Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October


  1. Posts : 9
    windows 10
       #1

    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October


    After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared.

    I save all documents on external "F" Drive.

    After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't change it from "F" to "G".

    During a search I found another partition recorded as "F" Recovery. I now have two recovery partitions. The "F" Recovery has lost recorded on it.

    Why was "F" stolen from me as my external drive and resubsituted with "G" and why I now have "F" as a "recovery"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October-2018.10.01.f-drive-oem-partition.jpg   Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October-2018.10.05.partition.jpg  
      My Computer

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,694
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2

    crikeymate said:
    After an upgrade from MS in October... . I found another partition recorded as "F" Recovery....
    Occasionally in an upgrade the recovery partition is left with a drive letter assigned. It's not unusual for a Features Update to create a new recovery partition if the original one is too small, but it should not have had a drive letter assigned.

    You can use Diskpart to remove the "F" letter from the recovery partition and put your system back to as it should have been in the first place. Open an admin command or powershell prompt. Type the commands:

    DISKPART

    REMOVE LETTER=F

    EXIT
      My Computers

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #3

    Bree said:
    Occasionally in an upgrade the recovery partition is left with a drive letter assigned. It's not unusual for a Features Update to create a new recovery partition if the original one is too small, but it should not have had a drive letter assigned.

    You can use Diskpart to remove the "F" letter from the recovery partition and put your system back to as it should have been in the first place. Open an admin command or powershell prompt. Type the commands:

    DISKPART

    REMOVE LETTER=F

    EXIT
    Don't you have to select volume first?
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,694
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    cereberus said:
    Don't you have to select volume first?
    Yes, you're right. I had already selected the volume when I tested that command sequence

    DISKPART

    SELECT VOLUME F

    REMOVE LETTER=F

    EXIT
      My Computers

  5. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #5

    Can you select a volume by letter. Not at my pc to test.

    I thought it had to be by number i.e.

    list volume

    select volume # (# is volume number that has drive letter F)
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,694
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    cereberus said:
    Can you select a volume by letter. Not at my pc to test.
    Yes, I tested that before posting.

    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October-image.png
      My Computers

  7. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #7

    Bree said:
    Yes, I tested that before posting.

    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October-image.png
    Not to old to learn new tricks - woof woof :-D!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 9
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Bree said:
    Occasionally in an upgrade the recovery partition is left with a drive letter assigned. It's not unusual for a Features Update to create a new recovery partition if the original one is too small, but it should not have had a drive letter assigned.

    You can use Diskpart to remove the "F" letter from the recovery partition and put your system back to as it should have been in the first place. Open an admin command or powershell prompt. Type the commands:

    DISKPART

    REMOVE LETTER=F

    EXIT
    I am confused, my recovery drive "D" is 22GB and this extra "recovery" partition before, so why has an extra partition appeared and never had one before. And why was my external drive called "F DRIVE" was taken from me and replaced with "G DRIVE". I would like to know what information is stored in this "F" recovery drive of 850MB and I am wondering if this is where my missing information from my external drive has ended up?
      My Computer

  9. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #9

    crikeymate said:
    I am confused, my recovery drive "D" is 22GB and this extra "recovery" partition before, so why has an extra partition appeared and never had one before. And why was my external drive called "F DRIVE" was taken from me and replaced with "G DRIVE". I would like to know what information is stored in this "F" recovery drive of 850MB and I am wondering if this is where my missing information from my external drive has ended up?
    The 22GB partition is a vendor recovery drive. This contains OS and vendor crapware. I always delete these.

    The 850MB partition contains software to inititiate a rebuild of the OS (it builds it from special compressed folders on C drive).

    The letter naming is not important. You data on external drive should still be therrlr if you click on drive G.
      My Computer

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,694
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    crikeymate said:
    I am confused, my recovery drive "D" is 22GB and this extra "recovery" partition before, so why has an extra partition appeared and never had one before. And why was my external drive called "F DRIVE" was taken from me and replaced with "G DRIVE". I would like to know what information is stored in this "F" recovery drive of 850MB and I am wondering if this is where my missing information from my external drive has ended up?
    cereberus said:
    The 22GB partition is a vendor recovery drive. This contains OS and vendor crapware. I always delete these....
    That 22GB D: Recovery drive tells me you almost certainly have an HP laptop that was supplied with Windows 8 or 8.1 pre-installed by HP. It can be used to reset the laptop to 'as originally supplied' condition (Win8). If you would never want to do that, then you could delete that partition - it's up to you.

    HP were one of the few OEMs who gave their recovery drive a letter, most other OEMs hid theirs by not assigning a drive letter. Windows will always leave any such an OEM recovery drive alone and make another one for its own use.

    The 850MB recovery drive is the Windows 10 recovery drive and contains the recovery tools that Windows 10 uses in Advances Start Up. As explained, it should not normally have a drive letter. Because it has been left with one after the upgrade, all other drive letters have been pushed up by one place in the alphabet. Remove F: from the 850MB recovery drive and they'll be able to move back down.

    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 | Tutorials
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums