Windows 10: After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag Solved

  1.    25 Jun 2018 #1

    After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag


    Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate' it.

    On a first attempt, when I looking around, i can see my hdd partition on disk defragmenter. For illustration, here is a screenshot of my disk management.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	193511

    Before changed like that, the D: drive only partitioned on the right side (the 700gb part) and the volume is not simple, it was something else, i cant remember the name (I do remember the color is not green like that, it was something blue). And the left side (the 150gb part) is unallocated (before i extending it from disk management) from my recent Windows installation on hdd.

    And then on the second attempt of installing new copy of Windows (because my sound driver not working on first attempt), i decided to extend the volume of the D: drive. I did the extend volume by right clicking on the 700gb part and extend it. Right after commiting the disk extend, a pop up from windows showed up and said something like 'not enough space for doing that' (i forgot to take screenshot lol ) and the 700gb part change to basic and the color is green like my screenshot. And btw the unallocated part is still unallocated after i did said no from the pop up. And from that moment i confused, i did not checking the disk defragment yet, and decided to try once again to extend it. And it did succeed, it changed to my screenshot above.

    And after i have done configure Windows, i wanted defrag the D: drive, and i cant find the D: drive on disk defragment, i googled it, and still have no idea what's wrong.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	193512

    I know there is some kinda way to defrag it manually from powershell (i searched on this forum), but for daily usage, i think is too hard to do. My question is, do you have any solution to my problem, to make D: drive show on defragment. And then, the drive actually on a same hdd, but in disk management, why is it still have like two partition?

    Thank you for answering my question.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,399
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       25 Jun 2018 #2

    Don't have an answer but think I can safely say with SSD/Solid State Drives one uses Trim, not the conventional defrag seen in Tools on Properties of the the drive/s.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,438
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       25 Jun 2018 #3

    Why did you configure your disk to be Dynamic ? Only time you'd configure the disk to be dynamic is when you have multiple disks and want to span those disks so Windows would see it as a single volume.

    From the screen shot above, you actually span the partitions (150GB + 700GB) into a single volume D: with 2 separate partitions. You did not extend it. In order to extend the disk, the unallocated partition (150GB) must be after the 700GB partition.

    Windows defrag will not recognize the disk with the current configuration.

    I suggest that you backup the data in Disk 1 then use diskpart to re-initialze it as a basic disk then copy back the data to it,

    To use diskpart, Open admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick
    assign letter=D
    exit
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Jun 2018 #4

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Why did you configure your disk to be Dynamic ? Only time you'd configure the disk to be dynamic is when you have multiple disks and want to span those disks so Windows would see it as a single volume.

    From the screen shot above, you actually span the partitions (150GB + 700GB) into a single volume D: with 2 separate partitions. You did not extend it. In order to extend the disk, the unallocated partition (150GB) must be after the 700GB partition.

    Windows defrag will not recognize the disk with the current configuration.

    I suggest that you backup the data in Disk 1 then use diskpart to re-initialze it as a basic disk then copy back the data to it,

    To use diskpart, Open admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick
    assign letter=D
    exit
    Yea i think before i did everything the disk type is basic. Idk either why it became dynamic. I just following windows extend volume dialogue, and that happened. I also think to move the data somewhere temporarily for reconfiguring the disk, but right now i dont have space at my external drive for it. Do you have any other idea for re-configure it without backup the data? Maybe with third party software? Thanks before for replying.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,438
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       26 Jun 2018 #5

    moeismu said: View Post
    Yea i think before i did everything the disk type is basic. Idk either why it became dynamic. I just following windows extend volume dialogue, and that happened. I also think to move the data somewhere temporarily for reconfiguring the disk, but right now i dont have space at my external drive for it. Do you have any other idea for re-configure it without backup the data? Maybe with third party software? Thanks before for replying.
    You must have configured the disk as dynamic by accident. I am afraid that you have to back up the data, re-initialize the disk then copy it back. How much data you have in D drive ? can you temporarily create a folder in C: drive then copy there ?
    Even with third party software such as Mini tool Partition Manager won't allow to convert to basic disk with multiple partitions span.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 Jun 2018 #6

    topgundcp said: View Post
    You must have configured the disk as dynamic by accident. I am afraid that you have to back up the data, re-initialize the disk then copy it back. How much data you have in D drive ? can you temporarily create a folder in C: drive then copy there ?
    Even with third party software such as Mini tool Partition Manager won't allow to convert to basic disk with multiple partitions span.
    Hmm ok. Maybe i'll do it later if i bought new external drive. Right now, i cant do it because the d drive have about 350gb, and ssd that i bought only have 120gb. Thanks once again for your reply, i'll mark this as solved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi there New to this and clueless so sorry in advance! I have a Sony Vaio laptop running windows 10, about 5 years old. It started to lag a lot so I looked up some ways to enhance performance. Read a few articles online and followed a few steps...
Hi, I am sorry im not tech savy and i am trying to put 24tb together and i have 6 external drives of 4tb each. I am in disk management and I am trying to convert each of them from basic disk to a dynamic disk so i can group them together but it...
I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have an old 1Tb drive that used to be the boot (C) drive and also had partitions for two additional drives. I since replaced that 1Tb drive with an SSD and another 2Tb second internal drive. I've inserted the...
- Good morning Folks! :) I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on E: of 75GB then "Expanded" Z: to the full amount available. I was...
Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk Management.If anyone posts a guide to accomplish the same I would be really grateful:)

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32.
Find Us