Is my Hard disk is usable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 421
    Windows 10
       #1

    Is my Hard disk is usable


    My hard disk recently got corrupted either because of virus/hard disk failure and I had to take the help of professional for recovering my data (luckily I had back up of my system image) but hard disk was not getting detected even in macrium. I have now formatted my hard disk but I want to know whether this hard disk is usable or I should call it scrap. I am attaching the crystaldiskinfo details of this hard disk.Is my Hard disk is usable-page-2.jpgIs my Hard disk is usable-page-1.jpg
      My Computer

  2. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 1,037
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #2

    It appears that Crystaldisk is telling you that your hard disk is BAD, I would replace it. If you would like further testing go to the manufacture website and download their diagnostic tool and run that. I'm sure it will confirm your hard drive has failed
      My Computers

  3. clam1952's Avatar
    Posts : 770
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    I'd check it with HD Sentinel and or Seagate's Sea Tools for Windows, reason being I had a similar so called bad disk however Seatools and HD sentinel said it was fine that was three months ago. Curiously Crystal is no longer indicating any problems.
      My Computers

  4. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 1,037
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #4

    sam9 said:
    My hard disk recently got corrupted either because of virus/hard disk failure and I had to take the help of professional for recovering my data (luckily I had back up of my system image) but hard disk was not getting detected even in macrium. I have now formatted my hard disk but I want to know whether this hard disk is usable or I should call it scrap. I am attaching the crystaldiskinfo details of this hard disk.Is my Hard disk is usable-page-2.jpgIs my Hard disk is usable-page-1.jpg
    In my experience, once you start dropping sectors "See 05 Reallocated sectors count" While repairable sectors will continue to drop out. Repair is good to recover data and replace Disk.
      My Computers

  5. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 5,283
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #5

    NO!
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 421
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Clintlgm said:
    In my experience, once you start dropping sectors "See 05 Reallocated sectors count" While repairable sectors will continue to drop out. Repair is good to recover data and replace Disk.
    Thanks to everyone. I tried Suggested Seagate tool and it's basic and long test both failed. Now I have bought new hard disk.

    Can you please elaborate more about Reallocated Sector and other parameters which in future, I should keep eye on those so that timely action could be taken before hard disk gets completely damaged.
      My Computer


  7. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 24,273
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #7

    Hard Disk Sentinel (not free, but giveaways periodically) will monitor your disks' condition - different alarms available.

    Crystal Diskinfo can also monitor your disks and generate an alarm, but the help info (not native English) is sparse and hard to grasp.
    Resident Crystal Dew World

    Routine disk imaging may well pick up disk data corruption- CRC errors- but by that time some data will be lost.

    More:
    Best Free Hard Drive Health Monitoring and Diagnostic Programs | Gizmo's Freeware
    14 Free Hard Drive Testing Tools (Updated June 2018)
      My Computers

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,414
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    sam9 said:
    Can you please elaborate more about Reallocated Sector and other parameters which in future, I should keep eye on those so that timely action could be taken before hard disk gets completely damaged.
    Reallocated sectors are sectors that have been found to be permanently faulty and have been remapped to use spare sectors from an area the drive has set aside for this purpose. Pending sectors are ones that have been detected as possibly faulty but (for now) are in use and can be read. When not in use they can be tested again (such as by doing a full format) and will be reallocated should the diagnosis prove correct. Should they pass the test they will be removed from the 'pending' list and returned to use.

    According to Backblaze, who know a thing or two about predicting drive failures, the key warning signs to look for are...
    Attribute Description
    SMART 5 Reallocated Sectors Count
    SMART 187 Reported Uncorrectable Errors
    SMART 188 Command Timeout
    SMART 197 Current Pending Sector Count
    SMART 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count

    Read this blog from Backblaze for full details...
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-...rive-failures/
      My Computers

  9. axe0's Avatar
    Posts : 14,597
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    I recommend to set the raw values to 10[DEC] for readability (Function > Advanced Feature > Raw values)
      My Computers

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,414
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    axe0 said:
    I recommend to set the raw values to 10[DEC] for readability (Function > Advanced Feature > Raw values)
    1004 [HEX] is 4,100 [DEC]. That was one really dead HDD...
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums