Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Sep 2015 #11
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10

    I also used the find function in the Registry to search for DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade and it found nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by CheckMate View Post
    The Registry Key is there.Try looking for it again. It HAS to be there because that's the cause of the problem and now three users have shown that and that the permanent fix is to change the value. It's safe to make a change in the registry only if the instructions are simple, which this is, and if they are logical and make sense, which this also is. And we're right that the mistaken way the value is set to "1" is telling windows INCORRECTLY to default the TouchPad as if it were doing the Windows 10 upgrade each time you restart. And that is what that key refers to. By changing the value to "0", you're telling it NOT to do anything, which is the way it should work, and why it stops the defaulting nonsense cold. I haven't had one single instance of the TouchPad defaulting all the settings after I followed these instructions even after testing with a dozen restarts and fast startups.

    The "Default folder" you referred to is NOT the correct folder and you're right in not messing with it because that registry key is for something else and shouldn't be changed. I wouldn't experiment like that either.

    If you follow the path exactly as in the instructions, then you should get to SynTP and then the "Install" folder, right under the "Default"folder. When you click on the Install folder, the "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" is second on the list, after "Default". Try it again and you should see it there. I checked your computer specs and it's also an HP Envy, so it should work the same way.

    I will never make any registry changes unless they're already TESTED, are simple and straightforward and make logical sense and ALSO where it's very easy to reverse the change. If the change did cause any problems, it would be very simple to change the value back to "1" I knew it was wrong, but I had already tried that Lenovo driver on my HP Envy and my computer literally would not let me install it because it was "not compatible". You can also backup the registry and /or create a restore point before you make the change,and you should do that, either of which would restore the registry. But changing the value is really very simple and could be easily changed back again. I've had NO new problems caused by that change and it worked exactly liked it's supposed to even after a dozen restarts. Now you have THREE users that it worked for!

    Try finding the folder "DeleteUserSettingsON Upgread again and let me know if you were able to find it, because if the touchpad is defaulting all the settings, it has to be there because that's what does it. The proof is that changing the value fixes it and stops the settings default cold.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Sep 2015 #12
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 216
    windows 10

    mlamb88757 is correct ... the key you are referring to simply is not there where you say it is. If it were there according to the instructions given, then others would find it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Sep 2015 #13
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 216
    windows 10

    Also, this thread should not be marked as solved!!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Sep 2015 #14
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by mlamb88757 View Post
    No such key. I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, SynTP, Install and these are the keys in that folder:

    (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    DriverVersion REG_SZ 16.6.4.13
    InstallDir REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\synpd.inf_amd64_32d2b22017478041
    OEM REG_SZ Lenovo_SMB
    ProgDir REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP
    OK. I see what you meant, that the registry key is not there and all the registry keys are different in that folder. I noticed a driver number in your registry, 16.6.4.13 that is lower than the driver for Windows 10, which several people on other forums have all said is driver version. 19.0.12.95, which I'm using. Did you update your touch pad driver after doing the Windows 10 upgrade? Because if you already did, then you may have a different touchpad on your model, but nobody has disagreed on other forums that the correct updated driver should be 19.0.12.95, so if you haven't updated it, go the HP.com under laptop support/ drivers and software and plug in your product number ( or let it find it automatically), and make sure you have the updated driver. I checked with HP on your model j100 and they looked up a couple of samples and said that those had the same driver update as mine, for Windows 10. If that's true for yours, then the driver need to be updated and that's probably which the registry keys are different and especially why the driver number is lower.

    Also, I noticed another registry key for Lenovo. "OEM REG_SZ Lenovo_SMB" Is that the Lenovo driver you said you installed, or something else? If it is the Lenovo driver, you need to completely uninstall it because the guy who posted that suggestion is very foolish - a Lenovo driver is not going to be compatible with an HP notebook. I had tested that thing to prove it and my computer wouldn't even let me install it, saying it's incompatible. You can also call HP with the product number to help with updating the driver if you need to.
    Last edited by CheckMate; 09 Sep 2015 at 11:37.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Sep 2015 #15
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggidon View Post
    mlamb88757 is correct ... the key you are referring to simply is not there where you say it is. If it were there according to the instructions given, then others would find it.
    Others ARE finding it. So far, three of us have found that registry key and performed the fix to change the value to "0" and its still holding, which you very conveniently ignored that I said. You also have not said one word about your own experience with this issue, yet you're criticizing a fix that has now worked perfectly and permanently for three people. I'm waiting for a reply about whether or not mlamb88757 updated the driver for Windows 10. If he or she didn't, then that could very well be why the registry key can't be found, unless it's a completely different touchpad.
    Last edited by CheckMate; 08 Sep 2015 at 15:11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Sep 2015 #16
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggidon View Post
    Also, this thread should not be marked as solved!!!
    ''

