Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Rockport, Tx.
    Posts : 14
    win 10
       05 Aug 2015 #31

    truckmann said: View Post
    See the pic for where the drivers they are looking to see are located. It's not under the CD/DVD drive so it doesn't matter that it's not showing up. Your issues are the same as what mine was doing. I could open the drive and it sounded like it would try to read a disk but the drive doesn't show up in the OS.

    Attachment 28575
    Right! I will attempt this and post here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,005
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       05 Aug 2015 #32

    flood404 said: View Post
    Yeah Acer never bothered updating their site with the latest drivers. All the manufactures are like that. Intel website is a pain to find that driver since they are on version 10 but they dropped support for his SATA chipset awhile ago.
    Another reason i believe Windows 10 has correct ones, even if older date, might be only ones supplied. Really need to check the BIOS in these issue with drives, least see if it is being recognized there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Pro
       05 Aug 2015 #33

    truckmann said: View Post
    Sounds good. That's about what I thought it was for anyway. Do I still need to install the 9.1.9.1005 driver?

    I tested the the 9.1.9.1005 driver on windows 10 and they work fine. I would recommend those. If your not having issues now you can keep using the older driver.

    I also have an older driver that comes with Rapid storage Tech program. But the drivers work but the RST program does not start like it supposed to do. Which is basically a control panel to check the drive health status and to stop a drive to unplug it from the system while its still on which is also known as hot plugging.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Pro
       05 Aug 2015 #34

    jds63 said: View Post
    Another reason i believe Windows 10 has correct ones, even if older date, might be only ones supplied. Really need to check the BIOS in these issue with drives, least see if it is being recognized there.
    When you upgrade to windows 10 from a previous windows like windows 7 or windows 8.1. IT will try to use the drivers you had from the previous windows you were running. It does not grab any old SATA driver from windows update for the very old SATA chipsets. Its been always the ones you installed yourself or from the driver cd you used when you had windows 7 or 8.1 that you upgraded to 10 from. Because why would Windows 10 use a driver that was made way back in 2009 or even 2012. This was way before Windows 10 was even thought of. I know the Windows 10 would install its own drivers for the chipsets that are couple years old at least. I would bet if you did a clean install now it would use a Standard AHCI driver instead of a Intel based one for both controllers you have now..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
       06 Aug 2015 #35

    flood404 said: View Post
    I tested the the 9.1.9.1005 driver on windows 10 and they work fine. I would recommend those. If your not having issues now you can keep using the older driver.

    I also have an older driver that comes with Rapid storage Tech program. But the drivers work but the RST program does not start like it supposed to do. Which is basically a control panel to check the drive health status and to stop a drive to unplug it from the system while its still on which is also known as hot plugging.
    I did go ahead and install the 9.1.9.1005 and it is working fine for me too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,005
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       06 Aug 2015 #36

    flood404 said: View Post
    When you upgrade to windows 10 from a previous windows like windows 7 or windows 8.1. IT will try to use the drivers you had from the previous windows you were running. It does not grab any old SATA driver from windows update for the very old SATA chipsets. Its been always the ones you installed yourself or from the driver cd you used when you had windows 7 or 8.1 that you upgraded to 10 from. Because why would Windows 10 use a driver that was made way back in 2009 or even 2012. This was way before Windows 10 was even thought of. I know the Windows 10 would install its own drivers for the chipsets that are couple years old at least. I would bet if you did a clean install now it would use a Standard AHCI driver instead of a Intel based one for both controllers you have now..
    I did do a clean install, guess you did not remember what was read before. Either way upgrade or clean install, Windows 10 installed same drivers for the controllers, as it was different with Windows 8.1. All i am saying is with this thread starter does not take drivers for a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to be recognized by the BIOS. If he or she CD-ROM not being recognized if they ever at least looked in BIOS this will tell a lot. If it it being recognized, then we go from there. Driver issue i believe would show yellow exclamation point in Device Manager.

    Look at my first SATA controller in my post picture first one on my system controls SATA III Ports 0-5 this is where i put my HDD and SSD. Second controller in pic controls sSATA III ports 0-3 this is where i put my DVD ROM on.

    Similar if you install a PCI card do you think it needs the driver to be recognized at first by the BIOS ?
    Yeah it's possible Windows 10 does not have these specific drivers in it, but there is as said only 2 manufacturer's, AMD and Intel.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Pro
       06 Aug 2015 #37

    jds63 said: View Post
    I did do a clean install, guess you did not remember what was read before. Either way upgrade or clean install, Windows 10 installed same drivers for the controllers, as it was different with Windows 8.1. All i am saying is with this thread starter does not take drivers for a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to be recognized by the BIOS. If he or she CD-ROM not being recognized if they ever at least looked in BIOS this will tell a lot. If it it being recognized, then we go from there. Driver issue i believe would show yellow exclamation point in Device Manager.

    Look at my first SATA controller in my post picture first one on my system controls SATA III Ports 0-5 this is where i put my HDD and SSD. Second controller in pic controls sSATA III ports 0-3 this is where i put my DVD ROM on.

    Similar if you install a PCI card do you think it needs the driver to be recognized at first by the BIOS ?
    Yeah it's possible Windows 10 does not have these specific drivers in it, but there is as said only 2 manufacturer's, AMD and Intel.
    There is actually more manufactures that makes sata controllers. They are VIA, SiS, Nvidia for those with Nforce or Nvidia chipsets. There is adaptec. Marvell and Asmedia. Compaq made their own and there tons of others.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Rockport, Tx.
    Posts : 14
    win 10
       08 Aug 2015 #38

    sailor44 said: View Post
    Right! I will attempt this and post here.
    Update: I finally gave up, and did a reinstall (called a refresh by windows). That fixed it! I don't know why, but I now see the drive . Oh, BTW, at the same time, I replaced the old drive with a new HP one. Not a scientific solution, but the bottom line is I am back with a CD drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Pro
       08 Aug 2015 #39

    sailor44 said: View Post
    Update: I finally gave up, and did a reinstall (called a refresh by windows). That fixed it! I don't know why, but I now see the drive . Oh, BTW, at the same time, I replaced the old drive with a new HP one. Not a scientific solution, but the bottom line is I am back with a CD drive.

    Can you give us a screenshot or the drivers it used and what version it used to finally see the drive in case I run into this myself?

    It will be in device manager under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Rockport, Tx.
    Posts : 14
    win 10
       08 Aug 2015 #40

    flood404 said: View Post
    Can you give us a screenshot or the drivers it used and what version it used to finally see the drive in case I run into this myself?

    It will be in device manager under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers.
    Here is the screen shot. All devices had the same driver and so does the cd writer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drivers.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Lost Power Options (clean install) Please help!
Hi. I updated from 8.1 to 10 and have lost all of my power options. The only one I have is "balanced". Is there any way I can enable "high performance"? Your help is appreciated! Joseph
Drivers and Hardware
I lost my power options (clean install) HELP!
Hi. I updated from 8.1 to 10 and have lost all of my power options. The only one I have is "balanced". Is there any way I can enable "high performance"? Your help is appreciated! Joseph
Gaming
Solved Virtual hard drive made with partition wizard lost after win10 install
As per title, i have this annoying issue. Having a 3TB hard drive in win7, after partitioning normally the first 2GB of it, i opted to use partition wizard to partition the remaining 1GB of the drive. It did so, i assume, by creating a permanent...
Virtualization
DVD/cd writer cycling
I run W8.1 and 10130 on the same desktop. They are on separate SSD's and only plugged in one at a time. When 10130 is in and idle, the DVD/CD will cycle meaning it tries to do a read. Last's about 5 seconds and repeats every 3 minutes. The tray...
Drivers and Hardware
File extension for Open Office Writer
I've been using MSOffice Word for quite some time. I want to switch over to Open Office Writer. Can I save a file that I make in Writer with an docx file extinsion? If not, since I have dozens of files with the docx externsion, which is the best one...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums