How to address high Temps in XPS 8930

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 789
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Internet Security Specialty.
       #21

    @Rlp1963 -

    I have a loaded XPS-8930 with a Core i7-8700K (slightly overclocked) and have had no problem.

    How far have you OC'ed the unit and when you run it as factory do you have thermal issues?
    Have all the fans been checked via visual and diagnostic?

    I agree about the stock cooler and case, though.

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #22

    It is a 9700K and I have done nothing to it. I have not adjusted anything but it says it is I7-9700K @ 3.6 but runs up to like 4700 mhz (or whatever) when it is working and obviously that is when it gets hot but I have actually not done anything but use it. I have been tracking the temps but have not changed anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 13,763
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1809
       #23

    Referring back to OP posting #11, make this a Dell problem. It's likely under warranty and you spent good money on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 789
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Internet Security Specialty.
       #24

    Rlp1963 said: View Post
    It is a 9700K and I have done nothing to it. I have not adjusted anything but it says it is I7-9700K @ 3.6 but runs up to like 4700 mhz (or whatever) when it is working and obviously that is when it gets hot but I have actually not done anything but use it. I have been tracking the temps but have not changed anything.
    Do you have Dell ProSupport or ProSupport Plus? The USA based support is superior.
    Does the fan rev up high with a high pitched whine when going over 4 Ghz?
    Did you check to see if there is motherboard BIOS update for fan control?

    FWIW.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #25

    If its "stock" and the speed is reving up to a higher speed I would question why or what is causing that. The (overclocking?) speedup will cause more heating. I haven't seen this particular issue posted on the Dell forums (yet).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    #26

    Compumind said: View Post
    Do you have Dell ProSupport or ProSupport Plus? The USA based support is superior.
    Does the fan rev up high with a high pitched whine when going over 4 Ghz?
    Did you check to see if there is motherboard BIOS update for fan control?

    FWIW.
    I have Premium Support:
    Need us to come to your location to repair your hardware? On-site repairs are part of this plan.
    Get help using with the software you installed with a simple phone call.
    Travelling out of the country? We’ll support your PC no matter where you take it.
    SupportAssist proactively opens a repair case for PC hardware issues before they ever happen.

    Yes I have updated all drivers including BIOS update as that is what support first suggested. The fan does rev up high when under a heavy load and working hard. I have not noticed at what GHZ this happens at but the GHZ is constantly fluctuating in all 8 cores and it is definitely in the 4000 but not sure exactly what point over that. I feel like if I choked it down to the low 4000's like 4300 max it would not get that hot and found a solution that would do that but it wasn't clear to me how to do it so I am not going to attempt it (it was not just setting the performance to 99%) and cannot get the guy who came up with it to respond to me or walk me through it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    #27

    fireberd said: View Post
    If its "stock" and the speed is reving up to a higher speed I would question why or what is causing that. The (overclocking?) speedup will cause more heating. I haven't seen this particular issue posted on the Dell forums (yet).
    Well I was under the impression that this CPU was suppose to do that and that was the difference between "K" and not "K" processors but I am not sure. The tech guys took a look at it and I guess saw the fluctuating GHZ and going into the 4000s but said nothing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 13,763
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1809
       #28

    Most modern processors have a base speed and a turbo speed. That sound like what you are seeing. Either "K" or no "K" do this.

    A "K" processor allows you to overclock so you change the base (normal running speed). You cannot overclock a non "K" processor but it will still burst in turbo mode. Turbo frequency shouldn't really be confused with overclocking although the processor does speed up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #29

    Sure wouldn't hurt and would be an easy fix if they sent you another CPU to try. Maybe they have changed the way it is assembled or something to make it run cooler.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #30

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Most modern processors have a base speed and a turbo speed. That sound like what you are seeing. Either "K" or no "K" do this.

    A "K" processor allows you to overclock so you change the base (normal running speed). You cannot overclock a non "K" processor but it will still burst in turbo mode. Turbo frequency shouldn't really be confused with overclocking although the processor does speed up.
    Thanks for that clarification. I am pretty sure it is just doing the turbo mode thing and I have not OCed in any way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Related Threads
High CPU/GPU Temps in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I've noticed high CPU/GPU temps when my watercooler pump and fan are maxed out and all the fans are maxed out currently I only have a browser open and my temps are as follows: 218971 What is also concerning is currently my GTX 1070 is...
I have been dealing with fps drops while gaming for a month now, and I have tried everything to fix it. It's been driving me nuts, considering the hardware shouldn't be performing so badly. When I do a userbenchmark everything looks fine and dandy,...
Very high CPU Temps in Performance & Maintenance
Hi I turned my PC on this morning as I do every morning but instead of behaving like it normally does the fans started spinning 100%. So I checked the temps in the BIOS and the CPU is running at 89c. I have cleaned off and reapplied the...
i7 6700K high temps in Performance & Maintenance
All settings are default with no overclock using the a high end fan cooler Thermal past has been applied 5 times This is while streaming and playing call of duty and battlefield one
Hi all, I have posted here before about BSOD issues and I thought they had stopped after your help. Alas, they have returned with a vengeance. The BSODs usually happen when the CPU is under load, they happen often when playing DotA 2 and every...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:17.
Find Us