    If C and D were part of the same drive, you could reassign---but it appears they are totally separate.

    Exactly what is disk 1?? It appears to be only about 32 GB in size--ridiculously small.

    Is it a hybrid drive of some type?

    Is it an SSD?

    Is it an ordinary hard drive?

    Going from memory--if it is a hybrid drive, it may be that disc 0 and disc 1 are NOT distinct, even though they show up that way in Windows Disk Management. I can't recall the details. If that is true, you MAY be able to reassign space in some way (?), but I don't recall the details other than that hybrid drives are peculiar and to be avoided if possible.

    I recall some lengthy threads on this forum by other people who have hybrids---it lead to a lot of head scratching and consternation due to their being something of an oddity.

    It may be that you can reinstall Windows on D and ignore C entirely.

    Are you in touch with whoever installed Windows?

    Edit: I just looked at the specification sheet for your Dell. It says:

    Storage

    Interface: SATA 6 Gbps
    Hard drive: One 2.5‑inch
    mSATA: One mSATA card

    Hmmmmm........................................
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Thank you for taking the time and investigating my HDD problem. As regards to number of drives, as yu guessed, there is just the one SATA 1Tb drive on the machine. However I may have a clue as to why it was configured this way.

    I was used to working with Win 7 on my previous machine. Quite frankly, it did all I needed it to do and more and had a good in depth knowledge (as a user) of it's workings. On a PC and given nature of my work, I've little use for using touchscreen, so I asked the IT guy to install Windows 7 as an additional OS which would be the one that suited me best.

    The IT guy implemented this by installing Win 7 on Drive D running it in Oracle VM VirtualBox as you can see in 'Win7' screen capture, and rightly assuming that it's the OS that I'd mainly use, allocated most of the HD space to it. However, as you can see in the second screen capture, Win 7 runs in a box much smaller than the full screen and not really suitable for my work (Photo Editing, Audio etc) as well as being dreadfully slow. So I'm afraid that using Win 7 is a no go.

    Given my limited knowledge, the solution seems to be to uninstall the Oracle VirtualBox and Win 7 along with it. Is there anyway I can do this, for example would it work through the Uninstall procedure in the Control Panel. Reluctant to try in case I render the Win10 OS inoperable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win7.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	226414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Capture.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	226415
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Problem EFI partition in General Support
So I just bought a new PC that came without an SSD. I placed one in it and installed the OS on it. I have two other drives on the system as well. The 2TB HDD that came with the PC and a 1TB external HDD connected through USB. I'm trying to clear the...
Partition table problem with Windows update in Installation and Upgrade
I've been trying to upgrade (not a fresh install) a Gateway desktop from Win7 to Win10 for weeks now, but the stumbling block is that SP1 is required, but I don't have it. I've been told that I can upgrade without SP1 using a DVD with the win10 iso...
Partition problem in Installation and Upgrade
hi; I purchased a used laptop with win 7 installed on a 300Gb hdd. I downloaded the win10 installation program and successfully installed 10. I tried repartitioning the hdd and foolishly deleted some necessary partitions. The installation...
Hi, Windows 10 Home 64 bit Clean install, 2 Samsung 850 EVO's, one will be main drive the other for backup purposes. The screen shot below was taken from Macrium Reflect backup / restore software. Both SSD's seem to be functioning well, load very...
Having upgrade Windows 8.1 to W10, I wish to now do a clean install, but cannot install over current installation due to it being a GPT Partition style boot. I have heard this can be deleted and replaced with MBR but then will I have to format the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50.
Find Us