    Since there is in fact a permanent fix for this for at least a few people, it should be marked "Solved", to clue people that there is a TESTED FIX. The fact that it may not work for everyone does not mean it's not "Solved", which is true of MANY fixes and using four exclamation points doesn't make you any more right that it shouldn't be marked "Solved".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Sep 2015 #17
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 216
    windows 10

    You are absolutely correct CheckMate. I jumped the gun on this one in two ways. First being, I do not have a Synaptics driver aboard my machine but rather an Elan Input Device. Thus the reason for me not finding the Synaptics.
    Secondly, I AM in error in suggesting this thread is not solved because it doesn't work for everyone. My sincere apologies to you and to the forum. I stand (or actually am sitting) corrected!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Sep 2015 #18
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    [QUOTE=Maggidon;383980]You are absolutely correct CheckMate. I jumped the gun on this one in two ways. First being, I do not have a Synaptics driver aboard my machine but rather an Elan Input Device. Thus the reason for me not finding the Synaptics.
    Secondly, I AM in error in suggesting this thread is not solved because it doesn't work for everyone. My sincere apologies to you and to the forum. I stand (or actually am sitting) corrected![/QUOTE


    No problem, but thank you for your honesty, which is rare on the web, but that's how we learn. I hadn't answered mlamb88757 yet and I hadn't thought that maybe the driver wasn't updated for Windows 10, but that might be the problem and after checking his model and the appropriate drive with HP, I'm pretty sure it is the problem.
    Last edited by CheckMate; 16 Sep 2015 at 02:01.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Sep 2015 #19
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    It really works!


    Thanks for the fix. It really was easy, my settings are still saved and so far everything seems to be normal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    21 Sep 2015 #20
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by JessA View Post
    Found an answer that worked on another forum. I will copy paste the answer for you all. This solution worked for me, my mouse settings now hold after restarting.

    *****

    I think I found a fix! After mucking around in the registry, trying all sorts of stuff, moving keys around, with some PARTIAL success but not totally satisfactory... something caught my eye...
    Open up regedit.exe
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install
    Note this is LOCAL MACHINE, not CURRENT USER.
    Look for a key in that Install folder called DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade
    Double click and change the value to 0
    Now go back to the Synaptics control panel, set everything how you like, and reboot. See if it holds. It is holding on mine, still have to test on another computer.
    So, this is a sign something weirder is going on behind the scenes, if the driver thinks it is "upgrading" after every reboot.... but anyway, if it works for now, good enough for me!
    This is definitely the answer!! Worked for me and the instructions are really clear.

    One happy Windows 10 user in the UK
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Unable to reset PIN code for login,
Yesterday, I got a problem with a key being phantom pressed, which is fixed. This leads into my problem. The phantom presses made my PIN code invalid because it incorrectly entered it too many times, and now I can't login with a PIN. Is there any...
User Accounts and Family Safety
How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?
Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the...
General Support
Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings
Good afternoon, I have Windows 10 on two computer with the same login profile. On one computer, I have a left handed mouse on it with the buttons switched. On my laptop, it has a normal touch pad. The issue is that my left button on my Desktop...
Drivers and Hardware
Reset win10 login pin
Is it possible to reset the windows 10 login pin if you've forgotten what it was? I managed to get it changed (after *much* trial and error), but it appears to require the old pin to change the pin -- even if you know the password. That's just...
General Support
Solved USB Mouse bonkers in 9879 in VM. PS/2 Mouse OK !!!!
Hi there "Back to the future". Bog standard Ms USB mouse doesn't work properly in W10 build 9879 VM after latest Windows updates applied (Ok on earlier releases). VMware tools etc all installed -- no difference. The Toolbar only works when the...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums