Thinkpad E480 Micro SD card reader Re: NEWBIE!


  1. Posts : 580
    windows 10 pro
       #1

    Thinkpad E480 Micro SD card reader Re: NEWBIE!


    So I have never had a card reader before much less a "micro" one. In fact and someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe they have fallen out of favor recently.
    So I am looking for suggestions to experiment with it and would appreciate some highly recommended choices.
    I suppose not unlike all external storage options read/ write is of the utmost importance as well as build quality.
    Can anyone point me to real world reliable experience with some models to look at. 128GB - 256GB should suffice. Thanks.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 12,417
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    I don't think they've fallen out of favor but more like cell/smart phones the user market has become saturated, everyone has what they want or need.

    The largest SDHC card I have is 64GB, haven't found a good buy on larger ones yet. The card used to be SD but had a limited capacity of 2GB, now we have the SDHC cards with much greater sizes starting at 4GB. The MicroSDXC card used in phones and some tablets come with an SD Adapter to use in card readers, seem to work just fine.

    Some of the 'major' brands are SanDisk, Verbatim, PNY, Lexar, just check Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more for other offerings. As with all products some countries will not have particular brands available.

    One caveat: if the card is to be used in a digital camera don't format it in a computer but in the camera. Even if the formatting seems to be the same the camera must be putting different markers in it and the computer can mess that up, will still require formatting in the camera.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 580
    windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    I don't think they've fallen out of favor but more like cell/smart phones the user market has become saturated, everyone has what they want or need.

    The largest SDHC card I have is 64GB, haven't found a good buy on larger ones yet. The card used to be SD but had a limited capacity of 2GB, now we have the SDHC cards with much greater sizes starting at 4GB. The MicroSDXC card used in phones and some tablets come with an SD Adapter to use in card readers, seem to work just fine.

    Some of the 'major' brands are SanDisk, Verbatim, PNY, Lexar, just check Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more for other offerings. As with all products some countries will not have particular brands available.

    One caveat: if the card is to be used in a digital camera don't format it in a computer but in the camera. Even if the formatting seems to be the same the camera must be putting different markers in it and the computer can mess that up, will still require formatting in the camera.
    Thanks.

    >...but more like cell/smart phones the user market has become saturated

    Right. What limited GOOGLE looking I have done it seems that cell/ smart phone/ cameras seem to be the primary target for these. My purpose will be ONLY for the Micro SD card reader in the new notebook.

    Do you use a Micro SD card reader in a computer by any chance? TIA.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 12,417
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #4

    Yes, all of my computers have the card reader, most are Notebooks that come with the SD/SDHC reader. However, a couple of the older ones can't read SDHC cards, only the SD which do seem to be harder to find. For the older machines I keep a pocketable USB Card reader on hand, quite portable and only cost less than $20 at Wal*Mart. Some of them also have a small slot for the MicroSDXC card so the adapter to SD/SDHC doesn't need to be carried. Most Desktops with USB ports on the front will have a card reader and headset/microphone ports.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 580
    windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Berton said:
    Yes, all of my computers have the card reader, most are Notebooks that come with the SD/SDHC reader. However, a couple of the older ones can't read SDHC cards, only the SD which do seem to be harder to find. For the older machines I keep a pocketable USB Card reader on hand, quite portable and only cost less than $20 at Wal*Mart. Some of them also have a small slot for the MicroSDXC card so the adapter to SD/SDHC doesn't need to be carried. Most Desktops with USB ports on the front will have a card reader and headset/microphone ports.
    >Yes, all of my computers have the card reader,

    I wonder if off hand you know whether or not this model would be compatible for my new inexpensive consumer notebook:

    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/22TP2TEE480

    Specs:


    • Micro SD card reader


    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB...SIN=B073JYC4XM

    There sure seems to be a "whole lot of info" in that model subject info : )

    SanDisk 128GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 12,417
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #6

    phaedruspress said:
    >Yes, all of my computers have the card reader,

    I wonder if off hand you know whether or not this model would be compatible for my new inexpensive consumer notebook:

    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/22TP2TEE480

    Specs:


    • Micro SD card reader


    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB...SIN=B073JYC4XM

    There sure seems to be a "whole lot of info" in that model subject info : )

    SanDisk 128GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA
    That's a good price for the card, may have to get me one for my Tablet. It should work.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 580
    windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Berton said:
    That's a good price for the card, may have to get me one for my Tablet. It should work.
    Thanks for the response. Not to be pedantic but why the caveat "It should work" given the specs I provided above. Is it just the whimsical nature of all things computers or do you have some type of other reservations. TIA.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 12,417
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #8

    phaedruspress said:
    Thanks for the response. Not to be pedantic but why the caveat "It should work" given the specs I provided above. Is it just the whimsical nature of all things computers or do you have some type of other reservations. TIA.
    When working with new hardware it's always best to reserve a definite opinion until after it has been tried, especially before the money-back guarantee runs out.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums