Install Memory ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Install Memory ?


    Today I upgraded the memory in my PowerSpec desktop. I had a very hard time installing the two 8Gb modules and getting the computer to boot. I did finally get it to work but I don't understand why I couldn't get it to work as the order shown in the manual. The computer came with 4GB memory module in B2. I put one 8GB in B2 and one in 8GB in A2 and the computer would not boot. Then I tried 8GB in B1 and 8GB in A1 and the computer wouldn't boot. Trying just one 8GB stick in all the slots the only slots that the computer would boot with is B1 or B2. I put the memory in B1 and B2 and the computer booted and all 16Gb is recognized. Anyone know why the memory locations showed in the manual wouldn't let my computer boot. the memory is two 8GB dual channel DDR4 2400MHz. They came as a set.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    By manual I assume you mean the paper one that came with the motherboard. If so it is likely a typo or some such, as the PDF available for download,
    PRIME B360M-A Manual | Motherboards | ASUS USA

    clearly shows A1/A2 and B1/B2 as the correct location for each memory channel (P.S. it isn't the memory that is dual channel, but the memory controller in the CPU that is).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b360m.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	223990
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 2,053
    Win 10 X64 Pro 1809 17763.55
       #3

    As you read in the manual, the preferred slots for a pair are A2 and B2. (That's why they are the same color/shade.)

    You may not get dual channel performance if they're in B1 and B2. I'm not sure.

    I had something similar happen with an Asus AM4 motherboard. It turned out to be defective. I hope that's not the case here.

    One thing I can suggest trying is clearing the CMOS. There's a jumper for that.

    Did you buy RAM from the QVL (qualified vendors list)? https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...079.1549860802 RAM that's not on the list should still work, but tech support may give you a hard time about it.

    Good luck.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    stormy13 said: View Post
    By manual I assume you mean the paper one that came with the motherboard. If so it is likely a typo or some such, as the PDF available for download,
    PRIME B360M-A Manual | Motherboards | ASUS USA

    clearly shows A1/A2 and B1/B2 as the correct location for each memory channel (P.S. it isn't the memory that is dual channel, but the memory controller in the CPU that is).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b360m.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	223990
    I have the ram installed in what is shown in the pic as A1 and A2. The Bios shows them B1 and B2. The next page in the manual shows them correctly. The problem I had is that when I install them as shown in the manual the computer won't boot.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    bobkn said: View Post
    As you read in the manual, the preferred slots for a pair are A2 and B2. (That's why they are the same color/shade.)

    You may not get dual channel performance if they're in B1 and B2. I'm not sure.

    I had something similar happen with an Asus AM4 motherboard. It turned out to be defective. I hope that's not the case here.

    One thing I can suggest trying is clearing the CMOS. There's a jumper for that.

    Did you buy RAM from the QVL (qualified vendors list)? https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...079.1549860802 RAM that's not on the list should still work, but tech support may give you a hard time about it.

    Good luck.
    On the motherboard A1 and A2 are not only not the same color but the Bios list them as B1 and B2.

    Edit: Going by the above pic A1 matches B1 and A2 matches matches B2
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    I just ran CPU-Z and the memory is running in single mode. Is it worth the effort to try changing the memory configuration or is the performance difference not worth it?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    #7

    For basic tasks you're not gonna get significant changes. For gaming and other heavy tasks, it does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    RoasterMen said: View Post
    For basic tasks you're not gonna get significant changes. For gaming and other heavy tasks, it does.
    Thanks! I tried a few suggestions I found on other sites but nothing work. One suggestion I found had to do with either a bent pin on the CPU or uneven pressure on the cooler. The system does work so I'm not going to mess with the CPU. Upgrading the memory does seem to make the system run faster.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 2,053
    Win 10 X64 Pro 1809 17763.55
       #9

    Winuser said: View Post
    Thanks! I tried a few suggestions I found on other sites but nothing work. One suggestion I found had to do with either a bent pin on the CPU or uneven pressure on the cooler. The system does work so I'm not going to mess with the CPU. Upgrading the memory does seem to make the system run faster.
    Your CPU is an LGA (land grid array) one, so it has no pins. Just flat pads (lands), which contact pin-like structures in the socket. It's a distinction without much of a difference.

    If the motherboard is damaged, it's probably not repairable by the user.

    I suppose that the system is out of warranty. You probably don't want to mess with it, but I see that Newegg sells its motherboard for about $90, shipped (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-086-_-Product). If it was me, I'd probably swap out the board; using a partly broken PC would gnaw at me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    bobkn said: View Post
    Your CPU is an LGA (land grid array) one, so it has no pins. Just flat pads (lands), which contact pin-like structures in the socket. It's a distinction without much of a difference.

    If the motherboard is damaged, it's probably not repairable by the user.

    I suppose that the system is out of warranty. You probably don't want to mess with it, but I see that Newegg sells its motherboard for about $90, shipped (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-086-_-Product). If it was me, I'd probably swap out the board; using a partly broken PC would gnaw at me.
    I think your right about it being the motherboard. I'll check with Micro Center and see what I have to do to get it fixed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I purchased a 32GB Optane Memory Module and am seeking advise to make the install go smoothly.......... I am running Windows 10 Pro 1709 OS Build 16299.371 I have an MSI Z370 Gaming Plus Motherboard with 16GB of ram and Intel I7 8700K...
So I did a clean install that would keep my Files and delete all the apps, but now I still have 350GB of HDD Memeory, instead of 800GB Or so
Gents, Running into a few problems with my new computer build (details in profile) and would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Quickly, its a new build and a fresh Windows 10 x64 install. I have ran memtest86...
Memory Stik Question/Clean install Win10 in Installation and Upgrade
I originally upgraded my Win 7 64b to win 10. Had issues, so downloaded the Media Creation Tool and installed a clean Win 10. I messed up the password question and enabled the password and couldn't get it resolved so decided to reinstall again. I...
I have a Win 10 iso that I download in August but have not yet installed. I have 12 GB memory installed now but I want to increase to 24 GB while I still have Win 7 installed, and then continue running Win 7 for a while longer. I'm assuming...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.
Find Us