How to choose RAM (memory)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #11

    bobkn said:
    I suggest getting CPU-Z to check you current configuration. The main thing you'd want to know is whether you have two 4GB SODIMMs installed, or one 8 GB. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

    As the initial configuration was 4GB, it could be either way. That determines what SODIMMs you'd have to buy to go to 16 GB. (If you have a single 8GB one in place, adding another would do it. If you have 2 X 4GB, you need to buy two 8 GB, or a single 16 GB.)

    I don't know what RAM to recommend for Japan. I've had good luck with Corsair, Gskill, and Crucial (Micron), but there are other good makes. My main desktop is running a couple of Corsair DDR4 DIMMs at the moment. I'm pleased with them, but they have LEDs, which I find slightly embarrassing.
    -------------------------------------------------

    Hi, thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    You wrote " what SODIMMs you'd have to buy" Yet, I did not install cpu-z rather attaching an image shot taken while Crucial website checked the memory. You can find some information on the left side. In the meantime I will try to learn what does this mean what SODIMMs you'd have to buy
    How to choose RAM (memory)?-crucial.jpg

    Thank you once again for help.
      My Computer

  2. RoasterMen's Avatar
    Posts : 832
    Windows 10 LTSC
       #12

    If you can't find the same RAM that is installed in your laptop, you can buy a similarly-specced RAM doesn't matter which brand it is
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 913
    CP/M
       #13

    As bobkn said, use cpu-z to find your current RAM type, then try to buy the same module for second slot. If possible, do not mix different types of ram modules.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #14

    RoasterMen said:
    If you can't find the same RAM that is installed in your laptop, you can buy a similarly-specced RAM doesn't matter which brand it is
    Hi, thank you for the reply.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #15

    muchomurka said:
    As bobkn said, use cpu-z to find your current RAM type, then try to buy the same module for second slot. If possible, do not mix different types of ram modules.
    Hi, thank you for the reply.
      My Computer

  6. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 3,603
    Win 10 X64 Pro 20H2 19042.685
       #16

    Ari94 said:
    -------------------------------------------------

    Hi, thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    You wrote " what SODIMMs you'd have to buy" Yet, I did not install cpu-z rather attaching an image shot taken while Crucial website checked the memory. You can find some information on the left side. In the meantime I will try to learn what does this mean what SODIMMs you'd have to buy
    (snip)
    Thank you once again for help.
    I suggested CPU-Z because it can tell you whether you have two 4GB SODIMMs installed in your laptop, or a single 8GB one. I think that the Crucial web site gives you information about what is compatible with the laptop, not what is installed in it.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,959
    Windows 10
       #17

    Crucial is saying 4 GB in one slot. Check by looking in Laptop and noting labelling, and sockets.

    Various ACER models are different in countries/markets, looking is the best way to find out to make sure.

    Therefore for 8 GB, another 1 x 4 GB to the spec indicated. DDR3L-1600 SODIMM PC3L-12800 unbuffered. CL 11 1.35v.
    For 16 GB, 2 x 8 GB (kit) and remove the current one.

    Those 2 options should retain 2 channel operation, put 1 x 8 GB in it will run as single channel 12 GB.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #18

    bobkn said:
    I suggested CPU-Z because it can tell you whether you have two 4GB SODIMMs installed in your laptop, or a single 8GB one. I think that the Crucial web site gives you information about what is compatible with the laptop, not what is installed in it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, thank you very much for the reply. Below are some details from CPU-Z about memory.
    SMBus address 0x52
    Memory type DDR3L
    Module format SO-DIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) Kingston
    Size 4096 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Part number
    Serial number
    Manufacturing date Week 24/Year 17
    Number of banks 8
    Nominal Voltage 1.35 Volts
    EPP no
    XMP no
    AMP no

    Thank you.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Helmut said:
    Crucial is saying 4 GB in one slot. Check by looking in Laptop and noting labelling, and sockets.

    Various ACER models are different in countries/markets, looking is the best way to find out to make sure.

    Therefore for 8 GB, another 1 x 4 GB to the spec indicated. DDR3L-1600 SODIMM PC3L-12800 unbuffered. CL 11 1.35v.
    For 16 GB, 2 x 8 GB (kit) and remove the current one.

    Those 2 options should retain 2 channel operation, put 1 x 8 GB in it will run as single channel 12 GB.
    ----------------------------------
    Hi, thank you very much for the details it is helpful.
      My Computer

  10. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 3,603
    Win 10 X64 Pro 20H2 19042.685
       #20

    Ari94 said:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, thank you very much for the reply. Below are some details from CPU-Z about memory.
    SMBus address 0x52
    Memory type DDR3L
    Module format SO-DIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) Kingston
    Size 4096 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Part number
    Serial number
    Manufacturing date Week 24/Year 17
    Number of banks 8
    Nominal Voltage 1.35 Volts
    EPP no
    XMP no
    AMP no

    Thank you.
    My apologies. Looking back at your first post, I didn't notice that your existing RAM is 4GB. I have no idea why I thought you had 8.

    You have one SODIMM. You can add an 8GB one, for a total of 12GB.

    It would be less expensive to add a second 4GB SODIMM, giving you 8GB total. That would probably also give you dual-channel operation, although you may not notice the performance increase outside of benchmarks.

    Here's a link to some Kingston memory that may match what you have: https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/s...re&Model=98734
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums